MAIS FB classification

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I know they dont get a vote, but they will not move unless it's favorable.

Northwest Rankin is headed back to the North next year it seems. Early numbers say Murrah and Pearl are going to be passed by Hancock and West Harrison. That will add two coast schools and push two Region 3 teams North. Don't see how NWR won't be one of those.
i dont understand what you mean by they wont move unless its favorable?

If you are referring to the private schools in jackson.. they are never moving. And even if they do move and its favorable for 2 years, after that they'll be at the mercy of the MHSAA... who id seriously doubt caters to them one bit

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I agree. And the Jackson 4 don’t care. Like I said no one wants to sign up for those districts they would be in. It would be an awful experience. I’ve always said there are no great answers.
There are really no big issues with how it is now. If a time comes where the jackson schools want more competition, Im sure it can be made to happen. But they dont. They like their bubble and basically every athlete in those schools can leave with a state championship if they played the right sport.

What should really happen is the public schools refuse to play them, allowed them in their tournaments, etc. Then that would put the feet to the fire of a school like Prep.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
There are really no big issues with how it is now. If a time comes where the jackson schools want more competition, Im sure it can be made to happen. But they dont. They like their bubble and basically every athlete in those schools can leave with a state championship if they played the right sport.

What should really happen is the public schools refuse to play them, allowed them in their tournaments, etc. Then that would put the feet to the fire of a school like Prep.
The metro Jackson public’s refuse to play them already. But all 4 are finding good comp outside of that. I think people want a solution but realize there isn’t one. Some would like a regional league with the best privates from surrounding states but the travel costs would just be really high.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The metro Jackson public’s refuse to play them already. But all 4 are finding good comp outside of that. I think people want a solution but realize there isn’t one. Some would like a regional league with the best privates from surrounding states but the travel costs would just be really high.
as metro jackson should... Others should as well. If Jackson Prep knew they wouldnt be allowed in the public school baseball tournaments or be allowed to play other quality MHSAA competition in this state things would be different.

Thats what alabama and some other southern state have adopted and it got some private schools to turn public.

Last edited:

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Word is PCS has held a couple of meetings about the possibility of leaving the private school association and joining in the public school MHSAA. Mainly because of their travel issues with how far away they are to the other few big private schools. What all would it take to do this? Also separate question, do private schools lose out some kind of points system by scheduling non conference games with public schools? Other words does it negatively affect them to do so with regards to when it comes to seeding in the playoffs?

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Word is PCS has held a couple of meetings about the possibility of leaving the private school association and joining in the public school MHSAA. Mainly because of their travel issues with how far away they are to the other few big private schools. What all would it take to do this? Also separate question, do private schools lose out some kind of points system by scheduling non conference games with public schools? Other words does it negatively affect them to do so with regards to when it comes to seeding in the playoffs?
PCS would be angling to be a Class 4A school in MHSAA with the Hattiesburg area schools, right?

Class 5A is also a possibility too.

MAIS’s power points rule info is here:

Reactions: bulldoghair

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
as metro jackson should... Others should as well. If Jackson Prep knew they wouldnt be allowed in the public school baseball tournaments or be allowed to play other quality MHSAA competition in this state things would be different.

Thats what alabama and some other southern state have adopted and it got some private schools to turn public.
Why should public schools give a ****? I mean, I get why metro Jackson schools would prefer not to play them as they have a lot more to lose than they do to gain. But why would any public schools be pissy about them playing other MHSAA schools.

patdog

May 28, 2007
PCS would be angling to be a Class 4A school in MHSAA with the Hattiesburg area schools, right?

Class 5A is also a possibility too.

MAIS’s power points rule info is here:

PCS in 4A with schools like Sumrall, Purvis, and Forrest Co. AHS would be a win for them. Just try to avoid Columbia. Even then, that would just be one team to beat their brains in instead of 3.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I've heard this too. I've also heard the reason St. Joe replaced Parklane in 6A was for similar travel concerns. From the St. Joe parents I've spoken with, they were not happy moving up to 6A last year.

dawgfan1013

May 1, 2022
Geez, see that's the issue right there. You try to make the private schools account for their advantages, and they sue you. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but still. But hey.....why not have our MAIS 6A reach out to the TN schools and have a bit bigger division? That's an option.

I did notice GA has a lot of private schools mixed in. They also GAPPS which is mostly private. But I'm not really concerned with the smaller schools - do what you want there. It's the big, heavy-hitting suburban-parent-fueled machines that I'm specifically targeting. Don't be bragging to me about that 6A title, Pinelakers.
There is a lot more to that story than BA just going after the TSSAA.
Geez, see that's the issue right there. You try to make the private schools account for their advantages, and they sue you. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but still. But hey.....why not have our MAIS 6A reach out to the TN schools and have a bit bigger division? That's an option.

