Memphis is on a roll

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Just wait until the big earthquake hits Memphis. It will make Atlanta in The Walking Dead look like a picnic.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Memphis had black mayors for a long time

This is an honest question. I was surprised to see that Memphis has a Caucasian mayor.

yeah I’m stereotyping but I was surprised. Should I be?

Prior to this guy. He tries to not rock the boat one way or the other…so the problems Memphis has don’t get better. The two police chiefs he has hired have been very soft on crime, and they seem to be well received by the people who vote in Memphis. The latest one was chief in Durham, NC when evidence in her husband’s alleged pedophile case disappeared from the evidence room, if I remember correctly. She also didn’t follow her own rules about proper firearm storage and now her personal pistol is out on the streets illegally because it was stolen out of her car.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
This is an honest question. I was surprised to see that Memphis has a Caucasian mayor.

yeah I’m stereotyping but I was surprised. Should I be?

People vote for the democrat in Memphis. Strickland was the democrat.

The congressional district that covers Memphis is also represented by a white guy. But that white guy happens to be the biggest piece of **** in congress. And I'm fully aware that there many significant pieces of **** up there when I say that.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Hatfield close the door and turn off the lights behind you many of us are cutting out

I'm going to defend Hats here. Memphis is home for him. I grew up just outside the city. I like to poke fun at the city because it's dangerous and certainly not getting any better. But there are tons of folks living in midtown and east Memphis who love it there and aren't going anywhere. I'm not going to begrudge them for that.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Well, we are going to help make that happen. We live in the heart of East Memphis and my wife finally told me this morning that she is definite on moving to Starkville. We gotta survive through the school year because we don't want to move our daughter mid-year but after that I get to escape this hell hole.

For any Memphis lovers, it's not just the crime. My power has been out 14 days so far in 2022, my internet out for 22 days (I work remotely from home). My electric bill, for when the power is working, went up 40% this summer. My wife had her purse stolen while getting gas. There was an armed car jacking in the exact place my 14 year old daughter was about 10 minutes after she left (in one of the nicest neighborhoods in Memphis mind you). Oak Court Mall, about a mile from my house, is so bad the police have just told everyone to stay the hell away and are barely responding to crimes over there unless it's violent. And then yesterday my daughter is on lockdown in her church youth group while we sit here with cops racing around our house and helicopters flying overhead with search lights. I'm tired of living in a 3rd world country.

You might want to tell your listing agent to leave all of that out of the home and neighborhood description.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
No joke. If you want to crap on a man's home, let everyone know where you live.

I'm going to defend Hats here. Memphis is home for him. I grew up just outside the city. I like to poke fun at the city because it's dangerous and certainly not getting any better. But there are tons of folks living in midtown and east Memphis who love it there and aren't going anywhere. I'm not going to begrudge them for that.

At least we get equal opportunity for **** talk.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's not getting any better at the moment, but pendulum's swing. Nobody would have ever thought cities would become as safe as they did through the nineties and 2000's. Memphis probably won't ever be a nice, safe city, but it still has some areas that are going to continue to be appealing enough to give it a a chance to improve and be decent and functional.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Two? Are they looking for two random dudes to make an example of?

Those two specific dudes are making facebook live and instagram videos that are threatening random attacks on white people. It's probably a copycat thing after dude earlier in the week.

Most of these guys just need a really good *** whipping. If they had a daddy who cared about them, that's what they'd get, and then we'd see less of stuff like this.

Jacknut1

May 23, 2010
Well, we are going to help make that happen. We live in the heart of East Memphis and my wife finally told me this morning that she is definite on moving to Starkville. We gotta survive through the school year because we don't want to move our daughter mid-year but after that I get to escape this hell hole.

For any Memphis lovers, it's not just the crime. My power has been out 14 days so far in 2022, my internet out for 22 days (I work remotely from home). My electric bill, for when the power is working, went up 40% this summer. My wife had her purse stolen while getting gas. There was an armed car jacking in the exact place my 14 year old daughter was about 10 minutes after she left (in one of the nicest neighborhoods in Memphis mind you). Oak Court Mall, about a mile from my house, is so bad the police have just told everyone to stay the hell away and are barely responding to crimes over there unless it's violent. And then yesterday my daughter is on lockdown in her church youth group while we sit here with cops racing around our house and helicopters flying overhead with search lights. I'm tired of living in a 3rd world country.

We're probably neighbors. I live in Pigeon Estates. I'm not where you are yet, but I'm slowly getting there.

