Looming Rail Strike

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
The fact that I have to explain this says alot but yes. To the rescue for Biden. It's as predictable as death and taxes that whenever the potential for a dark cloud comes over the White House, Dorn will come to the rescue. Now that I think about it, you're pretty good at that yourself. Which makes my explaining even more redundant.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Some of that article is wrong (the numbers for restoring amtrack service to the gulf coast is off by an order of magnitude; I think Mississippi is putting up more than that. And adding Amtrak would be disruptive to more valuable freight service), but the one thing it has right is that not regulating pricing of the railroads was a mistake. It also misses the best argument for that, which is that it is damn near criminal to use eminent domain to build out track and then allow railroads to essentially price as 10-15% less than trucking. Not sure the best way to do it, but I think one option to look at is have the rail system scheduled and maintained by a statutory, non-profit body and then let more or less unregulated rail companies compete on it. And let private developers have the ability to build out rail lines like they can transmission lines in the electric industry.

The article addresses how the 'disruption' argument is bullshite.

I don't see why eminent domain track matters for pricing to compete with trucking that runs on eminent domain roads? I would also bet the railroads pay for far more of the upkeep of their track than the trucking companies pay for their roads, so if anything you got this argument completely bass ackwards.

Hard to have unregulated companies compete when we've allowed them to consolidate already. We gonna break them up like Ma Bell? (I hope that reference isn't dating me too terribly these days.)

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don't know what you are arguing here, other than a pathological need to be against unions. If it's a PTO day that has to be pre-approved...and others here have said that's the case...then it's not a sick day. No one ever said it was about if they got paid for a day they have to show up for when sick? They want to be able to call in sick once a year, and are being denied it apparently. So stop calling them liars over demanding a single sick day.

I'm saying it's irrelevant whether you call it PTO or sick leave. If you feel sick and don't work, and you still get paid for that day, then saying you don't get a single sick day is a little disingenuous. I have had jobs with vacation and sick leave and jobs with just PTO and the jobs with just PTO are better. Separating sick leave and vacation essentially ends up giving your less diligent and/or more dishonest employees more vacation.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Interesting that Amtrak is cancelling routes ahead of the strike as well. Didn't realize how dependent they are on freight railroads everywhere but the eastern seaboard.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Mark me down as so far below your intelligence level that this makes zero sense to me. I'll just continue along over here in the corner with my dunce hat on...

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Just this week the GOP decided to bring up federal abortion regulations (months after giving the power to the states). Don't think for one second they would do something else stupid before November. They will find a way to shoot themselves in the foot every time.

They're not shooting themselves in the foot. It's better for a lot of politicians to be in the minority party. Just rail on the opposing party and say a lot of stupid **** but not actually be accountable for anything.

Pretty sure McConnell doesn't want the leadership back right now because he doesn't want to have to work deals with they type of people who would be definition be needed to form that majority. It's a lot less headache to negotiate with democrats and the 12-15 members of his caucus that are the right combination of safe for reelection and also squishy.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Well that is nonsensical. There's not an administration that wouldn't step in and try to help in some way, given the scale of potential impact to the country. Biden isn't special in that way. I suspect any decent presidential administration would do similar.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
I'm saying it's irrelevant whether you call it PTO or sick leave. If you feel sick and don't work, and you still get paid for that day, then saying you don't get a single sick day is a little disingenuous. I have had jobs with vacation and sick leave and jobs with just PTO and the jobs with just PTO are better. Separating sick leave and vacation essentially ends up giving your less diligent and/or more dishonest employees more vacation.

It's not irrelevant if it has to be pre-approved you mendacious little ****. Because then when you attempt to call in sick, it's not pre-approved use of PTO so it's come in or be fired. But you know this, and only you can answer why you're lying about it on purpose.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
I think I'm going to wait for the digest version of this thread to appear in this week's SPS Magazine, and I'll decide my opinion from there.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The article addresses how the 'disruption' argument is bullshite.
It really doesn't. The main problem is from New Orleans to probably Bay St. Louis. Lots of single track in that area and no siding, and it would be expensive to add it because of the terrain, but more importantly probably not feasible to get through NEPA, or at least not in the next decade. The study they reference as "independent" really wasn't. Basically were asked to justify a result and they did. CSX's study is likewise ********, but there is a truth in the middle there somewhere. It certainly is possible to run amtrak on the same lines. It would be a pain for some of the industry, but certainly manageable for a high value line. But for a line that's going to lose money and mainly be a novelty?

