MAIS FB classification

dawgstate

Jul 25, 2013
I recall discussion over the years on the new/recent classification system used. Anyone have the latest numbers for males 8-11 for each school? Also, anyone hear of 5A and 6A combining or expanding 6A when they re-evaluate it next year?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Have not heard a thing but I wouldn’t be surprised at anything MAIS does.

I’m not as plugged in as I once was when my alma mater was still open but there are generally three schools of thought:

1. Combine classes and districts to cut down on travel.
2. Have uneven districts to cut down on travel.
3. Increase participation by having more classifications.

The past several years, MAIS has consistently been going the third way with the occasional added use of point two.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Have not heard a thing but I wouldn’t be surprised at anything MAIS does.

I’m not as plugged in as I once was when my alma mater was still open but there are generally three schools of thought:

1. Combine classes and districts to cut down on travel.
2. Have uneven districts to cut down on travel.
3. Increase participation by having more classifications.

The past several years, MAIS has consistently been going the third way with the occasional added use of point two.
They ought to look into expanding the 6A divisions into other states. I see that some teams routinely play an Oak Forest Academy in LA, and Pulaski Academy in Little Rock. Surely there are some others around.

Or play public school ball with a multiplier.

But we can't keep this up as far as winning a state title vs. 6 teams. Of course, 7A/6A/5A is only 24 teams or so, but still, that's a significant amount. I mean let's get real. I guess I'm the only one who sees it this way. Georgia just cut 6A recently and now has like 56 teams in 6A.

And I get it, there's some serious Jackson Metro parent rivalry going on. And when they're in the bubble, it's tough to get them out.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Oak Forest is already a member of MAIS.

Pulaski is in the AAA— that’s the Arkansas Activities Association.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Nope.

Mississippi private schools play MHSAA schools.

Check out the MAIS schedule here:

One notable? matchup is Greenville Christian at Gulfport on the 30th.
Not single games. I mean play in the division and classification. Like UMS-Wright does in Alabama, and as you said above, Pulaski Academy. Thus, giving them a chance to play for a championship with some level of depth.

As I've said before MAIS 6A is like a travel ball tournament. Season is pool play, playoffs are bracket play. And it's the same teams every year, and they all make the playoff.

Obviously I recognize this opens the door for even more recruiting, but the others have been coexisting for years.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Ah yeah. I get what you mean. And I’d be in favor of it.

I don’t know if that’ll happen though.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not single games. I mean play in the division and classification. Like UMS-Wright does in Alabama, and as you said above, Pulaski Academy. Thus, giving them a chance to play for a championship with some level of depth.

As I've said before MAIS 6A is like a travel ball tournament. Season is pool play, playoffs are bracket play. And it's the same teams every year, and they all make the playoff.

Obviously I recognize this opens the door for even more recruiting, but the others have been coexisting for years.
Scores from MAIS 6A games vs other academies in lower divisions last weekend: 49-7, 45-0, 42-20 (losing team scored 20 vs the bench late). Why are these games even played?

Reactions: dawgstate

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Scores from MAIS 6A games vs other academies in lower divisions last weekend: 49-7, 45-0, 42-20 (losing team scored 20 vs the bench late). Why are these games even played?
They’re allegedly more to the benefit of the lower division schools to prepare them for the playoffs but I’m wondering the same as you since these are all 5A versus 6A games…

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Don't think you'll ever get agreement on a multiplier. And honestly there's not a single multiplier that is reasonable. Your Jackson schools that can and do recruit are just a different animal than most private schools in the state. Just generally private schools in places with a decent public schools are a different animal because they will always get some players that can't play at the public school that make them better than their size because they aren't drawing from a more or less random population. Occasionally it goes the other way because they can't keep any true star because they want to go play against better competition at public schools.

You'd also probably need different multipliers for different sports. I would assume that outside of your places like Madison Central, you private schools are generally going to punch well above their weight in tennis and golf. Probably also in soccer, again with a few exceptions for public schools with strong soccer programs?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Don't look at the number of A's when it comes to MAIS. It does not correlate with Public Schools.
Yes you can, when it comes to 6A. If I remember correctly, they are that much bigger than the rest.

