Marcello reporting Spurrier and Hollingshead are out

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
This offense certainly could improve. Im disappointed it's all getting blown up but it might be good. I thought Arnett might leave it the same tho or at least not totally change it. Typically coaches bring in people that they know or feel comfortable with, relationships made thru their career. Change is never certain tho. I have seen a lot of crappy coaches come and go here. Usually very unsuccessfully

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Yea, some guys won’t fit in a Briles offense, the young lineman were all hand picked to be pass blockers in the air raid.

Some guys are no longer going to fit no matter what we do. There is no plug and play Mike Leach replacement out there. Whoever we get is going to run a much different system even if it still features some of the familiar concepts of the Air Raid. Things like the wide OL splits, for example, were a Leach specialty that no one else does.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I don't think those coaches leaving was ever not going to happen after the skipper departed. We could stand a fresh pair of eyes in our scheme anyway.

Reactions: patdog

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Why is this weird? Again, it would be weird if there weren’t wholesale changes.
Because the consensus was that CZA was hired to ease the transition so not to expect a whole lot of changes. I did expect a couple or so but we're looking at wholesale changes here so the company line by the so called experts was complete BS. I'm gonna agree w/sizzle. If there were going to be mass changes, why didn't we conduct a search and hire the best person for the job instead of taking the easy way out? Late in the process for some of these guys to have something else lined up.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
I’m hearing the OC is going to be Riley from TCU...announced the day after the NC game…

Modified Air Raid guy with ties to the Leach coaching tree.

Could be BS, but I’d be happy with it.

Chucksizzle

Dec 17, 2022
Because the consensus was that CZA was hired to ease the transition so not to expect a whole lot of changes. I did expect a couple or so but we're looking at wholesale changes here so the company line by the so called experts was complete BS. I'm gonna agree w/sizzle. If there were going to be mass changes, why didn't we conduct a search and hire the best person for the job instead of taking the easy way out? Late in the process for some of these guys to have something else lined up.
That is probably the result of not having an AD in place. an experienced AD who has been around programs being built and rebuilt would probably be guiding these moves with some advice or guard rails.

as you stated, either go with continuity or have a real search.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Garrett Riley would be pretty awesome. I kinda doubt he is leaving TCU to come here for the same title. It's possible but highly unlikely

Reactions: mo7888

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
You would think Riley would stay put at TCU waiting on his call for a HC job. Just don't see him as a possibility.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
He was named HC just a couple of days before signing day. It wasn’t done to necessarily keep a coaching staff together as much as it was to keep a signing class in tact.

Why is it so hard for you to get past what was said three weeks ago? That was 21 news cycles ago.

Reactions: AFDawg

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Lol, yea.

its insane to Just tear down everything Leach had built. If it takes you back to 5-7 in a year or two, Arnett will be the d c somewhere else and we will be starting all over again.
You act like a few coaching changes means MSU is going to the wishbone.

Turnover is the norm in college football. It doesn’t mean a complete overhaul is imminent.

Reactions: mo7888 and AFDawg

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
You act like a few coaching changes means MSU is going to the wishbone.

Turnover is the norm in college football. It doesn’t mean a complete overhaul is imminent.
I'm in this camp too.... I'm concerned about wholesale changes after the moves we made but, I'm also skeptical that CZA really makes wholesale changes because it isn't in his best short term interest. Changing a few coaches doesn't necessarily mean we're throwing out a system it can just mean we're getting different guys to run it. There are obviously going to be some changes but I don't expect them to be as great as some suggest.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login