Mike Gundy’s brother resigns from OU - bizarre story

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Judging by former players like Joe Mixon coming to his defense it looks like a big overeaction.

msu86

Sep 17, 2015
If him reading the N word(I only assume here bc I can’t fathom anything else getting this reaction) from a players iPad screen got him fired it should get the player kicked out of school. No double standard. If it’s wrong it’s wrong.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
The article makes it sound like he personally decided it was so egregious that he resigned.

Again odd since college football isn’t generally know for its high moral standing in a lot of areas.

If it turns out that Venebles or the school fired him then that is a whole different discussion.

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009
after Leach catching hell over the noose joke I don't put much stock into things like this

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
This feels like a genius move by Gundy. 100% accident of course and should be no big deal, but that ain't the world we live in.

He took responsibility for something that should be mundane given the context, resigned, and got his narrative (aka the truth) out before some player with a vendetta for getting coached to hard made a bunch of **** up. If a pissed off player and reporter got together before Gundy addressed it, they would have torpedoed the guys whole career. This feels like something he can absolutely recover from. If it had gone the other way I described, poor guy would have been blackballed forever.

All that said, what a 17ing joke. I wish the school would expell the player for writing the offensive word in the first place.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
My suspicion is that Gundy got a very nice “walk away” severance package that will hold him nicely until he finds his way to Saban’s rehab.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
1- when correcting behavior, dont read things aloud. it only embarrasses, as that is clearly the point, and that does not gain buy in or trust.
2- reading a word on a tablet that was written by someone else should not lead to resignation. Self report and do some sensitivity and management training, which will help eliminate the desire to read private things aloud, and come back to the team.
3- I really hope that word is not acceptable in the locker room.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I bet PR folks are applauding how Gundy handled this resignation with his statement.

He'll get the regular season off and then go to another university.

I also would not be surprised if OU Athletics finds a way to keep him in some capacity.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Wouldn't it be refreshing if the players had enough character to stand up for their coach who apparently just made a mistake,

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
3) We don't know what the word is. However, regardless of what it is, you've got to be kidding, right?

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
Gundy was obviously ready to move on and used this as a jumping off point. And is getting paid to pretend falling on sword.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Wow what a powerful letter....

Miketice

Sep 2, 2013
1- when correcting behavior, dont read things aloud. it only embarrasses, as that is clearly the point, and that does not gain buy in or trust.
2- reading a word on a tablet that was written by someone else should not lead to resignation. Self report and do some sensitivity and management training, which will help eliminate the desire to read private things aloud, and come back to the team.
3- I really hope that word is not acceptable in the locker room.

As for number three google D Sanders post game song. My N.... should clear that up for ya

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
The Hypocrisy in today’s US is just plain stupid. I watched Dave Chappelle last night. He’s made himself rich saying that word. But he’s also said words that are considered hateful/derogatory to other races as well. I went to public schools in Tallahatchie County. Growing up, I heard the term “Honky” used as much or more than I ever heard the N word.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
The Hypocrisy in today’s US is just plain stupid. I watched Dave Chappelle last night. He’s made himself rich saying that word. But he’s also said words that are considered hateful/derogatory to other races as well. I went to public schools in Tallahatchie County. Growing up, I heard the term “Honky” used as much or more than I ever heard the N word.

Go ahead and say it if you want.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

You know you’re allowed to say anything you want. It’s just saying the word may have a different outcome for you vs Dave Chappelle.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

Couple of things here:
1. If Dave Chappelle had said the things he said in his show and stand up sets and was a high profile employee at a public university, the likelihood of him keeping that job is very low.

2. I grew up in Alcorn County. I’m not sure what was happening in NW Mississippi, but in NE Mississippi, I heard the N word thrown around casually (by black and white alike) maybe 100:1 over any sort of derogatory term for white person.

3. Does “honky” really offend you? That’s an earnest question. I suppose it does some people, but I think some people just think they’re supposed to be offended by it. I dunno. It doesn’t bother me. I certainly don’t think it rises to N word level.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
What exactly does "N word level" mean ? It's still just a word.
Many, if not most, reasonable black Americans are truly offended by a non-black person saying the n-word.

That is very obviously not true of white people and "honky."

Of course, you already knew this and are just pretending not to

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
So what you’re telling me is that you’ve never been in a football locker room.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
3) We don't know what the word is. However, regardless of what it is, you've got to be kidding, right?

I fully expect it is in the locker room. I just hope it wouldnt be. Not sure why thats funny- I definitely dont hope the opposite, which would mean I hope its all over the locker room. So yeah, I hope it wouldnt be.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I bet PR folks are applauding how Gundy handled this resignation with his statement.

He'll get the regular season off and then go to another university.

I also would not be surprised if OU Athletics finds a way to keep him in some capacity.

Well, handling it when you are fine walking away from your current job is not the situation most people have to deal with if there is some sort of controversy regarding them. The point for most people is to keep their current income. Cale Gundy has apparently been making enough (currently ~$610k) for long enough that he either didn't want to put up with the ******** at all or thought a little sabbatical to avoid some ******** before reentering coaching was the right call. Be interesting to see what happens. Typically, the one thing you cannot do is apologize for a non-offense. That just puts blood in the water. But with him stepping away, it sort of neuters the woke idiots that want to make this a big news story for the next 48 hours. If he comes back next year, there will have been 300 and some odd overblown controversies since then, and I'm not sure anybody will care about a non-controversy from all the way back in August of 2022.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Sensitivity and management training...
You serious, Clark?

Yeah. If the choice is accept someone's resignation or have them take some classes, and its an employee who has been in the program for 2 decades, in this instance I would hope he could take the classes and call it good. Maybe in that class he would learn that public embarrassment often doesnt work long term.

I know, its crazy talk from me.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Nope. I have never understood the whole n-word phenomena. If you can, good for you but when a white person can actually lose their job for saying a damn word because blacks claim it is so offensive that it will somehow ruin their lives but a black man can say it and it's OK with them..... I'm calling it ********.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login