Mike Leach Memorial

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I think we should open some type of Mike Leach/Air Raid Museum in the Junction. Mike was likely the most beloved college football coach of all time and a true genius. The changed the game, but was also interesting outside of football. It would fit in well in that creepy clock museum (which I admittedly have never been to) or maybe redo the Hunter Hartley Center (or whatever that spaceship looking abomination is between campus and the District).

Folks in the AD, please read this and let's make it happen.

Moondawgg

Sep 30, 2022
Im Not No Way GIF

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I honestly don’t think he was here long enough nor accomplished enough here for a big memorial. When someone says “ Mike Leach” the first thought that comes to my mind is Texas Tech not Mississippi State. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the guy. I had the opportunity to spend about 45 minutes with him one on one and I’ll forever remember that but he just didn’t have the time to put his stamp on Mississippi State like he could have.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I honestly don’t think he was here long enough nor accomplished enough here for a big memorial. When someone says “ Mike Leach” the first thought that comes to my mind is Texas Tech not Mississippi State. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the guy. I had the opportunity to spend about 45 minutes with him one on one and I’ll forever remember that but he just didn’t have the time to put his stamp on Mississippi State like he could have.
I mean we host the President Grant library, so i think we have enough connection to Mike to claim him.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think we should open some type of Mike Leach/Air Raid Museum in the Junction. Mike was likely the most beloved college football coach of all time and a true genius. The changed the game, but was also interesting outside of football. It would fit in well in that creepy clock museum (which I admittedly have never been to) or maybe redo the Hunter Hartley Center (or whatever that spaceship looking abomination is between campus and the District).

Would not fit at all. He only spent 3 years of his career here and our fans never truly appreciated him.

If this were ever built, it'd be in Key West or in Cody where he's from. Or maybe the college football hall of fame.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Would not fit at all. He only spent 3 years of his career here and our fans never truly appreciated him.

If this were ever built, it'd be in Key West or in Cody where he's from. Or maybe the college football hall of fame.
I think he's much more beloved by MSU fans than you realize.

You're probably soured by our fans active on MBs and Social Media, who are the worst.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
He wasn't here long enough, nor did he accomplish enough here for something like that. Most of his accomplishments and accolades were at Tech and Wazzou. Maybe a room in the football complex can be named after him.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
He wasn't here long enough, nor did he accomplish enough here for something like that. Most of his accomplishments and accolades were at Tech and Wazzou. Maybe a room in the football complex can be named after him.
No one would see that. We need to honor the man and all his accomplishments, not just his time at MSU. In all place everyone could and would experience it.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Absolutely we should do this. They can do another one at Texas Tech or Washington State or Key West if they want to, but we should have some sort of memorial to him.

My suggestion would be to permanently fly a pirate flag on the pole beneath the US and Mississippi flags.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Leach was 2 games over .500 in 3 years. He didn't do anything special here but he was a cool guy. Name a team meeting room or practice field or something after him.
I don't agree with this. Why can't we love him as much as all others across the country? Our recent / modern history doesn't have too many back to back .500 + seasons BTW but that would NOT be the reason to erect something real nice in his honor. To not do so would be so MSU and reminds me of not letting Grisham's kid walk on.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Guys this is about celebrating his life, his entire body of work, not just his time in Starkvegas. Plus we need more neat things/attractions on campus, we are already considered the worst college town in the SEC by many, which stings as many consider Oxford as a great college town (both these are more percecption than reality).

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
We aren’t the shining example of Mike Leach and the air raid. We are just the last small bullet point on his resume. Texas Tech absolutely should build the memorial.

Reactions: Maroon13

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Those opposed are either forgetting his life or just pissed off he took a call on the practice field from his friend Trump. I envision a monument with him at a podium with an inscription that reads "Mike Leach: Football Coach-Professor and Author of "Insurgent Warfare & Football Strategy". The guy's just a flat out legend. Case Closed.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Those opposed are either forgetting his life or just pissed off he took a call on the practice field from his friend Trump. I envision a monument with him at a podium with an inscription that reads "Mike Leach: Football Coach-Professor and Author of "Insurgent Warfare & Football Strategy". The guy's just a flat out legend. Case Closed.

