May as well table the Fire Arnett talk until after Kentucky......

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If we win that one, he's coming back 100%. If we lose, firing may be a possibility. Big game this weekend, in other words.

I know it looked bad, but losing on the road at Auburn isn't exactly uncommon for us. Nobody made any decisions based on that game (although it should have been a big indictment). Unfortunately, we still just have too much of that old mentality (as proven with many posters posting 2006 Croom commentary lately about 'talent' and 'budget'). SMH.

Reactions: Dawgg

vandaldawg

Feb 23, 2008
Kentucky isn’t a good team. If we get Will & Woody back, we could win that game. It’s really our only chance to get to 6 wins though.
I hear ya, but neither is Auburn. In fact, Auburn is much worse.

Kentucky is not great, but they are a better coached and more disciplined team than we are. They know their identity most importantly. They will ram it down our throats and we won’t stop it.

And they will stop us enough to win comfortably. I have no faith or belief that this team can beat an evenly talented team or even a less talented team with better coaching.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Ordinarily, I would agree with you, but it's all gonna come down to the Egg Bowl. If Ole Miss thrashes us really badly, he's not coming back. End of story.
I expect a drubbing. They are actually very good this year. Yes it's a down sec but they have won the games they usually drop like lsu and Arkansas

Reactions: Ranchdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Ordinarily, I would agree with you, but it's all gonna come down to the Egg Bowl. If Ole Miss thrashes us really badly, he's not coming back. End of story.
If we can beat Kentucky at home, I don't see Ole Miss killing us. They'll win, but not a beatdown. About like Auburn yesterday. That's really my point - we are going to find out what this team truly is against Kentucky. They have an average QB, not explosive, etc. Defense is OK. We are at home. It's a good gauge. Similar talent - all that stuff.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If we win that one, he's coming back 100%. If we lose, firing may be a possibility. Big game this weekend, in other words.

I know it looked bad, but losing on the road at Auburn isn't exactly uncommon for us. Nobody made any decisions based on that game (although it should have been a big indictment). Unfortunately, we still just have too much of that old mentality (as proven with many posters posting 2006 Croom commentary lately about 'talent' and 'budget'). SMH.
100% in agreement, as bad as the first half was, we had a decent second half and left TDs on the field. I think the UK game will come down to a one-possession game late in the 4th, we may very well win. Don't let UK's performance from yesterday fool you, they were coming off an open date and had the biggest game of their year at home, that game had upset written all over it (and UT was coming off two hard-fought games).

patdog

May 28, 2007
I hear ya, but neither is Auburn. In fact, Auburn is much worse.

Kentucky is not great, but they are a better coached and more disciplined team than we are. They know their identity most importantly. They will ram it down our throats and we won’t stop it.

And they will stop us enough to win comfortably. I have no faith or belief that this team can beat an evenly talented team or even a less talented team with better coaching.
Every game is different. Auburn was on the road. Kentucky will be at home. Not saying we will win. But we’ve got a solid 30-40% chance to.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If we can beat Kentucky at home, I don't see Ole Miss killing us. They'll win, but not a beatdown. About like Auburn yesterday. That's really my point - we are going to find out what this team truly is against Kentucky. They have an average QB, not explosive, etc. Defense is OK. We are at home. It's a good gauge. Similar talent - all that stuff.
Are you seriously comparing Auburn's offense to the Ole Miss offense? Really?

ETA – of course, there were people who thought we would win yesterday's game

Reactions: Ranchdawg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
KY is considerably better than Ark and AU who we struggled against. We scored after AU built their lead. Only thing positive is KY has been trash on the road and we'll at least LOOK (98 unis) like a championship team.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I don’t understand the optimism about KY. We can’t defend the pass. They are a good passing team. Either their qb or wr will be offensive player of the week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I want him gone even if they win out. We sucked during the Arkansas win and we will still suck if we stumble past Kentucky and Texas A&M. Ole Miss is the only team left that’s worth a crap and don’t put it past Kiffin to blow a game.

Reactions: ronpolk

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
One TD at Ark. One TD at Auburn. The UK team I watched last night will score more than one TD v interlocking MSU Saturday.

I'm thinking similar to vs LSU 1998.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022

But I think what everyone is so frustrated about is Auburn isn’t very good. Not good at all really.
That was a game we could have won had we had Rogers and Marks and some competent coaching.
We just went on the road last week and did win a similar game albeit auburns OL is better than the pigs.
But we didn’t win this one and our talent level just isn’t very good, but they are not coached well enough and aren’t really put in position to win this type of game.