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005
Meanwhile Memphis is making a plea to the business community about how it’s great and safe to conduct business in Memphis:

https://www.fox13memphis.com/news/l...is/62C7PBV3LRBDBFHRYTPVJHRSWU/?outputType=amp

[FONT=&quot]
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Thieves ran off with $800,000 worth of Nike shoes and clothing after ransacking 20 trailers, according to the Memphis Police Department (MPD). [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The break-in happened near Shelby Drive and Lamar Avenue just after midnight on Tuesday, September 6, according to a police report.

[/FONT]

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
oh and the homeless population has grown noticeably in downtown. You can't walk main st any longer without someone begging for money or screaming at the sky. It's ridiculous

The homeless situation has gotten out of control in even small cities/large towns. Colleague on the coast said the coast is bad because New Orleans buses homeless people over (I'm assuming that's private groups and not the actual city but no clue).

I don't know if it's drugs getting stronger or what but something is going to have to be figured out. If you want a tax base to help provide for the homeless, you have to protect your areas generating taxes. The 9th circuit pretty much can't as they ruled that you can't make it illegal to camp in public. Not sure if it would pass muster or not if they designated some places as ok for camping to keep some places orderly. There is at least one city getting sued under the ADA (I think properly) because they allow encampments on sidewalks, which means people reliant on wheel chairs can't navigate the city.

Feb 23, 2008
He'd be a million times better but he's making more money on Fox News and

does a really good job on there. Good level headed opinion on things. Plus he's smart enough to not want to touch this mess in Memphis.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
The homeless situation has gotten out of control in even small cities/large towns. Colleague on the coast said the coast is bad because New Orleans buses homeless people over (I'm assuming that's private groups and not the actual city but no clue).

I don't know if it's drugs getting stronger or what but something is going to have to be figured out. If you want a tax base to help provide for the homeless, you have to protect your areas generating taxes. The 9th circuit pretty much can't as they ruled that you can't make it illegal to camp in public. Not sure if it would pass muster or not if they designated some places as ok for camping to keep some places orderly. There is at least one city getting sued under the ADA (I think properly) because they allow encampments on sidewalks, which means people reliant on wheel chairs can't navigate the city.

We don't institutionalize the mentally ill anymore because we don't want to pay for it and because we've decided that the mentally ill have the right to be free and roam your city streets. It's an upside down world now - built by us.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Believe me when I say that any area that includes “and Lamar Avenue” is not anywhere you’d want to conduct business. Back when we lived in Olive Branch, my wife insisted on driving down Lamar to save a few minutes when going to midtown, and that’s gotta be one of the trashiest roads in the entire city

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
We don't institutionalize the mentally ill anymore because we don't want to pay for it and because we've decided that the mentally ill have the right to be free and roam your city streets. It's an upside down world now - built by us.
This at least 75% of the homeless problem.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

That happened more or less when Reagan was president. That doesn't explain the recent explosion.

Something else is going on now. It's possible that the only difference is that we used to push homeless people to areas away from business and tourism, so there hasn't been any growth in homelessness, just an increase in visibility. Or maybe now that encampments are allowed the homeless just appear more numerous, because instead of just a guy and a box or a shopping buggy, if he's lucky, they now have a tent, so the space they are taking up has doubled. But it's something because people I know with downtown businesses in different cities/towns used to think of homeless people sympathetically and want to help and didn't think of them primarily as a problem to other people. Now that has changed. They are angry that homeless people are harassing customers and sometimes refusing to leave business premises and also angry at city governments because it will take the police an hour or more to come address a homeless person that has completely shut down their business. They've invested in downtown areas and now customers are telling them it's not worth the hassle of dealing with aggressive panhandlers and/or crazy homeless people to come to their stores/restaurants.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
i love east Memphis but there comes a point and I’ve reached it so have other where it’s time to go.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Yeah that’s where the Nike warehouse is located. They get the containers of shoes and apparel from the Intermodal yard down the street and take them there. My uncle had a truck running that route moving the Nike trailers and His driver noticed a hole in the side of the truck on the sleeper. Found a 9mm bullet lodged in the bed mattress.

MS-halfstep

Jun 27, 2015
Back when I lived there, the upstanding mayor Willie Herenton would never tolerate any of this non-sense

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Pronounced "Luh-mar-uh".

Believe me when I say that any area that includes “and Lamar Avenue” is not anywhere you’d want to conduct business. Back when we lived in Olive Branch, my wife insisted on driving down Lamar to save a few minutes when going to midtown, and that’s gotta be one of the trashiest roads in the entire city

Yeah I definitely drive a little faster on the rare occasion I need to use it. Same for Airways.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login