He isn't a legend for what he did at MSU. Far from it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We've got to do something to memorialize him. He is and will always be a lot more associated with Mississippi State than many in this thread claim. He represented our school well and he did have success here, more overall than he did at Washington St. and in a much tougher conference than he did at Texas Tech. I'm not saying we need to build a statue at the south end of Davis-Wade stadium, but we've got to do something.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Mike Leach was only here for three years but I really think he had us on the verge of some great things. He had finally slayed the Ole Miss dragon (on the road in the rain no less) and won nine games his third season (yes, I’m giving him the bowl game victory). More than that, he meant so much to college football. Not even Nick Saban would get the outpouring of love and support Leach did after his death. I’m not saying we should build a statue, but we should definitely do something. Name something fairly prominent after him or put a small memorial in Davis Wade or something like that.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
We already have a Leach Memorial on campus, a legacy to continue eternally, of his own making even.

I submit the Leach Beach as THE memorial. It is already built and maintenance is low (since we are all cheapskates), and its a tribute to his love of the tropics. We could add a palm tree or two on each end and a Tiki hut w/ some barstools for spectators to observe practice from. He would love it......

1687960813159.png

Reactions: bolddogge

was21

May 29, 2007

He had a great impact on the game of football, but not really that much of one on Mississippi State football.....JMHO

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
So, I think I'm probably going to get flamed for this blasphemy, but we have statues for Will Clark and Raphael Palmeiro and they spent about the same amount of time at Mississippi State as Leach did.

They were both on campus for 3 seasons (1983, 1984, 1985). In those 3 seasons, the teams they were on:
1983 - second in the SEC, lost their regional
1984 - third in the SEC, lost their regional
1985 - won SEC, won regional, 2-2 at CWS

My point being is that while they were both great players at State and we consider both of them 'one of us', we tend to lionize Clark and Palmeiro largely for either what "could have been" on those teams and what they did outside their time at Mississippi State.

I don't see why Leach can't get that same benefit of the doubt. I'm not even saying it has to be a big thing. I guess I just don't understand the outright dismissal of the idea simply because he died before we could find out what 'could have been' or because he accomplished more somewhere else.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
My point being is that while they were both great players at State and we consider both of them 'one of us', we tend to lionize Clark and Palmeiro largely for either what "could have been" on those teams
"for what they could have been on those teams?"

Seriously????? How about for what they WERE on those teams? Very hard to compare apples to apples but these accolades that Raffy and Will had while playing here, for Leach would be equivalent of National Coach of the Year, Western Div Coach of the Year, Western Div champion, going to the playoffs while here, setting records for wins here. Outside of being a great interview, humorist, and a really nice genuine down to earth guy, he was a .500 coach here and that's it.

These states below have nothing to do w/ "what they could have been", its what they did.

Clark @ MSU:
-Golden Spikes College Baseball Player of the Year 1985
-All American, First team, The Sporting News (’84, ‘85)
-All SEC, All SEC Western Division (’84, ‘85)
-Member of 1984 US Olympic Baseball team
-SEC Tournament Championship (’85)
-College World Series (’85)
-Led SEC in HRs (25), RBIs (77), Hits (94), & Runs scored (75) (’85)
-Inducted into National College Baseball Hall of Fame
-Member of MS Sports Hall of Fame

Ralf @ MS:
-Set Mississippi State and SEC career record for home runs (67), RBIs (239) and total bases (530).
-First triple-crown winner in SEC history with a .415 average, 29 HR and 94 RBIs (1984).
-SEC All-Tournament team (1983).
-NCAA Regional All-Tournament team (1984, 1985)
-Member of MS Sports Hall of Fame
-Inducted into College Baseball Hall of Fame

Together they led MSU to its highest end-of-the-season ranking in school history at that point (No. 3 in 1985).

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Mike Leach was only here for three years but I really think he had us on the verge of some great things. He had finally slayed the Ole Miss dragon (on the road in the rain no less) and won nine games his third season (yes, I’m giving him the bowl game victory). More than that, he meant so much to college football. Not even Nick Saban would get the outpouring of love and support Leach did after his death. I’m not saying we should build a statue, but we should definitely do something. Name something fairly prominent after him or put a small memorial in Davis Wade or something like that.
When Saban dies I am going to go roll Toomer's corner.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login