LSU’s AD is a big game hunter

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
hiring big name coaches Brian Kelly and Kim Mulkey, not to mention stealing Johnson away from ASU and already paying big dividends. What is Zac Selmon?

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
He also hired MBB coach Mike McMahon who had a terrible first year. Many Tiger fans are already calling for his head. Sometimes you hit and sometimes you miss.

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
Several posters have made comments about how Selmon wants to get more experience on the job before having to make a major coaching hire. I think it's ridiculous to believe that we are paying him to just sit and wait to do his job. I don't believe that's the case at all.

With the baseball situation, it's clearly a $$$ thing, and one man can't simply make a decision on his own that will cost the university millions. When you don't have tens of millions in the kitty, the AD alone can't make those kinds of decisions. We have to have donors willing to step up and give on an as-needed basis, so they essentially make the decisions.

We are essentially an upper-middle class family struggling to live an upper class lifestyle.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Well they went and got him from TAMU. He hired Jimbo. So far that really hasn't panned out for them
His LSU hires have worked out in short order, except for Matt McMahon. And McMahon had to *literally* rebuild the entire LSU roster. So that might be another home run.

I just thought it was funny you've got Woodward hitting bombs next door at LSU and Selmon comes in lays down a weak bunt to the pitcher. I'm not calling for his firing or saying he was a bad hire. And I'm interested in seeing what he will do with fundraising and NIL, but his personnel moves haven't knocked my socks off.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Several posters have made comments about how Selmon wants to get more experience on the job before having to make a major coaching hire. I think it's ridiculous to believe that we are paying him to just sit and wait to do his job. I don't believe that's the case at all.

With the baseball situation, it's clearly a $$$ thing, and one man can't simply make a decision on his own that will cost the university millions. When you don't have tens of millions in the kitty, the AD alone can't make those kinds of decisions. We have to have donors willing to step up and give on an as-needed basis, so they essentially make the decisions.

We are essentially an upper-middle class family struggling to live an upper class lifestyle.
Then our fans need to stop acting like we're an elite program with deeper pockets than everyone except for maybe LSU. Elite programs don't make bad moves because of money.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
His LSU hires have worked out in short order, except for Matt McMahon. And McMahon had to *literally* rebuild the entire LSU roster. So that might be another home run.

I just thought it was funny you've got Woodward hitting bombs next door at LSU and Selmon comes in lays down a weak bunt to the pitcher. I'm not calling for his firing or saying he was a bad hire. And I'm interested in seeing what he will do with fundraising and NIL, but his personnel moves haven't knocked my socks off.
We don't have the money to compete to bring in an AD like Woodard or the hires he makes. He's got stones but he has the boosters to back him up. LSU has a more willingness to win at all cost than TAMU and knows how to. TAMU doesn't know how to win big.

Reactions: Neovenator

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I was told we have an elite baseball program. Guess that was always a lie we told ourselves.
The only thing elite about our baseball program is the fan support and a very nice stadium. Our history is very good, not elite. We were elite for about a five year stretch that culminated in the CWS title in 2021. Also had some elite seasons in the 1980s. Other than that, our history is just very good. We’ve only had one SEC championship since 1989. Not elite.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I was told we have an elite baseball program. Guess that was always a lie we told ourselves.
We have a top 20 baseball program, historically. It's not elite. If you judge by Omaha appearances, and add a little extra weight for titles, we are like #15. That's the equivalent of like an Auburn or Oregon in football. We aren't LSU in baseball, sorry if that hurts your feelings (or more specifically, your agenda).

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Then our fans need to stop acting like we're an elite program with deeper pockets than everyone except for maybe LSU. Elite programs don't make bad moves because of money.
CFB is all about money now, period. It was leaning that way in the last decade already. The NIL sealed the deal. You still have to have good coaching to be successful, but if you don't have deep pockets you aren't going to be able to hang with the upper teir.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
We have a top 20 baseball program, historically. It's not elite. If you judge by Omaha appearances, and add a little extra weight for titles, we are like #15. That's the equivalent of like an Auburn or Oregon in football. We aren't LSU in baseball, sorry if that hurts your feelings (or more specifically, your agenda).
I think it's hilarious how we are all up in arms this season about baseball and the new AD comes in is like meh, whatever. We're going to tank another season just to save a few million bucks. I guess that's the reality for a top 30-35 athletic department. I hope he's saving money to funnel into the football budget.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Can't go after big game with at
The only thing elite about our baseball program is the fan support and a very nice stadium. Our history is very good, not elite. We were elite for about a five year stretch that culminated in the CWS title in 2021. Also had some elite seasons in the 1980s. Other than that, our history is just very good. We’ve only had one SEC championship since 1989. Not elite.
I'd take very good in a heartbeat right now. At present we are dog s**t awful.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login