I don't see why eminent domain track matters for pricing to compete with trucking that runs on eminent domain roads? I would also bet the railroads pay for far more of the upkeep of their track than the trucking companies pay for their roads, so if anything you got this argument completely bass ackwards.
Trucks use a general public good available to everybody. Not sure if they come closer to paying the actual cost than normal cars or not. They pay more in taxes, but they also put a lot more wear and tear on the roads. Railtracks are also different than say gas pipelines and electric transmission lines. Besides being available to whoever is willing to bid on them, high prices and windfall profits to pipeline or transmission owners actually incentivize more construction. They don't incentivize more track construction because it's basically impossible to build them in todays environment.

Hard to have unregulated companies compete when we've allowed them to consolidate already. We gonna break them up like Ma Bell? (I hope that reference isn't dating me too terribly these days.)
The barrier to entry for competing railroads is mainly access to the tracks. You'd have lots of short lines either expand or pop up if they had access to track. There would certainly be some problems iwth going that route just like there are problems with electric and gas transmission. There are just tradeoffs with those type of things that tend towards a natural monopoly because of upfront investment. A regulated entity is going to be inefficient also, just in different ways. But I think we are well past the "pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered" point with railroads.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
It really doesn't. The main problem is from New Orleans to probably Bay St. Louis. Lots of single track in that area and no siding, and it would be expensive to add it because of the terrain, but more importantly probably not feasible to get through NEPA, or at least not in the next decade. The study they reference as "independent" really wasn't. Basically were asked to justify a result and they did. CSX's study is likewise ********, but there is a truth in the middle there somewhere. It certainly is possible to run amtrak on the same lines. It would be a pain for some of the industry, but certainly manageable for a high value line. But for a line that's going to lose money and mainly be a novelty?

Trucks use a general public good available to everybody. Not sure if they come closer to paying the actual cost than normal cars or not. They pay more in taxes, but they also put a lot more wear and tear on the roads. Railtracks are also different than say gas pipelines and electric transmission lines. Besides being available to whoever is willing to bid on them, high prices and windfall profits to pipeline or transmission owners actually incentivize more construction. They don't incentivize more track construction because it's basically impossible to build them in todays environment.

The barrier to entry for competing railroads is mainly access to the tracks. You'd have lots of short lines either expand or pop up if they had access to track. There would certainly be some problems iwth going that route just like there are problems with electric and gas transmission. There are just tradeoffs with those type of things that tend towards a natural monopoly because of upfront investment. A regulated entity is going to be inefficient also, just in different ways. But I think we are well past the "pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered" point with railroads.

None of your 3 paragraphs even attempted to address the argument I made. You really need to go take a dump and stop spewing your ******** on here.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I think I'm going to wait for the digest version of this thread to appear in this week's SPS Magazine, and I'll decide my opinion from there.

JUST ANOTHER SHEEPLE BELIEVING THE LAMESTREAM MEDIA!!1!***

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
That's how the big brokers roll. Sure their stock holders are happy -- maybe not today... but at some point.

Large brokers are not able to set OTR domestic pricing. They follow pricing and do not lead pricing.
This has been shown countless times in studies as there is a lag between rates both when increasing and when decreasing.
Even the largest OTR domestic broker had only a miniscule % of the market- under 5% last I saw.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I know this is sarcasm, but I'm in the trucking industry and there is zero chance that happens the way that freight brokers are ******* around with freight rates right now. Rates were excellent last year when there was the backlog at the ports and there were about 50% more new trucking companies per day than usual, but then the big brokers colluded to increase profits while fuel prices skyrocketed and it chased most of the newbies out of the industry.
1- collusion does not exist among the large brokers. It absolutely does not exist.
2- brokers do no set rates, they chase rates. This means brokers are behind the market as cost(pay to carriers) increases and behind when cost decreases. Brokers pay above average when Estes are high and declining because they don't have thebl power to influence rates. They pay what they need and bill what they can.
3- an increased file average for individual loads does not mean collusion. Industries all over have seen record profits on a per unit basis over the last few years.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Well that is nonsensical. There's not an administration that wouldn't step in and try to help in some way, given the scale of potential impact to the country. Biden isn't special in that way. I suspect any decent presidential administration would do similar.

I took it as sarcasm. You need to turn your meter on. *****

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Should the government force people to work regardless of conditions or pay?

If it is going to hurt the country as a whole they have the power to do it. I don't think the hold up is about conditions or pay. I think they are ok with that part of the deal. It's only two of the twelve unions that have not agreed to the new deal. To answer your question if we can't get water, bread, rice, and other goods to the grocery stores, heating oil, oil and other essential things yes the government should step in. In most case the Government should stay out of collective bargaining.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's not irrelevant if it has to be pre-approved you mendacious little ****. Because then when you attempt to call in sick, it's not pre-approved use of PTO so it's come in or be fired. But you know this, and only you can answer why you're lying about it on purpose.