I did notice GA has a lot of private schools mixed in. They also GAPPS which is mostly private. But I'm not really concerned with the smaller schools - do what you want there. It's the big, heavy-hitting suburban-parent-fueled machines that I'm specifically targeting. Don't be bragging to me about that 6A title, Pinelakers.
Here is a little history and story about all of the TSSAA and BA stuff. Choose to read it or not but it has pretty clear explanation of what happened and why. The multiplier had nothing to do with it. It was all centered around recruiting even though their were rules in place limiting the number of participants receiving financial aid per sport for each school giving aid.

coachtaylor.sixpack

Aug 10, 2013
There are several smaller private schools that play in the MHSAA. There is no multiplier now and that is what the public school coaches have asked for.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
So do private school get no points for scheduling a public school?
No points at all.

Games between MAIS schools and those from other associations are not counted.

As far as MAIS is concerned, they’re all that matters.

(yes, I did intentionally make THAT comparison.)

patdog

May 28, 2007
I know they dont get a vote, but they will not move unless it's favorable.

Northwest Rankin is headed back to the North next year it seems. Early numbers say Murrah and Pearl are going to be passed by Hancock and West Harrison. That will add two coast schools and push two Region 3 teams North. Don't see how NWR won't be one of those.
What do the numbers say about Forest Hill & Jim Hill? I think one or both may move up to 7A after absorbing the Wingfield students.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I've heard this too. I've also heard the reason St. Joe replaced Parklane in 6A was for similar travel concerns. From the St. Joe parents I've spoken with, they were not happy moving up to 6A last year.
That would be surprising. Parkland isn’t more than an hour further for 3 of the MAIS 6A schools and is closer for 1.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
But we can't keep this up as far as winning a state title vs. 6 teams. Of course, 7A/6A/5A is only 24 teams or so, but still, that's a significant amount. I mean let's get real. I guess I'm the only one who sees it this way. Georgia just cut 6A recently and now has like 56 teams in 6A.
What's the problem with this? Every school/player/coach wants to compete for a state championship. More, smaller divisions is one way to make that happen. In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter, it's not like it's a SEC or Big 10 championship, other than the two schools who played for it, no one else will remember within a year.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
What do the numbers say about Forest Hill & Jim Hill? I think one or both may move up to 7A after absorbing the Wingfield students.
I think Forest Hill has around 800 students and Jim Hill is around 750. I know Hillcrest put something out after the Wingfield closure was announced recruiting families to come to Hillcrest. To your point though, I would think If either Forest Hill or Jim Hill received the majority of those students, they would be bumped up to 7A

Reactions: patdog

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Forest Hill and Jim Hill split the Wingfield kids basically. Forest Hill and Jim Hill are both around 1000 students on paper right now. Maybe even closer to 1100. Now they only get about 850 to 900 kids regurally showing up on a daily basis given that JPS is a very fluid district in terms of numbers.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think Forest Hill has around 800 students and Jim Hill is around 750. I know Hillcrest put something out after the Wingfield closure was announced recruiting families to come to Hillcrest. To your point though, I would think If either Forest Hill or Jim Hill received the majority of those students, they would be bumped up to 7A
I doubt many of those students go to Hillcrest. If they would, they'd already be there. I think at least one of Forest Hill and Jim Hill will move up. Possibly both, but I doubt it.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
No points at all.

Games between MAIS schools and those from other associations are not counted.

As far as MAIS is concerned, they’re all that matters.

(yes, I did intentionally make THAT comparison.)
I recently discovered this but was unsure if it was true. This has to be the main reason we don’t get to see more private/ public school matchups. I always thought the public schools didn’t want to play but no I know it’s the MAIS that doesn’t want to play the public. That point system is dumb.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Why should public schools give a ****? I mean, I get why metro Jackson schools would prefer not to play them as they have a lot more to lose than they do to gain. But why would any public schools be pissy about them playing other MHSAA schools.
because your playing a team or school that doesnt play by the same rules you do not only in how they get players but also sometimes in the way the games are played. Some private school rules regarding games/pitchers/etc are different in baseball and some other sports than the public school rule is/are.

Plus its about taking care of your own. If we are all playing by the same rules, the same governing body, we are all in the same ditch together... why would we give someone else the benefits of what we are going through without being in that same ditch with us.... if you want what we got, come on, if not go play your private schools.

And finally... some of the tie-breakers use non-region/conference/area teams to help break those. Playing an MAIS school does nothing for you tie-breaker wise. It doesnt even count.

Basically an MHSAA school playing an MAIS school does absolutely nothing for the MHSAA school... and before someone says competiton... there are plenty of MHSAA schools they can go get that competition at.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
because your playing a team or school that doesnt play by the same rules you do not only in how they get players but also sometimes in the way the games are played. Some private school rules regarding games/pitchers/etc are different in baseball and some other sports than the public school rule is/are.

