Looks like we picked up another OL transfer

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not worried about the offense next year. Well score points. Defense???

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not worried about the offense next year. Well score points. Defense???

I agree with the sentiment that nobody wants to play for a team that doesn't score, even defensive players, so I'm fine with the emphasis on offense. But it does seem like we're just writing off next year's defense? We already have what I would charitably call an unproven defensive staff, but we're going to make up for it by having a huge talent deficit?

Are we going to have a lot of 50 to 30 type SEC games next year?

Reactions: patdog

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I agree with the sentiment that nobody wants to play for a team that doesn't score, even defensive players, so I'm fine with the emphasis on offense. But it does seem like we're just writing off next year's defense? We already have what I would charitably call an unproven defensive staff, but we're going to make up for it by having a huge talent deficit?

Not impressed with Lebby's obvious lack of connections or pull with defensive coaches.

Reactions: dgsmith15
Dec 14, 2008

If we are talking against the top teams in conference, that sure would be alot more entertaining than 38-3 or 42-10.

against middle pack or lower teams, you can win shootouts with powerful offense.

That said, it would still be nice to have a competent defense.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Just a quick look. Out of the 21 high school guys 10 are Defense. I guess that's ok. Out of the 15 portal guys only 5 are defense. I don't think that is good. Hopefully they are rectifying that.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

I'm still hopeful that we aren't really as bad on defense as it appeared last year.

But if we're planning to win 50-30, go ahead and gear up for another coaching search in 3 years.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
I’m with concern for our defense. You guys are also assuming Lebby’s offense next year is going to blow the doors off our SEC opponents next year. I don’t get that yet.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’m with concern for our defense. You guys are also assuming Lebby’s offense next year is going to blow the doors off our SEC opponents next year. I don’t get that yet.
I don't think his offense is going to blow the doors off of any good teams. But I expect it will be a significant improvement over last year. I think defense will be about the same, if not slightly worse.

Reactions: GloryDawg

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
Everybody keeps acting like our defense is gonna be *** next year.

We have Jones, Rogers and Pollock as options at corner (I understand that those are underwhelming options) but 2 were highly recruited and have a year under their belt and one that’s had a good full year to 2 years to get right after a major knee injury and one that got a ton of PT as a freshmen last season.

Safety has Keys who missed time with injury, Albert who missed time with injury, Washington and Smith who was very highly recruited plus Ellington. Decent room there

Linebackers have Blanton, and Lewis with a bunch of other young very talented guys like Tillman, Gillmore, Sledge and Hinton

DL has Anderson who showed really good flashes last season, Williams and Dinkins who are really good but were banged up all year this past season, Russell, Head and The Auburn transfer for more depth.

I agree there are no superstars there but I don’t think that’s a bad group in the 1-2 deep. Good enough to be top 70 defensive unit in my opinion. All of those names I mentioned really don’t include any of the recruits brought in with this years class either.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I'm still hopeful that we aren't really as bad on defense as it appeared last year.

But if we're planning to win 50-30, go ahead and gear up for another coaching search in 3 years.
I was not suggesting that we were going to win 50-30. I think we're going to show some life on offense but I don't think we're going to be dominant by any means.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

We have Jones, Rogers and Pollock as options at corner (I understand that those are underwhelming options) but 2 were highly recruited and have a year under their belt and one that’s had a good full year to 2 years to get right after a major knee injury and one that got a ton of PT as a freshmen last season.

Safety has Keys who missed time with injury, Albert who missed time with injury, Washington and Smith who was very highly recruited plus Ellington. Decent room there

Linebackers have Blanton, and Lewis with a bunch of other young very talented guys like Tillman, Gillmore, Sledge and Hinton

DL has Anderson who showed really good flashes last season, Williams and Dinkins who are really good but were banged up all year this past season, Russell, Head and The Auburn transfer for more depth.

I agree there are no superstars there but I don’t think that’s a bad group in the 1-2 deep. Good enough to be top 70 defensive unit in my opinion. All of those names I mentioned really don’t include any of the recruits brought in with this years class either.
Isn't Purvis coming back? He played both LB and DE.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I don't think anybody is suggesting that Eastern Kentucky, ASU, Toledo, and Umass are going to drop 50 on us. I am concerned that we're going to be mediocre enough on defense that potential 5th and 6th win games like Florida and Arkansas are going to require our offense to be on fire to keep us in the game.

Semi-OT, I am just noticing how weird our schedule is next year. Starting off with 3 OOC is not ideal to me, and it puts a ton of pressure on Lebby to have the offense firing right out of the gate. We basically need to start 4-0 to have a good season. Even starting 3-1, then you're talking about being 3-4 going into a must win game at home against Arkansas and then getting Umass.

Be nice if we had a game we weren't going to win anyway be early while we work out some kinks with teh new coaching staff.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I don't think anybody is suggesting that Eastern Kentucky, ASU, Toledo, and Umass are going to drop 50 on us. I am concerned that we're going to be mediocre enough on defense that potential 5th and 6th win games like Florida and Arkansas are going to require our offense to be on fire to keep us in the game.

Semi-OT, I am just noticing how weird our schedule is next year. Starting off with 3 OOC is not ideal to me, and it puts a ton of pressure on Lebby to have the offense firing right out of the gate. We basically need to start 4-0 to have a good season. Even starting 3-1, then you're talking about being 3-4 going into a must win game at home against Arkansas and then getting Umass.

Be nice if we had a game we weren't going to win anyway be early while we work out some kinks with teh new coaching staff.
I think we will want to work out those kinks and (hopefully) gain confidence during those OOC games. That's preferable to me. I wouldn't want another LSU punch in the nuts early next season.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016

Weird take but okay. Seems like a 4-0 start would at least instill some confidence. Not that I expect that to happen with a totally unknown team.
I wonder how big our Spring Scrimmage Crowd will be on Super Bulldog Weekend? I think they would be a good way to show our support to this new team. Of course, it wouldn't hurt if our Baseball team is worth a crap to help with the SG crowd.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I think we will want to work out those kinks and (hopefully) gain confidence during those OOC games. That's preferable to me. I wouldn't want another LSU punch in the nuts early next season.
Yea, that's preferable, as long as you win. My thing is we just can't afford to lose a game we should win or even really a toss up next year.

Hopefully we'll find out we weren't as bad as we looked this year but if we don't, it's very possible that we will only have 5 games where we have equal or better talent (and that may be giving Arkansas too little credit; don't really know what they have coming back) and then we will be relying on a team like Florida or Auburn underachieving compared to their talent for us to get to 6.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Weird take but okay. Seems like a 4-0 start would at least instill some confidence. Not that I expect that to happen with a totally unknown team.
I wonder how big our Spring Scrimmage Crowd will be on Super Bulldog Weekend? I think they would be a good way to show our support to this new team. Of course, it wouldn't hurt if our Baseball team is worth a crap to help with the SG crowd.
If we get to 4-0, then my point is moot. But if we drop a game to ASU or Toledo because we're still figuring out the playbook, that's going to be much more painful than losing worse than we otherwise would to say, LSU.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login