Most companies with PTO and not sick days/vacationdays require that PTO be submitted in advance for preplanned time off and also require that PTO be submitted in advance or as soon as reasonably possible for unplanned time off. Saying they don't have sick days when they do have PTO doesn't mean they don't get paid when they are sick. It's certainly possible that CN has a use it or lose it PTO policy and they don't allow PTO to be used for unscheduled sick days so that every sick day is just an unpaid day. The Class I's seem to be full of people that relish having government granted protections and being generally unaccountable for anything, so certainly I can see them doing that if they can get away with it. And while people will put up with a lot for relatively high pay and a pension, I'm still skeptical CN can get away with that and wouldn't assume they can unless somebody with knowledge actually says that's the case.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
That's very specific. So you are saying he is making the same amount he was ten years ago?

I'm saying the top rate of his pay has not changed. Obviously if you know anything about hourly wages, when you hire on it takes a certain amount of time, say 2 years or whatever to top out on your grade. After being topped out....no. No cost of living or other type increases. Which is what I typed in plain English. Do you work for the railroad or have inside knowledge of the situation ???

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I'm saying the top rate of his pay has not changed. Obviously if you know anything about hourly wages, when you hire on it takes a certain amount of time, say 2 years or whatever to top out on your grade. After being topped out....no. No cost of living or other type increases. Which is what I typed in plain English. Do you work for the railroad or have inside knowledge of the situation ???

I don't have any specific knowledge of CN but I have dealt with people in a few different situations who have claimed to not have gotten a raise despite having gotten a raise every year, just because those raises were basically guaranteed with minimal performance, hence my skepticism of the claim.

I will say that I've never dealt with any company where you could feasibly top out your pay in two years without there being a performance issue. The few I've worked for with well defined pay ranges still generally allowed people to stick around in the same position for a decade before maxing it out and you generally only dealt with it for people at the end of their career that had plateaued as very few employees would stick around a decade without advancing at least some. So definitely was not considering that people might top out their pay in two years and then stick around for another 8.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
If it is going to hurt the country as a whole they have the power to do it. I don't think the hold up is about conditions or pay. I think they are ok with that part of the deal. It's only two of the twelve unions that have not agreed to the new deal. To answer your question if we can't get water, bread, rice, and other goods to the grocery stores, heating oil, oil and other essential things yes the government should step in. In most case the Government should stay out of collective bargaining.

I am not saying you are wrong or right, I will say I am surprised to read this opinion from you though.
Should these people also be forced to work, or are they free to opt out thru resignation/quitting?

I dont often see people advocate that the government should be allowed to tell people they must work.

fireworks4jeffy

Apr 28, 2015
It's is a dangerous game to ever assume there is a level of Shitiness that a Class I Railroad wont' stoop to, but I am going to risk it and call BS on every claim other than the being on call 14 consecutive days. For crew work, yes, you have to coordinate PTO, so if people try to take PTO after it's been denied they probably are penalized for it and it can be hard for new employees to get the time they want off. I also don't doubt there have been employees fired after missing work to go to doctors appointments or even funerals, but I would bet that that's not really why they are fired. There probably has been a crazy supervisor somewhere in the country that has fired an employee literally for using PTO or UPTO to go to a funeral, but it's not like that's going to be standard practice.

And the sick day stuff is just ********. Saying they want an additional day of PTO doesn't sound compelling, so they use the fact that they get PTO to use how they want rather than PTO designated as vacation and PTO designated as sick days to claim they don't get a single sick day.

ETA: People that haven't been exposed to it really don't understand how constraining some crew work is. The really ****** ones are crews for which you really only need a certain number of people and adding an extra person for cushion when somebody is on vacation doesn't really make the work go faster. It's just dead weight. So for those you end up having to have a floater to fill in for somebody to take vacation or is sick or no shows. Or you can have still operate if one person is missing but not two, so people that schedule PTO get asked to come in when somebody else gets sick or no shows. You usually get compensated for how rough it is, but it's a big tradeoff. And while good employees can get a ton of leeway because they're hard to replace, poor employees find themselves unable to say no to much or they will get replaced.
You can "risk it and call BS" or you could read literally anything that's been written on this topic in the last year.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/3angy3/freight-rail-train-disaster-avoidable-boeing

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Large brokers are not able to set OTR domestic pricing. They follow pricing and do not lead pricing.
This has been shown countless times in studies as there is a lag between rates both when increasing and when decreasing.
Even the largest OTR domestic broker had only a miniscule % of the market- under 5% last I saw.

