Men's Basketball

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It may well be too late, but the State team that played Bama last night can win a bunch of the remaining games on the schedule.

It clearly showed that with just average shooting we can play with anybody, anywhere.

It has to start with a win over TCU Saturday. I can get back on board for awhile if they can gut that out and give themselves a chance to make a run vs teams they can beat.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It may well be too late, but the State team that played Bama last night can win a bunch of the remaining games on the schedule.

It clearly showed that with just average shooting we can play with anybody, anywhere.

It has to start with a win over TCU Saturday. I can get back on board for awhile if they can gut that out and give themselves a chance to make a run vs teams they can beat.
TCU just beat Kansas over the weekend.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
TCU just beat Kansas over the weekend.

More motivation. Gotta have some quality wins or there's no hope. They lost 3 of 4 before that game.

Pretty sure they also lost to Northwestern State and nearly lost to Pine Bluff early.

College teams have a real hard time with consistency.

We have to have it and they're not Bama, simple as that.

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
What's committed so far for next year's class doesn't really move the needle. Fort looks like a shooter, but hard to tell based on competition in his videos. I don't know if Jans is planning on relying on the portal, but he needs to bring in some pure shooters.

Who of the seniors is eligible to come back for another year and of those, who do we expect back?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
What's committed so far for next year's class doesn't really move the needle. Fort looks like a shooter, but hard to tell based on competition in his videos. I don't know if Jans is planning on relying on the portal, but he needs to bring in some pure shooters.

Who of the seniors is eligible to come back for another year and of those, who do we expect back?
Jans has already said he would rely on the portal every year. He has a long history with coaching in Juco basketball where you have alot of turnover which is pretty much what things will look like now with transfers a constant.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Kansas has lost 3 in a row. This is not a typical Kansas team.
I don't agree with that at all. They lost on the road to top 5ish K State and at top 15ish Baylor, sandwiched around the blowout home loss to top 10ish TCU. Granted, KU doesn't lose three in a row very often, but they are still an elite team who happens to play in the deepest conference in the country. They will almost certainly be a second weekend NCAA team and a threat to make it to Houston.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
I don't agree with that at all. They lost on the road to top 5ish K State and at top 15ish Baylor, sandwiched around the blowout home loss to top 10ish TCU. Granted, KU doesn't lose three in a row very often, but they are still an elite team who happens to play in the deepest conference in the country. They will almost certainly be a second weekend NCAA team and a threat to make it to Houston.
Yep. They are a very solid team and are coached by one of the best in the country.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

I agree with you, with average shooting we should win some games. I know I'm pissing in the wind, but in typical State 'what-if' fashion, it would have been very easy for Molinar to stay this season. He would've made this a dangerous tournament team. That really sucks.

Also, I know we have a lot of self-inflicted issues, and I know we were playing on the road in the SEC in Tuscaloosa, so we were never going to get the benefit of any calls. But I'd like it on the record that I believe the refs literally (yes literally) sucked balls last night. And Nate Oates is a *****. That is all.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I have no idea what to make of this team. We go on the road against one the top teams in the country and nearly knock them off, yet I know good and well that we could easily play Vandy or USCe tomorrow and lose by ten. My gut tells me that this roster is in need of a massive overhaul prior to next season, but dammit... then they go and nearly beat the #2 team on the road

Guess all I can do is be patient with Jans and whatever plan he has in store for us

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
We played very well last night on both ends of the court.
Bama is just good and that run they went on late in the game was just enough for them to squeak by.
If we play like that the rest of the way we’ll be ok.
Still may not make the Trny tho. ??

Dawgbyte75

May 1, 2021
So I have a question about recruiting.

Jans seems to be a great floor coach, and players seems to play hard for him.

In recruiting though, it seems like he doesn’t have that rep of being a great recruiter.

Does he lack the salesmanship skills to close the deal on big time players? Does he lack the ability to relate to boosters, thus not getting the same level of $$$ support? All of the above?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Never thought I'd see the day where KY, KS & Louisville (leaving anybody out?) would all struggle this bad in the same year. Was proud of our effort last night; not trying to sound like a fat little girlfriend but it is what it is I reckon.

Reactions: 60sdog

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
So I have a question about recruiting.

Jans seems to be a great floor coach, and players seems to play hard for him.

In recruiting though, it seems like he doesn’t have that rep of being a great recruiter.

Does he lack the salesmanship skills to close the deal on big time players? Does he lack the ability to relate to boosters, thus not getting the same level of $$$ support? All of the above?
For starters our NIL situation was a joke when he was hired and had no support there. If you compare the 2023 NIL and 2022 it will be night and day so you have to think that will help us get a key transfer or two

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
For starters our NIL situation was a joke when he was hired and had no support there. If you compare the 2023 NIL and 2022 it will be night and day so you have to think that will help us get a key transfer or two
Who was the "shooter" that was in the portal that we almost had but got a better NIL deal somewhere else? How is he doing this year? Wonder if the new AD and the progress of the Collective will help in situations like that going forward.

bsquared24

Jul 11, 2009
And IMO NIL is more crucial in basketball than the other sports because it allows you to retain players who we have seen go pro in Europe/Israel/etc if we can match that 60k salary or whatever it is. FB and baseball don’t have the go play overseas alternatives

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Last night, Matthews was fouled and injured. He had to leave the game, giving the Bama bench to right to choose the State player shooting his free throws. They picked Tulu, who made both of them. Tell ‘em Tulu, “Buck you, Fama.”

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We played very well last night on both ends of the court.
Bama is just good and that run they went on late in the game was just enough for them to squeak by.
If we play like that the rest of the way we’ll be ok.
Still may not make the Trny tho. ??
Jans has already said he would rely on the portal every year. He has a long history with coaching in Juco basketball where you have alot of turnover which is pretty much what things will look like now with transfers a constant.
Bama showed why they are getting 1st place votes and we showed we aren't a complete team. There was definitely some home cooking calls (like some of those laughable charging calls), but they showed great athleticism and shooting down the stretch. We played fantastic defense and made some great moves to the basket we just don't have that "go to" player. You gotta have at least one., and hopefully two or three.

One of the things that made us pick Jans is his experience with the portal and his coaching. He is showing coaching by our improvement in play so I'm, sure he will find the guys he needs.

One point I want toi make is that T. Smith is supposed to be our scorer and as of last count lasf night has missed 64 free throws. I'm glad he made both shots when Bama forced him to go in the line but he still has missed 64 free throws. What would our record be if he had just made half of those shots?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login