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
ESPN showing dogs with 54% chance of win vs KY.....don't know when their algo was last run.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
But I think what everyone is so frustrated about is Auburn isn’t very good. Not good at all really.
That was a game we could have won had we had Rogers and Marks and some competent coaching.
We just went on the road last week and did win a similar game albeit auburns OL is better than the pigs.
But we didn’t win this one and our talent level just isn’t very good, but they are not coached well enough and aren’t really put in position to win this type of game.
I know Auburn is not good, that's why I said we SHOULD be judging by this game, but we won't, because we lil ole moo.

I can't agree with you on our talent. Our talent is fine. We are playing well below it.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022

And that’s the pitiful gauge that many still have. We make LSU look like playoff contenders and even put Jayden Daniels in the Heisman talk, have Benny hill music playing in our heads all Arkansas game long, be out of the game at the half vs a bad Auburn team, have little hope of beating KY at home.. and there is sunshine pumping until Ole Miss skull drags us and then it’s time for blood in the streets.

it’s always the friggen ole miss game. Not the other games we look like bunch of kids playing tag at recess. I figured the past decade would have hung the bar a little higher than that.. but oh well.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
UK seems to really bring an intensity when they've played us in recent years. There's nothing about our team on either side of the ball that makes me believe we will match their intensity. We will go through the motions, mope around between snaps, miss tackles, and get our asses beat.

Just hope we don't look like compete *** when we play USM on our way to 5-7.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I want him gone even if they win out. We sucked during the Arkansas win and we will still suck if we stumble past Kentucky and Texas A&M. Ole Miss is the only team left that’s worth a crap and don’t put it past Kiffin to blow a game.
I would hope it wouldn’t matter if we sneak into a bowl game. If the AD can’t see the obvious coaching issues out there then we need to make a change at coach and AD

Reactions: blitz2Win

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I would hope it wouldn’t matter if we sneak into a bowl game. If the AD can’t see the obvious coaching issues out there then we need to make a change at coach and AD
Agree, the reason we've fumbled around to 4 wins were 1 FCS, 4 INTs, outmanned G5 team, and an SEC have-not team that is beat up and almost quit.

We have not done anything good all year. We have made no gains as a program.

Beating a competent, similarly-talented have-not SEC team like Kentucky, at home, is baseline expectation. But Mark Stoops vs. Arnettz inspires zero confidence. Stoops did come down here and get beat by Moorhead though, so eh.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I think we can all be fairly certain that Arnett isn't going anywhere after one season. For one, barring a scandal, guys just don't get canned after one year. And two, until we get a glimpse of Selmon acting on anything, I refuse to believe that his first act in 12 months of silence will be something that bold.

That said, it's reached the point where it's just not about wins and losses for me. This coaching staff does not pass the eye test in any phase of the game, and there just isn't any part of the program that you can point to and say... well, we're at least alright there. Offense? Nope. Defense? Nope. Special teams? Meh Recruiting? A fat no

This crew should be coaching somewhere in the AAC right now, getting their feet wet, but I haven't seen anything to make me believe that they have any business coaching in the SEC at this stage. Arnett's not going to be let go, but this train is going nowhere

Duggar Hall Desk

Mar 2, 2008
UK seems to really bring an intensity when they've played us in recent years. There's nothing about our team on either side of the ball that makes me believe we will match their intensity. We will go through the motions, mope around between snaps, miss tackles, and get our asses beat.

Just hope we don't look like compete *** when we play USM on our way to 5-7.
This is what baffles me. We finally get a "fiery" head coach and the team looks like it's sleepwalking on Saturdays.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
KY is considerably better than Ark and AU who we struggled against. We scored after AU built their lead. Only thing positive is KY has been trash on the road and we'll at least LOOK (98 unis) like a championship team.
Our secondary can't cover a one legged midget with a blind QB passing to him. How can any of you expect a win?

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Our secondary can't cover a one legged midget with a blind QB passing to him. How can any of you expect a win?
awkward d&d GIF by Hyper RPG

Muttley

Aug 22, 2012
I wanted Arnett to be the guy when he was named last year and he may be the guy somewhere, someday, but I don't see him being successful here.
Best thing to do is cut our losses at the end of the year and find a guy that can coach.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I wanted Arnett to be the guy when he was named last year and he may be the guy somewhere, someday, but I don't see him being successful here.
Best thing to do is cut our losses at the end of the year and find a guy that can coach.
I’m not opposed to the current setup as far as having a defensive head coach. I think it actually remains to be seen what the right setup is for MSU. But Arnett was hired for continuity, and instead of continuing what got him to where he was, his entire premise was correcting all the shlt he thought Leach did wrong. He doomed himself from the beginning.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Kentucky isn’t a good team. If we get Will & Woody back, we could win that game. It’s really our only chance to get to 6 wins though.
Seems the years we don't think we have a chance against Ole Miss they man up and put a hurt on their offense. If Arnett takes control of the defense in planning that week you never know.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login