Marcello reporting Spurrier and Hollingshead are out

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
I hope we can retain the Strength Conditioning staff, they seemed very good

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Hopefully Arnett has somebody impressive lined up already. It's no doubt the offense could improve but it could easily go south on us. I have been a fan long enough to remember much worse teams

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Chucksizzle

Dec 17, 2022
No reason to get rid of hollingshead. Spurrier wasn’t a oc but had a very good eye for talent as a recruiter. If they run off Miller this thing is headed down.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
No reason to get rid of hollingshead. Spurrier wasn’t a oc but had a very good eye for talent as a recruiter. If they run off Miller this thing is headed down.
You likely have to get rid of both to bring in Bumphis. We won’t be having two wr coaches going forward. Stinks about Mele though. I thought our special teams were much improved. Could be him not wanting to coach special teams though to be honest

Chucksizzle

Dec 17, 2022
You likely have to get rid of both to bring in Bumphis. We won’t be having two wr coaches going forward. Stinks about Mele though. I thought our special teams were much improved. Could be him not wanting to coach special teams though to be honest
Looks like a purge of Leachs staff, I don’t see Miller sticking around long.
bad concept all the way around if you replace Mike leach and the staff he built with Briles.

Reactions: mo7888

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Looks like a purge of Leachs staff, I don’t see Miller sticking around long.
bad concept all the way around if you replace Mike leach and the staff he built with Briles.
Don't forget Coach Bump. Briles plus Bump means 11 wins and 40 points a game next year*****. I made sure to add the sarcasterisks for some of you. You know you are reading this and saying " hell yeah, at least. prolly a natty"

Chucksizzle

Dec 17, 2022
Turnover is the norm on college football staffs.

Coach Leach’s staffs were the exception, not the rule.
if you say so, let’s see where we are in 3 years.

if Leachs entire staff is gone and Briles is the new culture that doesn’t pan out, good luck.

everything is in place now to build on what leach had put in place, pass blocking o lineman, the back from katy, good young receivers, parson and Locke.....why dismantle all of that ?

Chucksizzle

Dec 17, 2022
Don't forget Coach Bump. Briles plus Bump means 11 wins and 40 points a game next year*****. I made sure to add the sarcasterisks for some of you. You know you are reading this and saying " hell yeah, at least. prolly a natty"
Lol, yea.

its insane to Just tear down everything Leach had built. If it takes you back to 5-7 in a year or two, Arnett will be the d c somewhere else and we will be starting all over again.

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
It's hard for me to conceive that we hired a young first time HC in ZA knowing he'd completely gut the current staff. If we were going to gut the staff we'd have conducted a national search. So while I'm sure there will be some turnover and a new OC will have a few guys he wants to bring I don't think we're going to see the sea change some people are insinuating.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
No. There's no reason to automatically assume we're headed down because we lose a few coaches which is what anybody whose followed football long enough expected when there's a HC Change. Arnett was a HC in waiting and I think we're lucky to have him and he's seems happier'n hell to be here. He seems smart as hell to me and deserves the oppourtunity we've given him and he's earned the right to get his staff together for the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdm3045

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Lol, yea.

its insane to Just tear down everything Leach had built. If it takes you back to 5-7 in a year or two, Arnett will be the d c somewhere else and we will be starting all over again.
Not to mention all the players we have returning. I know most are on defense but if we have mass changes it's going to be a cluster17 next year. I guess we will find out tomorrow or sometime this week.

Chucksizzle

Dec 17, 2022
Not to mention all the players we have returning. I know most are on defense but if we have mass changes it's going to be a cluster17 next year. I guess we will find out tomorrow or sometime this week.
Yea, some guys won’t fit in a Briles offense, the young lineman were all hand picked to be pass blockers in the air raid.
if they run off Miller I think it’s nuts. Big gamble. You are looking at a ten win season next year that could be up in smoke if you change schemes.
I don’t see why they couldn’t have went hafter Harrell earlier or went and got Hatcher who would have fit in nicely.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
It's hard for me to conceive that we hired a young first time HC in ZA knowing he'd completely gut the current staff. If we were going to gut the staff we'd have conducted a national search. So while I'm sure there will be some turnover and a new OC will have a few guys he wants to bring I don't think we're going to see the sea change some people are insinuating.
If we’d have conducted a national search the recruiting class is not here and 20% of f the current team are already in the portal. Plus who’s conducting the search? We have no AD.

The new OC is going to bring in some staff just like every other OC hire in the past has. Y’all are making more out of this than it is…

Reactions: Darryl Steight

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
So....if we gut the staff and radically change the offense they're still leaving because they don't fit anymore.... and in this day and age with the Portal you shift your focus there...

Reactions: Chucksizzle

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
I'm sure new coaches hire who they know, and trust on the way up.
I've watched a video conversation (or two) by one of the mentioned coaches, that I understand why he will not
be the O coordinator.

Maybe Stop the freak-out, till we get down the road a bit.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Really ?

if Miller is gone then this A completely different coaching staff and program with no continuity
Didn't mention Miller or Hughes or Brock or McBath. But it did say that there may be other names added later. Not sure if that's accurate but it's reported

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Some of the coaches who were close to Leach may simply want to start fresh somewhere else as well. I'm sure there are a lot of tough emotions there.

Joe Max didn’t recruit this staff to Starkville. Coach Leach did.

You had to see this coming. The common denominator is gone. They band is breaking up.

Chucksizzle

Dec 17, 2022
Didn't mention Miller or Hughes or Brock or McBath. But it did say that there may be other names added later. Not sure if that's accurate but it's reported
I’m seeing up to six are gone. I think Brock will stay as dc so will Hughes. Mcbath and Miller im doubtful on.
This whole thing is weird. I assumed CZA was hired so we could keep things together. If the entire coaching staff is purged and we are going in a different direction anyway, may as well have hired an experienced head coach and gave ZA a raise to stay at DC.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
I’m seeing up to six are gone. I think Brock will stay as dc so will Hughes. Mcbath and Miller im doubtful on.
This whole thing is weird. I assumed CZA was hired so we could keep things together. If the entire coaching staff is purged and we are going in a different direction anyway, may as well have hired an experienced head coach and gave ZA a raise to stay at DC.
Why is this weird? Again, it would be weird if there weren’t wholesale changes.

Chucksizzle

Dec 17, 2022
because we are coming off a nine win season, with all the pieces in place to have a big year next year. The program CML built including all the recruits and staff was heading in the right direction, so you would think we would want to keep some continuity rather than a total rebuild.

CZA is 36 and has never been a HC, no ties to the school, and we just burn it all down and start over ?

it seems a little weird.

Reactions: PBRME

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Peterson is coming as chief of staff, player personnel. Wonder if he is bringing his Brandon OC Wyatt with him ? Wyatt Rogers

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think it's laughable y'all expect Arnett to do everything like Leach would do. Y'all would just turn everything over to current staff and go as is without leaches years of experience running the show. He's not there anymore. arnett was given the galleys it's his choice to make the decisions. A couple weeks ago y'all were praising his hire and saying it was good to keep everyone, but arnett might have his own plan here.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I'll wait until the adjustments have been made before I freak out. I will be shocked if we totally abandon the air raid and go with a spread or something else. I still think we will have a version of the same offense but tweaked. Some new faces and ideas may not be bad as lets face it.....the offense needs a little freshness.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login