MERCY SAKES ALIVE, IT'S A TRUCKER DEBATE

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
I’ve got family with combined 100 years of RR work. Raises are non existent. What the Union is saying is true and I’m as conservative as can be but these folks are getting railroaded by their employers

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Amy farmer that sells to point of sale that requires rail is 17ed up the *** without lube. Just in time for harvest too.

Hopefully it won’t go on for a long time because once harvest kicks into gear everywhere north of St Louis it’s going to be rough. Especially farmers in the Dakotas and parts of Kansas and Nebraska who ship a lot of their product by rail to the Pacific Northwest.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
This article is actually about the labor conditions, it's very good -
https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dg...licy-is-pushing-railroad-workers-to-the-brink

Well, the links so far posted in this thread were literally written in the last year and only provided one-sided claims that were ambiguous. And most of the quick google searches return superficial stuff with similarly one-sided but still unclear claims.

The Vice article surprisingly seems like real journalism with actual clear statements that can be fact checked.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I am not saying you are wrong or right, I will say I am surprised to read this opinion from you though.
Should these people also be forced to work, or are they free to opt out thru resignation/quitting?

I dont often see people advocate that the government should be allowed to tell people they must work.

The government can say go back to work. The government can stop a strike. You don't have to go to back to work. You can go find another job. The Government can force you to join the military if they want. They make you pay taxes. They can force you to take a vaccine. They told business they had to shut down during the pandemic. They can force factories to stop manufacturing one items and start manufacturing something else. In times of emergency the Government has a lot of power. It needs to be that way. Imagine China attacking the United State through Mexico and the rail road workers refused to transport tanks to the front. What does the Government do then? We already have a supply problem. If the rails shut down people will go hungry. That is an emergency. We are still considered under a emergency. That is how Biden justified forgiving student loans. Like it or not that's the way it is.

Like I said the Government should stay out of Collective Bargaining but the rails shutting down will be devastating to the United States at this moment of time.

Last edited:

fireworks4jeffy

Apr 28, 2015
Yeah sorry the sarcasm wasn't called for on my end. That 2nd one I shared was written by Aaron Gordon, he did an amazing job covering NYC transportation issues for a long time. He's great.

RookieDawg

Sep 5, 2022
That sounds a lot like socialism! Anyway the fear they have now with the current workforce on the RR, Is that they are willing to quit, they are young and not willing to sacrifice to establish seniority. Believe me it takes time, and if you don’t have any, this is a brutal place to work, sleeping in ****** motels 4 deep to save per deim, because it doesn’t pay enough for your room, let alone food and travel. We all did because “it was a good job”, and it is now, with almost 20 yrs in, because I can choose a good job. A ton of guys have to get in where seniority let’s them.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
I only get a raise if I work harder and grow my business. I can’t relate to this union strike topic. But, Arlo’s version of the song is definitely the better version.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
And I'm sure this "administration" will take a hard line in these "negotiations" **

I think Biden is a puppet but this lays at the feet of all of Congress and no matter which side of the isle is involved I expect problems because the strike will probably grow into a huge problem before there is any real attempt to fix the issue and our Legislative Branch rarely does anything proactively unless it lays on the platform of their party's agenda nn

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
That sounds a lot like socialism! Anyway the fear they have now with the current workforce on the RR, Is that they are willing to quit, they are young and not willing to sacrifice to establish seniority. Believe me it takes time, and if you don’t have any, this is a brutal place to work, sleeping in ****** motels 4 deep to save per deim, because it doesn’t pay enough for your room, let alone food and travel. We all did because “it was a good job”, and it is now, with almost 20 yrs in, because I can choose a good job. A ton of guys have to get in where seniority let’s them.

In time of emergencies we have always lost our civil liberties. WWII a private citizen could not own gold. The Government issued ration cards. You could not buy certain items from any one. You could not sell certain items. Men were taken from their homes and sent over seas to die and they had no say in it. Look at the civil liberties we have lost because of 9-11. Hell when I was in the Marine Corps they would not let anyone who was a E3 or less get married. When I went to Desert Storm we did not fly on a military aircraft. We flew in a United Airline 747. They were forced to move troops around. If the rails shut down this country will be in trouble. I am on the side of he rail road workers but having food on the table, clean drinking water, fertilizer for the farmers, heating oil for the winter, wheat to make bread, rice to boil is more important right now. Despite what the Big Guy says things are bad and Americans are in trouble. Strike will make it worse.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I go turkey hunting every year in Kansas. The hotel I normally stay at always has a bunch of railroad guys staying there… all piled in a room like you said. Fun group of guys though. Came in from a hunt last year and they were all sitting on the tailgate of a truck grilling on a cheap grill with a cooler of beer. Invited my friends and me to join them for a burger.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login