Mike Leach Memorial

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
"for what they could have been on those teams?"

Seriously????? How about for what they WERE on those teams? Very hard to compare apples to apples but these accolades that Raffy and Will had while playing here, for Leach would be equivalent of National Coach of the Year, Western Div Coach of the Year, Western Div champion, going to the playoffs while here, setting records for wins here. Outside of being a great interview, humorist, and a really nice genuine down to earth guy, he was a .500 coach here and that's it.

These states below have nothing to do w/ "what they could have been", its what they did.

Clark @ MSU:
-Golden Spikes College Baseball Player of the Year 1985
-All American, First team, The Sporting News (’84, ‘85)
-All SEC, All SEC Western Division (’84, ‘85)
-Member of 1984 US Olympic Baseball team
-SEC Tournament Championship (’85)
-College World Series (’85)
-Led SEC in HRs (25), RBIs (77), Hits (94), & Runs scored (75) (’85)
-Inducted into National College Baseball Hall of Fame
-Member of MS Sports Hall of Fame

Ralf @ MS:
-Set Mississippi State and SEC career record for home runs (67), RBIs (239) and total bases (530).
-First triple-crown winner in SEC history with a .415 average, 29 HR and 94 RBIs (1984).
-SEC All-Tournament team (1983).
-NCAA Regional All-Tournament team (1984, 1985)
-Member of MS Sports Hall of Fame
-Inducted into College Baseball Hall of Fame

Together they led MSU to its highest end-of-the-season ranking in school history at that point (No. 3 in 1985).
Easy fella... you put something in quotes, but that's not what I said, at least not in the context I meant. To be clear, I meant what those teams could have been. We all talk about how great that 1985 team was (and it was) and how it should have won the CWS (and it should have) and how it could have if "X" happened differently (Gene Morgan getting hurt, pitching Brantley on limited rest vs Miami, etc.). The 1985 team, for all intents and purposes, is looked back on with pride, yes, but also with a great deal of regret and what 'could have been'. This board was founded with a '1985 Theory' that highlights "what could have been":
The 1985 Theory - If Mississippi State had won the 1985 College World Series, we would have won at least 4 more since

Now.... you are correct that those are great stats and great feats, but when you look at Will Clark's page on the MS Sports Hall of Fame website:
The profile picture is him in a Baltimore Orioles jersey (which I think is perhaps the oddest choice) and there are 6 bullet points on his time at Mississippi State sandwiched between his high school career numbers, Olympic career, and a mountain of MLB numbers.

Hence, he's remembered as much or more for what he did outside of Mississippi State. Even your post above includes a bullet point on the 1984 Olympic team, which has about zero to do with Mississippi State and could actually be seen as a detriment if he was splitting time training/playing with both teams.

Raf is a little different, while his profile picture is as a Texas Ranger, his bio is more college-focused:

I would still argue that if Raf (or Will) went on to have sputtered in the minors or had an extremely average MLB career or failed to do anything outside of Mississippi State, he wouldn't have statues of them at Dudy Noble.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
There’s a lot to digest in this thread. My #1 question is if Mike Leach was so loved & adored by MSU fans then why was DWS attendance so piss poor last year? (in a season where we won 9 games)

In reality, Leach was VERY close to being fired before we found a way to win the egg bowl in ‘22. Everyone has the Leach warm and fuzzies currently because of how things unfortunately & tragically ended.

If you want a sober dose of reality, go back and watch our offense last season against LSU, UK, UGA, Bama, Auburn, OM, & Illinois. It was ugly.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
There’s a lot to digest in this thread. My #1 question is if Mike Leach was so loved & adored by MSU fans then why was DWS attendance so piss poor last year? (in a season where we won 9 games)
Attendance was/is down a lot of places. The way they handled covid in 2020 was a huge kick in the nuts for a lot of folks, and I'm sure that impacted 2021 and 2022. Additionaly, if you didn't attend those 2020 games they ran some sicking BLM propaganda during halftime that almost had me swearing season tickets.
In reality, Leach was VERY close to being fired before we found a way to win the egg bowl in ‘22. Everyone has the Leach warm and fuzzies currently because of how things unfortunately & tragically ended.
I don't think he was ever close to being fired, but I certainly have no inside info.
If you want a sober dose of reality, go back and watch our offense last season against LSU, UK, UGA, Bama, Auburn, OM, & Illinois. It was ugly.
Concur it was bad at times.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

yep

Reactions: retire the banner

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005

This is a terrible take. And stupid too

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Some of the good ole boys here didn’t like him because they didn’t like his namby pamby sissy boy offense. Mississippi State football should be a run it down your throat make the defensive line quit “real man” football, because that was so successful for us through the decades. They didn’t like him when he was coaching us so they sure don’t want any sort of memorial to him and his soy boy offense.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Some of the good ole boys here didn’t like him because they didn’t like his namby pamby sissy boy offense. Mississippi State football should be a run it down your throat make the defensive line quit “real man” football, because that was so successful for us through the decades. They didn’t like him when he was coaching us so they sure don’t want any sort of memorial to him and his soy boy offense.
Truth of the matter is that hasn't been a coach in this league that everybody liked or likes except maybe Saban and everyone has the right to their opinion.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
I used to go to the Thursday radio show and listen to Coach Leach. He rarely ever talked football. He was one of the most delightful men I ever ran across in my 71 years.

Mike Leach was also a tough guy. It showed as we played across his three years. Some where, MS State needs to build a tribute to him. Leach Beach would forever cement his place with our team. Good idea.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
There was a 0% he would have been fired even if he'd lost the Egg Bowl. Saying otherwise is revisionist history, and grasping at straws at a dead man.
His seat was going to be white hot if he had lost to Ole Miss. MSU coaches don't survive long if they lose their first three to Ole Miss.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Leach was 2 games over .500 in 3 years. He didn't do anything special here but he was a cool guy. Name a team meeting room or practice field or something after him.
He took over a program in disarray during the COVID year. His final season we won 9 games. The program was on the right trajectory as were all his programs after 3 years. I say honor the man. He took his last breath as a Bulldog!

Reactions: Dawgg
Aug 22, 2012
We aren’t the shining example of Mike Leach and the air raid. We are just the last small bullet point on his resume. Texas Tech absolutely should build the memorial.
Texas Tech could easily build him a multimillion dollar memorial with the money they screwed him over for. Coach Leach said he would never drop the lawsuit against Texas Tech as long as he was alive. Not sure if that is the place that gets to claim his memorial.

Reactions: Dawgg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login