Mike Wright transfer qb

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I'm not sure if Will can throw the ball down the field or not because I don't remember seeing him try. Is that because of the way the offense was designed (keep is safe / ball control) or everyone knew not to go past where Will could throw? There were times when he showed decent velocity on intermediate passes. Has anyone ever seee Will really just fling it to see how far he can throw.
This either had to do with Will's lack of downfield passing ability OR our WRs inability to get separation going downfield. Gardner Minshew and Anthony Gordon threw down the field much more at Washington State under Leach than Rogers has so far in the same offense at MSU. Even in the AR you have to be able to hit a deep shot here or there to keep the defensive backs from creeping up and totally crowding the area 10 to 15 yards past the LOS. Believe I heard on the T&L podcast this morning that our offense in 2022 dropped nearly 50 yards/game on average from what it had done in 2021 which is very disappointing. I knew the offensive numbers had regressed a bit but I didn't realize by that much. A decent part of that responsibility has to fall on Will's shoulders although without Charles Cross he did face more pressure this past season.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Wright at this point is a warm body. If he's the starter next Fall then Will's either injured or dead.
In the air raid no doubt. With more emphasis on running....not so sure. I couldn't care less who starts or plays the most. If it's Will......great.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Just asking, wasn't Mike Wright the Vandy starter when they beat KY and FL and put up 27 points against South Carolina?

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
I hope there is no real interest in Mike Wright. I was at the Vanderbilt game in Nashville last year and he was one of the worst college quarterbacks I’ve ever seen.
Well he was the primary QB in Vandy's wins over Florida and a team that bear MSU ...(Kentucky)

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
In the air raid no doubt. With more emphasis on running....not so sure. I couldn't care less who starts or plays the most. If it's Will......great.
If you consider 117 net yards from the QB position at App State and -38 net yards at CMU an "emphasis on running" for the QB then I'm not sure what to tell you. Will doesn't have to have a strong arm to hand the ball off.

We'll run more, sure. The QB won't have much, if anything, to do with it.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
If you consider 117 net yards from the QB position at App State and -38 net yards at CMU an "emphasis on running" for the QB then I'm not sure what to tell you. Will doesn't have to have a strong arm to hand the ball off.

We'll run more, sure. The QB won't have much, if anything, to do with it.
It sure won't with Will.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
Apparently we will bring in one more P5 transfer QB in May to compete for the starting job. Rogers has a head start, but there’s no guarantee he comes out the starter in August. If this was a 7-on-7 league, maybe. Parson is coming off of an injury, so don’t count on him for 2023.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Speaking of tight ends, Ryland Goede will be visiting this weekend. Would be an awesome addition if we can land him

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login