"Mississippi Brightwell University" is no more

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
My wife, a W grad, got an email today saying, essentially, that the name change didn't go over well with the alumnae, who had no voice in the name change (and alumni as well perhaps). So it's not MBU any longer, and alumna have until middle February to suggest a proper name change. I have no data, but I suspect a lot of the grads said they'd stop donating to the school, and money talks. Good move - that was a crazy name.

Eastern Mississippi. . . . .

oompa

Aug 23, 2012
They should just do like IBM, KFC, etc have done and just name it MUW. It doesn't stand for anything. It's just MUW.

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
"Unwavering" is exactly the opposite of what the leadership is doing.

I've read that they are excluding all names, to avoid unexpected connections with past or future behavior by the people or the families. So Walker and Williams are supposedly out.

They must include "Mississippi" and no directional words.

They are hoping for a W.

I suggest they just leave it as MUW and get on with life, unless they have legit research showing that their name is really what's wrong with their growth.

New "W" names under consideration:
- Whoops University
- WellMaybeNot University
- WhatWereWeThinking University
- WaitJustADadgumMinute University

Seriously, the name constraint seems overwrought to me.

Waypoint
Wellspring
Whitethorn
Woodglen
Woodmeade
Woodruff
Windermere
Just call it Mississippi University for Women or Mississippi Women's University and be done with this.
In a sane world it would be Mississippi State University - Historic MUW Campus.

Reactions: patdog

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I suggest they just leave it as MUW and get on with life, unless they have legit research showing that their name is really what's wrong with their growth.

They do in fact have that legit research.

One of their Naming Committee people told me that.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

I've read that they are excluding all names, to avoid unexpected connections with past or future behavior by the people or the families. So Walker and Williams are supposedly out.

They are hoping for a W.

- Whoops University

Waypoint
Wellspring
Whitethorn
Woodglen
Woodmeade
Woodruff
Windermere
Just call it Mississippi University for Women or Mississippi Women's University and be done with this.
In a sane world it would be Mississippi State University or MSU - Columbus.

Reactions: catvet

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I don’t know if they will be able to agree on a name that will satisfy most people but I do know that my wife and all of her friends from the 1970’s “W” were highly Pissed off With the Brightwell name. I know that more than a few indicated that they would not be writing any future checks to Brightwell. Most financial donations for any University come from the old alumni and its best if you don’t make them mad. These Ladies have been pretty mad lately. Not too smart.

Reactions: MagicDawg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

They are hoping for a W.

- Whoops University

Waypoint
Wellspring
Whitethorn
Woodglen
Woodmeade
Woodruff
Windermere
Mississippi University for Womb-escapees

More inclusive and they could still call it ‘The W’

Reactions: Palos verdes

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
My wife, a W grad, got an email today saying, essentially, that the name change didn't go over well with the alumnae, who had no voice in the name change (and alumni as well perhaps). So it's not MBU any longer, and alumna have until middle February to suggest a proper name change. I have no data, but I suspect a lot of the grads said they'd stop donating to the school, and money talks. Good move - that was a crazy name.
Hat tip for the correct usage of "alumnae."

Happy Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reactions: Dawgg

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
They've been taking men for a while now. It's an issue.
And they've started many men's sports... baseball, basketball, soccer and golf.

I can't imagine how old it must get for those coaches explain to high school boys that it's not a women's college.

AFDawg

Apr 28, 2010
So Welty is out, but I have an alternative proposal.

Another Mississippi writer who made it big. From near Columbus. A figure who knows something about taking a chance. A change that opens up connections to a male demographic. Name even starts with W.

Brandin 17ing Walker University.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
All true.

Our ancestors handcuffed us to this pretty tightly.

If you’d written this in the 1930s, you’d be perceived as a liberal and/or a crazed loon and be taken to Whitfield.
Yeah in the 1930s the government wasnt nearly as big and nearly as inefficient and didn’t tax the 17 out of US citizens.

Take us 1/4 of the way back to 1930 in government bureaucracy and I’ll stand up and salute 🫡

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Yeah in the 1930s the government wasnt nearly as big and nearly as inefficient and didn’t tax the 17 out of US citizens.

Take us 1/4 of the way back to 1930 in government bureaucracy and I’ll stand up and salute 🫡
1930 wasn't exactly a banner year for the US economically.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login