Mike Gundy to Starkville

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'm just saying there's no world where that level of success against Ole Miss would keep one employed for nearly two decades at Mississippi State.
Totally different rivalries. State has a better record against Ole Miss in the modern era. At worst close to even. Oklahoma has been better than OSU and most of the rest of the Big12 forever. State vs Alabama or LSU or Georgia would be more comparable in conference comparisons.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Except that the only reason why OSU has been at that level is largely because of Gundy.

Over the Gundy era, OU has had almost TRIPLE the number of NFL draft picks of OSU. Let that sink in. And its an even bigger gap when looking at the top end NFL talent (Top 3-4 round picks).

1st Rounders:
OU - 13
OSU - 6

1st / 2nd Round:
OU - 26
OSU - 9

Top 3 Rounds:
OU - 42
OSU - 10

Top 4 Rounds:
OU - 58
OSU - 16

All picks:
OU - 92
OSU - 33

They’re at an absolutely massive talent disadvantage. By comparison, MSU has had 44 NFL picks over the same period. Alabama has had 130. So its literally a similar gap to MSU vs. Alabama where they have also had almost triple the number of picks. Would you feel like we were underperforming if we had 3 more wins over Alabama over the past 17 years than we actually do?
the goalposts have gotten moved and the original point has been muddied. This happens when goat jumps in the fray and messes threads up.

The original point here is that Gundy doesn't win rivalry games and that wouldn't fly here. In the mass overreaction to that comment and rushed defense of gundy, an argument was made that the OU/OSU rivalry was like GA/GA Tech. So my posts aren't trying to point out that OSU has comparable talent to OU. My posts are trying to point out that the gap between those schools isn't as large as the one between Ga/Ga Tech and if you replaced OK/OK St with OM/MSU, such a bad head to head record wouldn't fly here. This is not and should not be a controversial take.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
the goalposts have gotten moved and the original point has been muddied. This happens when goat jumps in the fray and messes threads up.

The original point here is that Gundy doesn't win rivalry games and that wouldn't fly here. In the mass overreaction to that comment and rushed defense of gundy, an argument was made that the OU/OSU rivalry was like GA/GA Tech. So my posts aren't trying to point out that OSU has comparable talent to OU. My posts are trying to point out that the gap between those schools isn't as large as the one between Ga/Ga Tech and if you replaced OK/OK St with OM/MSU, such a bad head to head record wouldn't fly here. This is not and should not be a controversial take.
I was responding to your own words, which were “Let’s stop pretending there’s some huge gap between OU / OSU over that time (Gundy’s tenure)”.

That’s just a categorically false statement. There is a huge gap where it absolutely matters most - the talent on the field.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I was responding to your own words, which were “Let’s stop pretending there’s some huge gap between OU / OSU over that time (Gundy’s tenure)”.

That’s just a categorically false statement. There is a huge gap where it absolutely matters most - the talent on the field.
Comparatively speaking, there is NOT some huge gap between the two. I didn't say OU doesn't have more talent. Sure, there is a gap. But they're both top 25 programs. They've both ended the year ranked in postseason rankings about the same number of times during Gundy's 17 or 18 years. There's a gap. There's not a HUGE gap. There's not a Georgia-Georgia Tech gap. It's stupid to suggest that.

And if both Ole Miss and we were annual top 25 programs, we wouldn't tolerate our head coach winning four times in 18 tries. That was the original point, and it's not even a controversial one.

• Sad
Reactions: Anon1697564126

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Comparatively speaking, there is NOT some huge gap between the two. I didn't say OU doesn't have more talent. Sure, there is a gap. But they're both top 25 programs. They've both ended the year ranked in postseason rankings about the same number of times during Gundy's 17 or 18 years. There's a gap. There's not a HUGE gap. There's not a Georgia-Georgia Tech gap. It's stupid to suggest that.

And if both Ole Miss and we were annual top 25 programs, we wouldn't tolerate our head coach winning four times in 18 tries. That was the original point, and it's not even a controversial one.
Because I deal in facts, I looked up your claims, and in Gundy’s 18 years at Oklahoma State, only nine times have both teams finished the season ranked in the AP top 25. Three times neither team finished ranked and six times Oklahoma was ranked while OK State wasn’t. Also, OK State has finished in the final top 10 twice in Gundy’s tenure, while Oklahoma has finished in the top 10 eleven times in that span. So no, the two programs aren’t relatively even. Gundy has closed the gap, but there is still a wide gulf between the two programs when it comes to talent and results.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Because I deal in facts, I looked up your claims, and in Gundy’s 18 years at Oklahoma State, only nine times have both teams finished the season ranked in the AP top 25. Three times neither team finished ranked and six times Oklahoma was ranked while OK State wasn’t. Also, OK State has finished in the final top 10 twice in Gundy’s tenure, while Oklahoma has finished in the top 10 eleven times in that span. So no, the two programs aren’t relatively even. Gundy has closed the gap, but there is still a wide gulf between the two programs when it comes to talent and results.
aGAIN, nowhere did I say they were even. I acknowledge a gap. Replace Oklahoma with Ole Miss and Oklahoma with Mississippi State. As a State fan, wouldn't you expect to win more than four egg bowls over that time? Just because Oklahoma is more talented generally speaking doesn't mean Oklahoma State shouldn't be competitive in the series.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
There is a gap in talent that is the same in magnitude as the talent gap between MSU and Alabama…..which is an absurdly large talent gap.

They are both Top 25 programs, but that’s all OSU is. OU is a Top 7-8 program. And the gap from #7-8 to #25 is huge. You’re talking 10-11 win average vs 8 win average. But ultimately that doesn’t matter. OSU talent-wise isn’t even a Top 25 program. Their sum has been greater than the parts because they have a great coach.

That’s not controversial, but its also not relevant. You’ll never have a series be that lopsided over that length of time without a massive talent gap in place. And if we ever struggled that badly against OM over 15+ years, that would be the underlying reason and the problem that would have to be fixed. It would be way beyond a problem with a coach just “not getting his team up for rivalry games”. That’s not even a thing. It was a myth with Leach at Wazzu, and its a myth with Gundy as well.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Implicit to that argument is that there is something magical to the term "rivalry game". There is not. Gundy got stuck with the best team in the conference as his rival at OSU. MSU does not have the best team in the conference as their rival. Not even close. Actually polar opposite most years. That being said. I don't really want Gundy anyway.

ETA: You are correct that a record like that against Ole Miss would not be tolerated.

Last edited:
Reactions: mstateglfr

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
You guys....17. The only thing I will add is thank goodness we don't have Gundy. I would hate to be ranked 15 right now. He would be light years better than what we have. He would win here too

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
This is my entire point.
You and drebin are correct, that rivalry record would not fly at MSU.
But since there is 0 reason to think the record would happen once you consider factors that exist in reality, there isn't much reason to even voice your point.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login