Marcus Freeman

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Never saw that coming. Not a big splash but they listened to the players. Wonder if it will work out

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
When you're successful, the right move is usually to promote from within, unless there is an obviously better candidate available. I would say there are better candidates available right now. Plus, we all know they are shook at the moment due to Kelly's abrupt departure.

Personally, I think they probably moved too fast. Should have slowed down, let Freeman coach the bowl, see how things played out. I guess they have to keep up for recruiting, and it could work out I guess. Big roll of the dice. I mean Tommy Rees is the OC now....where are the adults in the room? Anyone over 40? Maybe this is what they need.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
It appears that most of Kelly's staff is opting to stay in South Bend and keep working with Freeman rather than go to LSU. Make of that what you will.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Never saw that coming. Not a big splash but they listened to the players. Wonder if it will work out

He has been one of two guys mentioned from the very beginning. It was him or Luke Fickle, that's it. Fickle would have had to have waited most likely until after the playoffs.

You see what has happened to Oklahoma? Players decommitting and transfers etc.. they could be in a shambles.

If you think that he is the guy, you absolutely pull the trigger asap and keep this #4 recruiting class together and prevent transfers. He has had the players' support from the very beginning and that defense of Notre Dame's is a large reason why they were so good. His recruiting at Cincinnati and now at Notre Dame are a large reason why both those teams are good right now.

They keep their OC as well. Could it fall flat? Sure, but if you think he is your guy, don't hesitate.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Outstanding Actor!

This will be him after a few years at Notre Dame:

“There's Not A Day Goes By I Don't Feel Regret. Not because I'm in here, because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then: a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime. I want to talk to him. I want to try to talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone, and this old man is all that's left. I got to live with that.”

UncleChuck

Aug 6, 2021
Suggests to me that:
1. Kelly is not that great to work for
2. Believe their run in ND is more likely to continue than Kelly is to succeed at LSU
3. Want to go to war with Freeman

All the media reports are pointing to Freeman being a guy who has fully won over the program. Him keeping the staff generally intact (or more than usual) seems to support that. Rees is a former QB for the Irish though, so hard to tell what was his biggest motivation to stay.

Kelly has improved multiple programs now (I hesitate to say "build: because we was only at CMich 3 seasons and Cincy was a bowl-eligible team when he got there), but he just does not seem super likable to me.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login