"Mississippi Brightwell University" is no more

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
My wife, a W grad, got an email today saying, essentially, that the name change didn't go over well with the alumnae, who had no voice in the name change (and alumni as well perhaps). So it's not MBU any longer, and alumna have until middle February to suggest a proper name change. I have no data, but I suspect a lot of the grads said they'd stop donating to the school, and money talks. Good move - that was a crazy name.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Found this on the SuperTalk website. Quite the word salad:

“As we undertake this meaningful journey together, I want to acknowledge that I am aware of the discourse surrounding our institution’s new proposed name. I want you to know that we remain fully committed to a name change that aligns with our mission and diverse community and that also reflects our historical legacy of empowerment while evolving to provide a comprehensive and inclusive learning experience for everyone.

“As we navigate this significant transition, I am actively reviewing all feedback. I value your insights and experiences in this process. Our commitment to rebranding is unwavering, as we recognize the importance of a name that encapsulates our dedication to inclusivity and excellence in serving future populations. This change is a step toward ensuring that our identity as an institution is in harmony with our values and the diverse community we serve. I appreciate your patience and support.”

I don't know Nora Miller or her history, but this seems like a big fumble on an already risky move and filling communications with flowery language and soaring rhetoric when you can get your ideas across more clearly with something more plainspoken is just going to make it worse.

MarkDallas

Aug 27, 2014
Whatever happened to Welty? I thought there was some momentum behind that? Did she get posthumously cancelled or something?

Reactions: Bulldawg56

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
They want to maintain calling it "The W", so Welty would fit that bill.

This makes perfect sense to me. One of the greatest writers of the 20th century. Born in and spent the vast majority of her life in Mississippi. Attended MUW. Name starts with a W.

Of course something that makes this much sense will be completely ignored by academic types, who instead come up with one of the more ridiculous ideas for a university name imaginable. It's probably because she's a white female in these crazy azz times.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Found this on the SuperTalk website. Quite the word salad:

“As we undertake this meaningful journey together, I want to acknowledge that I am aware of the discourse surrounding our institution’s new proposed name. I want you to know that we remain fully committed to a name change that aligns with our mission and diverse community and that also reflects our historical legacy of empowerment while evolving to provide a comprehensive and inclusive learning experience for everyone.

“As we navigate this significant transition, I am actively reviewing all feedback. I value your insights and experiences in this process. Our commitment to rebranding is unwavering, as we recognize the importance of a name that encapsulates our dedication to inclusivity and excellence in serving future populations. This change is a step toward ensuring that our identity as an institution is in harmony with our values and the diverse community we serve. I appreciate your patience and support.”

I don't know Nora Miller or her history, but this seems like a big fumble on an already risky move and filling communications with flowery language and soaring rhetoric when you can get your ideas across more clearly with something more plainspoken is just going to make it worse.
That’s a lot of corporate/govt jargon bullsh*t there. Between this and even thinking for one second that name was a good idea, she should be fired.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
My wife, a W grad, got an email today saying, essentially, that the name change didn't go over well with the alumnae, who had no voice in the name change (and alumni as well perhaps). So it's not MBU any longer, and alumna have until middle February to suggest a proper name change. I have no data, but I suspect a lot of the grads said they'd stop donating to the school, and money talks. Good move - that was a crazy name.
Name change won’t fix the financial woes. Higher Ed is in trouble over the next decade. MS could benefit from consolidation from K - university but it won’t happen.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Of course they like the "W". It's two Vs rubbing against each other.
lesbian GIF

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
This makes perfect sense to me. One of the greatest writers of the 20th century. Born in and spent the vast majority of her life in Mississippi. Attended MUW. Name starts with a W.

Of course something that makes this much sense will be completely ignored by academic types, who instead come up with one of the more ridiculous ideas for a university name imaginable. It's probably because she's a white female in these crazy azz times.
She actually spent 1 semester there and I heard the family wasn't interested in using her name there

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Name change won’t fix the financial woes. Higher Ed is in trouble over the next decade. MS could benefit from consolidation from K - university but it won’t happen.
All true.

Our ancestors handcuffed us to this pretty tightly.

Inefficient government? Nah!

If you’d written this in the 1930s, you’d be perceived as a liberal and/or a crazed loon and be taken to Whitfield.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
This is what happens when a small number of people lock themselves in a room to discuss a decision long enough that they all convince each other that something is actually a good idea.

All anybody really wants is to be able to still call it "The W"....just make it Welty University and call it a day.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
This is what happens when a small number of people lock themselves in a room to discuss a decision long enough that they all convince each other that something is actually a good idea.

All anybody really wants is to be able to still call it "The W"....just make it Welty University and call it a day.
The simple things aren’t all that simple.

Apparently Eudora Welty wasn’t a fan of The W and entered The Portal to Columbia as soon as she could.

So her family’s not allowing The W the use of her NIL.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The simple things aren’t all that simple.

Apparently Eudora Welty wasn’t a fan of The W and entered The Portal to Columbia as soon as she could.

So her family’s not allowing The W the use of her NIL.
Interesting. Welty isn't as well known nationally as many other writers and her name will soon be forgotten to time, except to a few. But she many have hated the W with a passion. You can't blame someone for going to Columbia given the chance (even if she/he loved the original school).

I think her home is an attraction in Jxn, but as time goes on it likely get less and less visitors. Welty University would be a long standing monument.

Last edited:

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Interesting. Welty isn't as well known nationally as many other writers and her name will soon be forgotten to time, except to a few. But she many have hated the W with a passion. You can't blame someone for going to Columbia given the chance (even if she/he loved the original school).

I think her home is an attraction in Jxn, but as time goes on it likely get less and less visitors. Welty University would be a long standing monument.
I think she was the commencement speaker at the W in the early 70s, about the same time she won the Pulitzer Prize. Could be it wasn't her who disliked the school, but rather the following family members. I have no idea.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Yeah. Time passes.

Welty was mostly known for short stories but her novels were really strong. As RocketDawg mentions, she won the Pulitzer in the 1970s.

She was an underrated photographer and wrote one of the better memoirs that dealt with writing which was a National Book Award finalist.

I think she was the commencement speaker at the W in the early 70s, about the same time she won the Pulitzer Prize. Could be it wasn't her who disliked the school, but rather the following family members. I have no idea.

Yeah. I might have taken a little literary license while discussing the Portal and her NIL. 😂

But considering that copyright protection lasts 70 years, I’m sure the Welty family wants to protect her rights as long as they can.

Maybe The W can call themselves Welty U. in 2072.

Reactions: patdog

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
Raise your hand if your then 4-year old has ever peed in the back of Welty’s garden…

Me and two of my old roommates have kept a text going over the years. I texted them something about it while he was doing it. One of them replied, ‘oh are y’all still there? We live next door’. I had no idea.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
I believe the top result from the survey they took was "The University of Northern Mississippi". Not sure why they went thru the trouble of having a survey only to completely ignore the results. Just go with Northern Miss and call it a day.

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login