Plus its about taking care of your own. If we are all playing by the same rules, the same governing body, we are all in the same ditch together... why would we give someone else the benefits of what we are going through without being in that same ditch with us.... if you want what we got, come on, if not go play your private schools.

And finally... some of the tie-breakers use non-region/conference/area teams to help break those. Playing an MAIS school does nothing for you tie-breaker wise. It doesnt even count.

Do you work in the schools? This seems like a weird as hell view from the outside looking in. It's not the 17ing army. It's not a ditch. It's just high school sports. If you can play a competitive game against a school within 30 miles of you instead of 60, you should feel free. Certainly take into account tie breaker rules and whatever, and if you have a nearby private school and a nearby school in your organization that both need a game and you can only play one, you should look out for other schools in your organization first, but to not play just because they are in a different organization that doesn't really even compete with yours just seems weirdly tribal.

Basically an MHSAA school playing an MAIS school does absolutely nothing for the MHSAA school... and before someone says competiton... there are plenty of MHSAA schools they can go get that competition at.
??? It gets them a game, the same as it gets the MAIS school. I don't know how many times it makes sense for an MHSAA school to play a MAIS school. The schools that could probably benefit from saving travel time and expense probably don't have any private schools near them that are comparable in size. The ones near the Jackson schools (and I guess PCS? Are they big now?) probably have enough nearby schools that there may not be any reason to schedule them. But if it makes sense for them, they should do it and not worry about some weird tribalism of MHSAA versus MAIS.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Here's what prelim numbers say:

Pearl and Murrah down to 6A.

Hancock and Forest Hill to 7A. Jim Hill numbers still have them at 6A. Hancock takes a Region 4 spot and moves a Region 4 team to Region 3. Region 3 will lose one to Region 2 (NWR is most likely). If they put Forest Hill in Region 2, it will work, but if Forest Hill goes to Region 3, chaos is going to ensue in realignment.

New Simpson Central will be 6A. Lafayette may move up to 6A as well. Vicksburg and.or Callaway to 5A.

Reactions: patdog

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
I can't speak for the MHSAA/MAIS as a whole, but I know that there is bad blood between the Jackson 4 and the most of the 7A MHSAA schools over recruiting athletes. Germantown in particular has been raided by the private schools in the past couple years.

SouthMsDawg02

Oct 2, 2023
Here's what prelim numbers say:

Pearl and Murrah down to 6A.

Hancock and Forest Hill to 7A. Jim Hill numbers still have them at 6A. Hancock takes a Region 4 spot and moves a Region 4 team to Region 3. Region 3 will lose one to Region 2 (NWR is most likely). If they put Forest Hill in Region 2, it will work, but if Forest Hill goes to Region 3, chaos is going to ensue in realignment.

New Simpson Central will be 6A. Lafayette may move up to 6A as well. Vicksburg and.or Callaway to 5A.
I'm not sure that Magee and Mendenhall will be merging any time soon from what ive heard.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Do you work in the schools? This seems like a weird as hell view from the outside looking in. It's not the 17ing army. It's not a ditch. It's just high school sports. If you can play a competitive game against a school within 30 miles of you instead of 60, you should feel free. Certainly take into account tie breaker rules and whatever, and if you have a nearby private school and a nearby school in your organization that both need a game and you can only play one, you should look out for other schools in your organization first, but to not play just because they are in a different organization that doesn't really even compete with yours just seems weirdly tribal.

??? It gets them a game, the same as it gets the MAIS school. I don't know how many times it makes sense for an MHSAA school to play a MAIS school. The schools that could probably benefit from saving travel time and expense probably don't have any private schools near them that are comparable in size. The ones near the Jackson schools (and I guess PCS? Are they big now?) probably have enough nearby schools that there may not be any reason to schedule them. But if it makes sense for them, they should do it and not worry about some weird tribalism of MHSAA versus MAIS.
no school is having hard times getting "games" unless they arent running good athletic programs.. which wouldnt do anyone any benefit from playing.

I do get what you are saying.. but the getting a game, or saving travel, or not being able to find teams in your own association just isnt applicable. There is always a team of the same size, in your association, that can be played. For example if you are traveling to Jackson there are plenty of good teams in all classifications that you can benefit from playing that arent MAIS teams.

Its not tribal. It just makes more sense/benefit for ALL member schools to play schools who are playing by the same rules you are... and there are plenty of those to choose from. Where as for schools like Prep, etc they need/seek better competition because there isnt that much of their caliber in MAIS.

Many other states have these policies in place and if the end goal is for schools to combine into 1 then this helps create that... which i thought was the topic of the thread. If you want all schools to compete for the same state championship.. then you have to quit giving schools that arent in your association the benefits of the association while they arent in it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm not sure that Magee and Mendenhall will be merging any time soon from what ive heard.
Was wondering why I hadn't heard anything about it. From Google, looks like it's in litigation, but the school district expects to win and ultimately consolidate. Doesn't sound like it will happen for this upcoming classification cycle though.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login