Which is kinda the problem with MS 7A. So much consolidation in a few places.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
1.3 is the multiplier that will work in Mississippi. It would place the JA/Prep/MRA/Hartfield in the 6A with the Ridgeland/Warren Central type schools. It's a good place for them to start. Just as it did in Alabama, they would quick find success.

As bad as the MHSAA is, the MAIS is worse. Good ol boy system holding Mississippi high school sports back.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Don't think you'll ever get agreement on a multiplier. And honestly there's not a single multiplier that is reasonable. Your Jackson schools that can and do recruit are just a different animal than most private schools in the state. Just generally private schools in places with a decent public schools are a different animal because they will always get some players that can't play at the public school that make them better than their size because they aren't drawing from a more or less random population. Occasionally it goes the other way because they can't keep any true star because they want to go play against better competition at public schools.

You'd also probably need different multipliers for different sports. I would assume that outside of your places like Madison Central, you private schools are generally going to punch well above their weight in tennis and golf. Probably also in soccer, again with a few exceptions for public schools with strong soccer programs?
How do other states do it so successfully?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The Jackson 4 have been told it’s an unwritten 1.5 multiplier. Which would put them 4 or 5a and might actually have some in one and some in another depending on the year of reclass

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
How do other states do it so successfully?
Less obstinance? Public schools that are less concerned about the perception if private schools are allowed in and do well? Private schools that are less concerned about winning championships in sports? More functional association that is more attractive to private schools?

Really no clue. Have other states generally picked off a private school here or there? Or have they merged a bunch at once? I think it'd probably be easier to grab one or two at a time and kind of feel out what multiplier works. I sort of thought that was the unstated point of scheduling games against each other to begin with. Just get a feel of how the competition really stacks up to get people on both sides comfortable with a multiplier.

But I think right now the big private schools have it pretty good. Schedule some big name games for excitement and credibility and competition but at the end of the day have a huge advantage in winning league championships. It's like they are Clemson and FSU in the ACC. Usually only one or two real threats to them each year. I could see them not wanting to rock that boat.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Yes you can, when it comes to 6A. If I remember correctly, they are that much bigger than the rest.

Which is kinda the problem with MS 7A. So much consolidation in a few places.
So, you are saying 6A private schools have the same number of students in a 6A public school?

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
I've been told the following as far as MAIS/MHSAA combination

1. The Jackson 4 believe they should be competing with Madison Central/Germantown/Brandon/Northwest Rankin. If the MHSAA is going to go with a 7A classification (another conversation), there is no way that the Jackson 4 can get there. It would take close to a 2.0 multiplier, which is way too much.

2. Two of the Jackson 4 would be okay with 6A - thats Ridgeland, Warren Central, etc. The other two are not okay with it.

3. Once you get outside the Jackson 4, there is concern with being competitive with any public school, even without a multiplier. Starkville Academy is going to have trouble with New Hope and Caledonia in just about every sport.

4. Once you get way down to the schools that are basically still segregation academies, there are those concerns as well.

Here's a suggestion that other states use that would be worth considering if we had adults in the room.

Private schools that want to play in the MHSAA take a 1.3 multiplier.
A limit on the number of public school transfers.
Different classifications for different sports. Jackson Academy could be 7A in volleyball, Jackson Prep could be 7A in baseball, but both should be 5A/6A in football. If a private school wins a championship, their multiplier goes up .1 in that sport only.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Less obstinance? Public schools that are less concerned about the perception if private schools are allowed in and do well? Private schools that are less concerned about winning championships in sports? More functional association that is more attractive to private schools?

Really no clue. Have other states generally picked off a private school here or there? Or have they merged a bunch at once? I think it'd probably be easier to grab one or two at a time and kind of feel out what multiplier works. I sort of thought that was the unstated point of scheduling games against each other to begin with. Just get a feel of how the competition really stacks up to get people on both sides comfortable with a multiplier.

