MBB: MSU-SCAR next day musings

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Pros:
  • Good energy early
  • Shot well overall
  • +1 margin TOs
  • Played hard to the end (especially for an SEC road game)
Areas of concern:
  • Energy level was not well-paced for 40 mins
  • Out rebounded
  • Poor 3PT shooting
  • Situational play execution

Overall:
  • We are a big, physical team which will be a double-edged sword as the season continues
  • SCAR put up 23 3PT and hit on over a third of them
  • Didn't seeing us getting out rebounded. That was mildly surprising.
  • Officiating is officiating -- sometimes its good and sometimes not so good. It all balances out in the end.
  • SEC road games have been and always will be a challenge
Sort of the outcome I expected., although the path to it was slightly different. This was a 2 point game with under :20 to go and didn't go MSU's way. I expect against smaller teams we will be susceptible to looking like bullies to the officials. We have some things to clean up and need to better pace ourselves through a game.

Will be interested to see how they respond at home against TENN. Until then, it's a marathon, not a sprint -- hard to rush to judgement, but much of this can be easily cleaned up quickly as the season progresses.

Badon

Jun 12, 2006
Pros:
  • Good energy early
  • Shot well overall
  • +1 margin TOs
Areas of concern:
  • Out rebounded
  • Poor 3PT shooting

Overall:
  • We are a big, physical team which will be a double-edged sword as the season continues
  • Officiating is officiating -- sometimes its good and sometimes not so good. It all balances out in the end.
Sort of the outcome I expected., although the path to it was slightly different. This was a 2 point game with under :20 to go and didn't go MSU's way. I expect against smaller teams we will be susceptible to looking like bullies to the officials. We have some things to clean up and need to better pace ourselves through a game.

Will be interested to see how they respond at home against TENN. Until then, it's a marathon, not a sprint -- hard to rush to judgement, but much of this can be easily cleaned up quickly as the season progresses.
Further on rebounding: Bell had zero rebounds. As much as he plays, that just can’t happen. Tolu only had 4. I understand rebounding long missed 3’s is a different thing… but 4 out of those two is an anomaly surely. I think Tolu’s rebounding and defensive legs under him will come back slower than his shooting touch.

A positive: Tolu 5 for 5 free throws.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
If we play like this Wednesday Tennessee will beat us by 20. We pretty much have to at least split the Tennessee and Bama games this week.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
If your point guard plays 34 mins and has only 1 assist and your 6ft 10 260lb center plays 20 mins and doesn’t have a rebound you aren’t going to win.
Surprised Nicolas Cage GIF

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Our net only dropped one spot. Still a good bit higher than South Carolina's. We're still in this and we need leadership from our vets down the stretch. Can't get too low it too high.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Pros:
  • Good energy early
  • Shot well overall
  • +1 margin TOs
Areas of concern:
  • Out rebounded
  • Poor 3PT shooting

Overall:

In other words, we look like a football team playing basketball.....then combine that with being on the road, and here we are.

I've often wondered if we need a new recruiting blueprint to get more discipline in here. Or if having all these MS hard bangers is just the way it is.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
In other words, we look like a football team playing basketball.....then combine that with being on the road, and here we are.

I've often wondered if we need a new recruiting blueprint to get more discipline in here. Or if having all these MS hard bangers is just the way it is.

I don’t disagree with this at all. A comment I made to those watching the game yesterday was “MSU fills up the paint and is team that will ‘beat you up’”

Reactions: Darryl Steight

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don’t disagree with this at all. A comment I made to those watching the game yesterday was “MSU fills up the paint and is team that will ‘beat you up’”
That might explain things. You could tell the referees for looking for itty-bitty physical play inside from us to blow the whistle. It sounds like we are getting a reputation for being a physical team. The only. problem with that is it's gonna follow us all season and referees will be looking more closely at our play, and it is awful early in the season have to play the referees and opposing team. I'm not saying it the referees are looking for reason because of conspiracy sake, it's just a reputation thing makes the referees more likely to blow the whistle simply for playing our style of play.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
USC E did a great job of neutralizing our size and physicality by putting emphasis on every flop. Their players were obviously told during practice and reminded in the timeouts that we were a hard nosed defensive team…and one way to combat that is to create contact and flop. It happened over and over…during on and off ball screens, under the basket for rebounds and during their shots…including the dagger with Tolu.

It’s smart coaching and we got schooled. If we only have one guy who can create and make his own shot outside of the paint, it’s going to be a long season. USC just laid the perfect blueprint on how to take advantage of what we do best…bully ball.

We will need Moore and Hub more than ever from outside to take the pressure off of our bigs….and it’s imperative that someone else steps up and starts hitting the 3 ball, regardless of time on the shot clock. We pass up way too many open looks for no reason.

We tend to play better when we play faster….let our bigs clean up some of the misses from the perimeter rather than bang until 3 seconds on the shot clock. Our defense is too good not to be shooting more shots per game. 17. Gave 1 away yesterday. That one is on Jans. Got to be more aggressive, especially on the road.

When we were up by 7 or 8, let Hub shoot every shot from deep until his 17ing arm falls off and step on their necks. We dibble dabble too much when we should be pushing. I know that foul trouble was an issue however…when we are hot, put the big 3 on the floor at the same time plus Moore and Hub and let them bombs away.

Also, Dj and or anyone else not named Moore or Hub cannot possess the ball within the last 2 minutes of each half.

We fumble away more close games than a 17ing jr high girls team. Put the ball in our shooters hands and get the 17 out the way. Go iso

Rant over. Got out coached there

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
Well our 3 point shooting hasn't been cleaned up easily for 2 seasons now. I don't know Davis shoots 3's. The two I saw yesterday hit the damn backboard before hitting any rim.

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
Disappointed in yesterday’s game, but it seems everyone has forgotten this. Everyone. Bama @ Vandy (by far the worst team in the league) went down to the wire yesterday. SC will be middle of the pack. Not much separating the top from the bottom.

Reactions: Mr. Cook
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login