Mershon- twitter

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Not looking good for his return reading the tea leafs on his latest twitter post.

assuming he’s been contacted about the draft…. Or our nil is worse than I thought

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

patdog

May 28, 2007
I was told back or the draft. Not portal…

i expected Mershon back because I thought he would do better draft wise with another season.. and from what I was hearing we were prepared to pay a good bit on the nil to keep him… so I guess he’s getting drafted higher than expected
He's 21 and draft eligible. You almost have to go pro if you want any chance of making the big leagues. I don't know anything, but I just assumed he'd be gone but hoped he'd be back.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He's 21 and draft eligible. You almost have to go pro if you want any chance of making the big leagues. I don't know anything, but I just assumed he'd be gone but hoped he'd be back.
Nah a lot of those older guys are staying and skipping a few levels now… but him being more of a fringe type you may be right. If he a top 10 guy, you’ve gotta go now, I didn’t think he’d be a top 10 guy, but maybe he is.

I was told he was going to get that type nil money to hang around… so unless the nil number changed it only really makes sense if leaves if he’s top 10

Reactions: ZombieKissinger

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Dude....no they're not.
Again you are totally clueless. Don’t try to talk sports with anyone on the board. Go back to making your posts how your on the ledge

Draft eligible sophs that aren’t high picks do stick around. honeycutt from North Carolina stayed in college and it will be paid off with 1st or 2nd round money… again your an idiot

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Again you are totally clueless. Don’t try to talk sports with anyone on the board. Go back to making your posts how your on the ledge

honeycutt from North Carolina stayed a year and it will be paid off with 1st or 2nd round money… again your an idiot
Was he eligible for the draft last year? He's just now 21 and a true junior.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Was he eligible for the draft last year? He's just now 21 and a true junior.
No his was high school. Point was trying to be made is that kids with upside do stick around for better money

you won’t see guys drafted and unsigned often anymore because the draft is shortened and picks are usually negotiated prior too…

top rounds you gotta go. Late rounds those draft eligibile but 2 year college eligible guys stay a lot to improve their status

patdog

May 28, 2007
No his was high school. Point was trying to be made is that kids with upside do stick around for better money

you won’t see guys drafted and unsigned often anymore because the draft is shortened and picks are usually negotiated prior too…

top rounds you gotta go. Late rounds those draft eligibile but 2 year college eligible guys stay a lot to improve their status
It's a lot different for an 18-year old HS kid to go to college than for a 21-year old JR to wait another year. The clock is ticking and you've probably already developed about as much as you're going to at the college level. It's time to make baseball your full-time job if you're serious about making the majors.

Reactions: Bulldog45

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
It's a lot different for an 18-year old HS kid to go to college than for a 21-year old JR to wait another year. The clock is ticking and you've probably already developed about as much as you're going to at the college level. It's time to make baseball your full-time job if you're serious about making the majors.
21 college junior yes. 21 year old draft eligible sophomore.. can wait.. and can benefit to waiting. The sec is as good as A ball or even AA.

again that top of the top… need to go., Dakota Jordan wasting his time to play another season…. I’m referring to fringe type guys here. If Mershon is a top 10 pick, he for sure needs to leave…. If he’s round 20, he could have probably benefitted from another season in college and still have so called leverage

patdog

May 28, 2007
The sec is as good as A ball or even AA.
No. It's not. If it were, you'd see almost every SEC starter in the pros and you wouldn't see SEC players taking time to adjust to the minors like Tanner Allen. And half your games in college are against teams from worse conferences than the SEC. There are some A/AA caliber players in the SEC, but not many who are at that level while still in college.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
No. It's not. If it were, you'd see almost every SEC starter in the pros and you wouldn't see SEC players taking time to adjust to the minors like Tanner Allen. And half your games in college are against teams from worse conferences than the SEC. There are some A/AA caliber players in the SEC, but not many who are at that level while still in college.
Disagree. I’ve been to quite a few low level minor league games and division 1 games…

the real prospects will be drafted and pushed to high A and AA very quickly.

Reactions: leeinator

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Shall remember thee each time we hear this walk up song, now he is walking out to it, peace out Mershy, best of luck, rip it and flip it

patdog

May 28, 2007
Disagree. I’ve been to quite a few low level minor league games and division 1 games…

the real prospects will be drafted and pushed to high A and AA very quickly.
I don't say this often, but you're just wrong on this one. There are a lot of A/AA quality players in the SEC (or at least will develop into that quality), but there's a lot that are starting in the SEC who will never sniff minor league ball at any level. EVERY player in even Class A ball is at least equal to an average SEC starter.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I don't say this often, but you're just wrong on this one. There are a lot of A/AA quality players in the SEC (or at least will develop into that quality), but there's a lot that are starting in the SEC who will never sniff minor league ball at any level. EVERY player in even Class A ball is at least equal to an average SEC starter.
Again totally disagree. class A ball is littered with 18-19 year old kids that have skills but aren’t good players yet. There are plenty of A ball players that couldn’t sniff the sec

