Michigan sign stealing...this could get fun to watch

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009

The NCAA is expected to receive video evidence this week of illegal technology used in scouting tied to tickets purchased by Stalions, according to sources. An opposing Big Ten school looked up in-stadium surveillance video from a game earlier this year, and sources said the person in the seat of the ticket purchased by Stalions held his smart phone up and appeared to film the home team's sideline the entire game.

Reactions: dorndawg

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Am I the only one who doesn't really have an issue with sign-stealing? Even when it's done via electronic means, I have a hard time caring very much. Hide your signs better, I dunno.
You have to draw a boundary. If not, teams like Michigan and the Patriots will be flying satellites videoing your practice and wiretapping your offices.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Didn't University of Michigan coach just get a show cause? Be really funny they make the play off, and he is suspended.

Reactions: Dawgg

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
There’s always been sign stealing in games (or trying to) and even spying on (or trying to) practices of upcoming opponent to try and get a slight advantage.
Have no problem with that.
Electronic sign stealing or videoing sideline activity for nefarious purposes I don’t agree with and should be banned/fined/suspended/something if team personnel is caught doing such.

Sep 29, 2022
Am I the only one who doesn't really have an issue with sign-stealing? Even when it's done via electronic means, I have a hard time caring very much. Hide your signs better, I dunno.
Yes, I think you're the only one. If someone's good enough to figure out the signals during the game in real time, fine. But it's a different matter if they're videoing it and then can go back and watch it over & over and break down the signals based on what plays are being run. That's BS.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Could you record a team's sideline for a couple of games and teach A.I. to decode their signals and substitution patterns? Because if a nerd coach can do that, I could see it being a huge advantage.

Sep 29, 2022
I heard this weekend that the NCAA prohibits in-person scouting. If so, this could be really bad for Michigan.
Yes, there's one rule that's been in place for 30 years that prohibits scouting future opponents' games and another NCAA rule prohibits the use of recording devices.

99jc

Jul 31, 2008
years ago ole miss was caught hiding in the bushes at our practice field. they got caught and ran for their lives. at least that's the way i remember it. does anyone else remember the incident?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
years ago ole miss was caught hiding in the bushes at our practice field. they got caught and ran for their lives. at least that's the way i remember it. does anyone else remember the incident?
1698101915708.gif
I member

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Harbaugh has been obsessed with Bama and LSU saying he couldn't pay players like these other SEC schools could. Now he can and he stilll complains it's not an even playing field never once considering the fact that he was such an ******* who it turns out is cheating. I can't believe he has as much trouble as he lets on either.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
This would explain a lot about how Michigan has been so dominant in the regular season for the past couple years, but absolutely atrocious in the CFP.

Reactions: patdog

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
One interesting perspective I heard is that some P5 and all G5 teams don't the revenue to afford the extra coaching staff to scout like this. It creates a competitive advantage for larger school. Therefore scouting isn't allowed.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
As a reminder, Florida sent a staffer to spy on our practices in 1980, then beat us.
Later, when coming clean, Florida offered to forfeit the game, which would’ve made us 1980 SEC Champions along with UGA.

We said no thanks.

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004

The NCAA is expected to receive video evidence this week of illegal technology used in scouting tied to tickets purchased by Stalions, according to sources. An opposing Big Ten school looked up in-stadium surveillance video from a game earlier this year, and sources said the person in the seat of the ticket purchased by Stalions held his smart phone up and appeared to film the home team's sideline the entire game.
This scandal seems more SEC-like than what you expect from the Big 10.

Reactions: aTotal360

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
As a reminder, Florida sent a staffer to spy on our practices in 1980, then beat us.
Later, when coming clean, Florida offered to forfeit the game, which would’ve made us 1980 SEC Champions along with UGA.

We said no thanks.
This seems a little farfetched. Why would they need our permission to forfeit a game?

patdog

May 28, 2007
This seems a little farfetched. Why would they need our permission to forfeit a game?
I think the real story was we called the SEC asking about a forfeit and were told it’s not being considered. The spying event did happen though.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
I think the real story was we called the SEC asking about a forfeit and were told it’s not being considered. The spying event did happen though.
Negative, Ghostrider.
https://www.nytimes.com/1984/09/12/sports/florida-cited-in-107-violations.html

Now I gotta dig up the old article where Bellard told Maddox not to accept the forfeit because he was certain we were going to win the SEC in 1984.
I think I posted this before, but if I was AD, my first act would be to retroactively accept the forfeit.

For posterity from the article:
"Criser said the letters of apology were sent to the University of California at Berkeley, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Louisville, Florida State, Georgia and Auburn.
He said he offered to forfeit 1980 victories over California, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Louisville and Auburn, as well as a 1981 triumph over Florida State.
''Obviously this is a regrettable step, but I am convinced it is the only one permitted by the standards of fair play,'' Criser said.
''It is small consolation for our sister universities, but an honorable institution could do no less.'' he added."

Reactions: patdog

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Haven't found the old article with our response, but here's another one from that time:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...olleges/36087932-ca14-45ed-8366-a37af5990e97/

Of interest from that one:
"Florida President Marshall M. Criser announced that he had directed letters of apology to seven schools, including four members of the SEC, and had offered to forfeit triumphs over six of them.

Steve Townsend, the SEC's director of public relations, said there was no known precedent for volunteering forfeits, but confirmed that if Mississippi State accepts Criser's offer the Bulldogs could claim a share of the 1980 conference title with Georgia."

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
There’s always been sign stealing in games (or trying to) and even spying on (or trying to) practices of upcoming opponent to try and get a slight advantage.
Have no problem with that.
Electronic sign stealing or videoing sideline activity for nefarious purposes I don’t agree with and should be banned/fined/suspended/something if team personnel is caught doing such.
How do you feel about using calculators for math?***

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I thought that was Polk?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think I posted this before, but if I was AD, my first act would be to retroactively accept the forfeit.
I agree and in fact, I feel like there's still time. Selmon could come out tomorrow and say "with all the recent news about spying and scouting sidelines, we've decided this was the right time to right a wrong that occurred over 40 years ago. We have decided to accept the University of Florida's offer to forfeit their 1980 game against us, which will effectively make us 1980 SEC co-champions with the University of Georgia. We feel like this was the decision that should have been made at the time, but for whatever reason was not. Today, we set things right for the members of the 1980 Mississippi State football team and their families. We're also going to honor them at halftime of next year's first game with a special ring ceremony."

Sure, you may get some snickers and jeers at the beginning, but in a few years, nobody will remember or care "why?" They'll just see a 1980 SEC Champions banner... and no, it's not like Ole Miss's SEC West banner because Georgia never beat us on the field.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
I agree and in fact, I feel like there's still time. Selmon could come out tomorrow and say "with all the recent news about spying and scouting sidelines, we've decided this was the right time to right a wrong that occurred over 40 years ago. We have decided to accept the University of Florida's offer to forfeit their 1980 game against us, which will effectively make us 1980 SEC co-champions with the University of Georgia. We feel like this was the decision that should have been made at the time, but for whatever reason was not. Today, we set things right for the members of the 1980 Mississippi State football team and their families. We're also going to honor them at halftime of next year's first game with a special ring ceremony."

Sure, you may get some snickers and jeers at the beginning, but in a few years, nobody will remember or care "why?" They'll just see a 1980 SEC Champions banner... and no, it's not like Ole Miss's SEC West banner because Georgia never beat us on the field.
That's not a bad idea. I emailed him.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login