But I think right now the big private schools have it pretty good. Schedule some big name games for excitement and credibility and competition but at the end of the day have a huge advantage in winning league championships. It's like they are Clemson and FSU in the ACC. Usually only one or two real threats to them each year. I could see them not wanting to rock that boat.
I'm looking at this through an idealistic point of view. I know why the schools don't want it to happen. Obviously the parents don't want to play that competition and the school wants to keep the parents happy, I mean yeah that's why all this has gone on as long as it has. But that's still no reason to think it can't successfully be done.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

1. The Jackson 4 believe they should be competing with Madison Central/Germantown/Brandon/Northwest Rankin. If the MHSAA is going to go with a 7A classification (another conversation), there is no way that the Jackson 4 can get there. It would take close to a 2.0 multiplier, which is way too much.

2. Two of the Jackson 4 would be okay with 6A - thats Ridgeland, Warren Central, etc. The other two are not okay with it.

3. Once you get outside the Jackson 4, there is concern with being competitive with any public school, even without a multiplier. Starkville Academy is going to have trouble with New Hope and Caledonia in just about every sport.

4. Once you get way down to the schools that are basically still segregation academies, there are those concerns as well.

Here's a suggestion that other states use that would be worth considering if we had adults in the room.

Different classifications for different sports. Jackson Academy could be 7A in volleyball, Jackson Prep could be 7A in baseball, but both should be 5A/6A in football. If a private school wins a championship, their multiplier goes up .1 in that sport only.
The MHSAA already has 7A.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So, you are saying 6A private schools have the same number of students in a 6A public school?
No, no, no, not what I meant. I misunderstood your first sentence when you said the As don't correlate. I thought you were saying that 6A MAIS isn't much different than MAIS 5A, and I disagreed with that. I think the curve gets exponential at the top, same with 6A to 7A public.

I agree that MAIS 6A not MHSAA 6A. Any private school who played MHSAA would fall wherever they fell, when you take enrollment x multiplier.

Reactions: GloryDawg

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022

Tennessee has 2 divisions, essentially splitting almost every private school from public, under the TSSAA framework. Private and public schools used to be combined, but they moved to a split after trying an attendance multiplier and then after Brentwood Academy sued the TSSAA and it went to the Supreme Court.

Georgia has a combined private / public for regular season and now split at playoff time for the smallest schools. They use a multipler for out of zone students. Starting this year, Georgia will separate the private and public schools in Class A through 3A for the playoffs.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

I know that. It's stupid and simply a money grab. We don't have enough schools to have 7 classifications.
We don't, but the 7A schools might hurt some of the 6A. The number of students just goes up so much between those.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Tennessee has 2 divisions, essentially splitting almost every private school from public, under the TSSAA framework. Private and public schools used to be combined, but they moved to a split after trying an attendance multiplier and then after Brentwood Academy sued the TSSAA and it went to the Supreme Court.

Georgia has a combined private / public for regular season and now split at playoff time for the smallest schools. They use a multipler for out of zone students. Starting this year, Georgia will separate the private and public schools in Class A through 3A for the playoffs.
Geez, see that's the issue right there. You try to make the private schools account for their advantages, and they sue you. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but still. But hey.....why not have our MAIS 6A reach out to the TN schools and have a bit bigger division? That's an option.

I did notice GA has a lot of private schools mixed in. They also GAPPS which is mostly private. But I'm not really concerned with the smaller schools - do what you want there. It's the big, heavy-hitting suburban-parent-fueled machines that I'm specifically targeting. Don't be bragging to me about that 6A title, Pinelakers.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I'm looking at this through an idealistic point of view. I know why the schools don't want it to happen. Obviously the parents don't want to play that competition and the school wants to keep the parents happy, I mean yeah that's why all this has gone on as long as it has. But that's still no reason to think it can't successfully be done.
People overestimate championships role in this. Go look at the 5A public school districts for Canton and Provine (the most comparable to where a Jackson school may be) and tell me why anyone would sign up for all that travel to undesirable locations that would likely not provide much more competition. And in some instances it would be a huge waste of time. Not to mention the travel cost issue of a private school.