• Haha
Reactions: Anon1697564126

MSBamaWard

Feb 3, 2023
Not looking good for his return reading the tea leafs on his latest twitter post.

assuming he’s been contacted about the draft…. Or our nil is worse than I thought
We will be thankful for the 10 run rule next season… SMH

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
losing our top 3 batters, time for player s to step up, such is life

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

Great, so now we only have 7 position players to replace. Losing players but can't run our coach off with a mop and a bucket of ****.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Again totally disagree. class A ball is littered with 18-19 year old kids that have skills but aren’t good players yet. There are plenty of A ball players that couldn’t sniff the sec
SEC has a lot of 18-19 year old kids who don't have the skills AND aren't good players yet. I'm sure there are some Class A players who maybe couldn't play for a Tennessee. But could definitely play for a Mississippi State, Auburn, Mississippi or Missouri.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
SEC has a lot of 18-19 year old kids who don't have the skills AND aren't good players yet. I'm sure there are some Class A players who maybe couldn't play for a Tennessee. But could definitely play for a Mississippi State, Auburn, Mississippi or Missouri.
And there are more than a handful of kids starting that are ready for AA or even the big leagues if money wasn’t an issue. Class A ball doesn’t have any of those floating around… you won’t see cags or skenes or condon or beam or those guys floating around class A… and there lies the big difference

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
And there are more than a handful of kids starting that are ready for AA or even the big leagues if money wasn’t an issue. Class A ball doesn’t have any of those floating around… you won’t see cags or skenes or condon or beam or those guys floating around class A… and there lies the big difference
Those are VERY few SEC players in any given year. But yes, there are absolutely players in the SEC who are at least AA level in the SEC. No doubt about it. But they’re the exception. Even a player like Tanner Allen took 2 full years to get promoted to AA, and is still there another year later. And he was an elite SEC player.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Those are VERY few SEC players in any given year. But yes, there are absolutely players in the SEC who are at least AA level in the SEC. No doubt about it. But they’re the exception. Even a player like Tanner Allen took 2 full years to get promoted to AA, and is still there another year later. And he was an elite SEC player.
Feel free to use tanner allen as a guide if you want.. Allen was put in high A ball after playing 60 minors league games. He struggled, had he been successful he would have been immediately been promoted to AA… but Allen has shown to be nothing but a bust, he’s a terrible example to use. His beer drinkjng and hunting couldnt be done as often when you have to play every day.. and it showed

I don’t know what your definition of a few are… you could take the best 50 players in the sec if not more.. and they’d fit right into upper A or AA ball… a guy like Cortez isn’t going to be seen in low A ball

patdog

May 28, 2007
Feel free to use tanner allen as a guide if you want.. Allen was put in high A ball after playing 60 minors league games. He struggled, had he been successful he would have been immediately been promoted to AA.

I don’t know what your definition of a few are… you could take the best 50 players in the sec if not more.. and they’d fit right into upper A or AA ball… a guy like Cortez isn’t going to be seen in low A ball
Best 50 SEC players you maybe could. Where is last years all-SEC team playing this year & how are they doing? But top 50 SEC players is still only the top 20% of SEC players who actually get significant playing time. Most are not that good. I bring up T Allen because in his interview during the Gov Cup game, he made it clear low A-AA ball is a big step up from the SEC. Said you saw players that good in SEC, but most weren’t.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Best 50 SEC players you maybe could. Where is last years all-SEC team playing this year & how are they doing? But top 50 SEC players is still only the top 20% of SEC players who actually get significant playing time. Most are not that good. I bring up T Allen because in his interview during the Gov Cup game, he made it clear low A-AA ball is a big step up from the SEC. Said you saw players that good in SEC, but most weren’t.
Thought it was something more along the lines of the mental side of the game. The sec was a fastball heavy league and he wasn’t getting the fastballs he usually did.

But again Allen is a complete bust and for someone that didn’t hit over 200 half his first 4 stops in the minors… not sure he’s a great example to use… obviously a little more to his struggles than just the skill of the game

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Best 50 SEC players you maybe could. Where is last years all-SEC team playing this year & how are they doing?

^ 1 is in the big leagues with another tracking that direction quickly. Feel free to look it up though.

but we can disagree.. I’ve been to more than a handful of low minor league games. The sec is better than more of those levels than you think

patdog

May 28, 2007
Best 50 SEC players you maybe could. Where is last years all-SEC team playing this year & how are they doing?

^ 1 is in the big leagues with another tracking that direction quickly. Feel free to look it up though.

but we can disagree.. I’ve been to more than a handful of low minor league games. The sec is better than more of those levels than you think
We’re not arguing about the best SEC players. We agree there. We’re arguing about the bottom 50% who are not Class A caliber. Not to mention the half of your schedule you play against teams from much weaker leagues. Also, huge difference in being a full-time baseball player vs a 20-hour per week player.

maybe the simplest way for me to put it is, why don’t most of our players get drafted? If SEC is A-AA level ball, you’d think most of our players would get drafted.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login