Love this idea - let's get some excitement

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Season 5 What GIF by Sony Pictures Television

I'm old and out of touch. You can add me to the list @DesotoCountyDawg .

maroontide06

Dec 14, 2023
Was this the cat who was at the State-Southern Miss Exhibition game in Hattiesburg last year? If so, it was nothing but a racket.

maroontide06

Dec 14, 2023
Would that be The Nice List, The Naughty List, or This Dumba** is getting on my very last Nerve List? He has multiple!
It would be the latter. The concept is good in theory, but with all the other noise going on, it's a cluster17.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
MSU has had an awesome atmosphere many times over the years (in a general sense, as in all year, not one specific game). In general the whole Kang Era, until the end. Croom killed it completely, then Mullen instantly brought it back in 2009. We had a few dips in there from time to time, and one of the notable dip years was 2012. Guess what we had playing right as the team was about to come out? Yep, a DJ.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Seriously?
I'm not going to more than one game anyway. A DJ isn't going to make me quit going to my annual game. But it's certainly not going to make me want to go to more. It's just a damn chore to sit there for 3-1/2-4 hours just to watch 60 minutes of football.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I'm not going to more than one game anyway. A DJ isn't going to make me quit going to my annual game. But it's certainly not going to make me want to go to more. It's just a damn chore to sit there for 3-1/2-4 hours just to watch 60 minutes of football.
Pat - what live sports do you enjoy in person? I'm really curious.

Reactions: Dawgg
Aug 3, 2011
Soccer, tennis & baseball. I would enjoy football without the 3.75 minute time outs sandwiched around 5 minutes of actual football.
I mean you aren’t wrong. I do miss the days of the games that weren’t televised and how the action kept moving. It was jarring on a prime time game and how the Red Hat Official guy came out and everyone groaned and sat down.

But thats just the “new” reality of all games being televised and the programs making an absolute killing. I don’t see where having an actual DJ playing during those breaks harms anything vs Johnny in the Athletic Department playing songs. The DJ isn’t increasing the breaks, just filling them with something that is meant to be exciting. I guess it comes down to arguing the merits of the two as song selectors.

Interesting to be against it at this point. Not like it’s going to matter this year tho since they haven’t fixed the sound system.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Is it too conspicuous that they used pigment-challenged music in this hype vid?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
We had a few dips in there from time to time, and one of the notable dip years was 2012. Guess what we had playing right as the team was about to come out? Yep, a DJ.
So you're saying 2012 was a "soulless" year for DWS?

patdog

May 28, 2007
I mean you aren’t wrong. I do miss the days of the games that weren’t televised and how the action kept moving. It was jarring on a prime time game and how the Red Hat Official guy came out and everyone groaned and sat down.

But thats just the “new” reality of all games being televised and the programs making an absolute killing. I don’t see where having an actual DJ playing during those breaks harms anything vs Johnny in the Athletic Department playing songs. The DJ isn’t increasing the breaks, just filling them with something that is meant to be exciting. I guess it comes down to arguing the merits of the two as song selectors.

Interesting to be against it at this point. Not like it’s going to matter this year tho since they haven’t fixed the sound system.
Agree. The DJ is no worse that what we’ve had for years. Probably a little better. But it’s not going to get me to more games.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

bulldognation

Jan 26, 2004
Over the years, no matter how HYPED I got, it did not transfer to the field.

So, ,,,,nothing wrong with enthusiasm, but.....

The team has to get things done.
Exactly this. Even if you hate the pregame hype show, you still get up for that first series. DWS can be rockin' and the crowd all hyped up... buuuuuut when we get the ball and go 3 and out it's gone and in the ditch kaput.

We didn't do much of anything last year to get me really excited headed into this season. Yeah we got a new coach and all that fresh, shiny hope that goes with it. But if we get out there in three weeks and don't execute and struggle against lesser opponents, then I can watch that at home.

So yeah, a DJ is cool and all, but I hope our athletics dept recognizes that the best marketing is the product on the field.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Ok, don’t want to sound like old negative guy here - but I don’t like it. OM had a DJ at the egg bowl two years ago and I felt it honestly messed up the atmosphere. Every time he mixed things up and changed the beat, the crowd would die down. It’s be great for 30 seconds, then he’d switch up the rhythm and fans would get lost.

I know that sounds dumb but I swear - me just being an observer there, it kind of did the opposite of hyping people up.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Wow, haven't seen this side of Patdog before. I guess it's true, getting old makes you grumpy and grouchy. Walter Matthau is calling.....**

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

jlove20

Sep 18, 2017
Does the DJ work with the Famous Maroon Band to ensure some cohesiveness? I didn't attend any basketball games last season to see how it worked with the pep band.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login