I think you would have to guarantee the Jackson 4 their own district with maybe 1 or 2 other local public’s mixed in.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I wasn't speaking to what can be done. I was just noting that I don't think you'll get an agreement on a multiplier, and then some things that would make getting that agreement even more difficult.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I wasn't speaking to what can be done. I was just noting that I don't think you'll get an agreement on a multiplier, and then some things that would make getting that agreement even more difficult.
Well from reading above, appears others states are having issues too, so, may be a moot point. Even more reason for the private schools to expand their reach and play each other across state lines.

I'm a fan of private schools, honestly, but I call out the fake nonsense when I see it.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Best way i've seen it done. Come up with multipliers. Whatever everyone agrees with is fine for the most part. Im for higher than 1.3 but whatever. For a private school, if they win the state championship in a sport, that sport is automatically one class up the next re-class. It can return to their enrollment slot if they dont win state in 2 seasons.

So for example. The enrollement numbers put prep in 5A. They win the baseball state championship in that 2 year period, baseball is automtically a 6A school the next re-class. If they win 6A state, they go to 7A in the next re-class.... but all other sports stay at the enrollment slot

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Also on point #2--- the jackson schools dont get a vote whether theyd be OK or not with someone entering a classification. NW Rankin didnt like being in the North for many years, didnt matter.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
People overestimate championships role in this. Go look at the 5A public school districts for Canton and Provine (the most comparable to where a Jackson school may be) and tell me why anyone would sign up for all that travel to undesirable locations that would likely not provide much more competition. And in some instances it would be a huge waste of time. Not to mention the travel cost issue of a private school.

I think you would have to guarantee the Jackson 4 their own district with maybe 1 or 2 other local public’s mixed in.
Thats downright laughable. No way the Jackson 4 are going to get their own district and mix in local public schools mixed in. If they want it, they'll be classificed and re-classed like every other school.

Keep in mind the MHSAA isnt begging for the MAIS schools. If they want in, they'll have to follow what the MHSAA wants done.. and they arent going to cater to the Jackson 4 one bit.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Thats downright laughable. No way the Jackson 4 are going to get their own district and mix in local public schools mixed in. If they want it, they'll be classificed and re-classed like every other school.

Keep in mind the MHSAA isnt begging for the MAIS schools. If they want in, they'll have to follow what the MHSAA wants done.. and they arent going to cater to the Jackson 4 one bit.
Well therein lies the issue, like he said....MAIS doesn't want in either. So the ideal scenario does not happen, which is often the case in the good ole State of Mis Sipi.

Reactions: 8dog

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Also on point #2--- the jackson schools dont get a vote whether theyd be OK or not with someone entering a classification. NW Rankin didnt like being in the North for many years, didnt matter.
I know they dont get a vote, but they will not move unless it's favorable.

Northwest Rankin is headed back to the North next year it seems. Early numbers say Murrah and Pearl are going to be passed by Hancock and West Harrison. That will add two coast schools and push two Region 3 teams North. Don't see how NWR won't be one of those.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

I agree. And the Jackson 4 don’t care. Like I said no one wants to sign up for those districts they would be in. It would be an awful experience. I’ve always said there are no great answers. The current situation is better. Play each other with no travel and pick and choose some public’s to challenge your kids.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I know they dont get a vote, but they will not move unless it's favorable.

Northwest Rankin is headed back to the North next year it seems. Early numbers say Murrah and Pearl are going to be passed by Hancock and West Harrison. That will add two coast schools and push two Region 3 teams North. Don't see how NWR won't be one of those.
Interesting. That would only push 1 school north though. Region 3-6A could go from very weak to really strong losing 2 Jackson teams & adding Pearl & Simpson County (assuming the new school will be open by then).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login