Mississippi High School NIL

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I need one of you more in the know to clarify something for me. It's my understanding the Mississippi state legislature passed a law around 2021 that gave student athletes access to NIL but it prohibited high school students from NIL.

I see this article written a couple of days ago about Deuce Knight:

Now my understanding is he's not receiving any money until after the season but this potentially has bad precedent written all over it.

Am I missing something here?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Top softball player in college softball just got a deal for over $1MM @ Texas Tech. I know some people that need to see the Budgeting Tips thread on here. No softball player had ever gotten over $200K before.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I need one of you more in the know to clarify something for me. It's my understanding the Mississippi state legislature passed a law around 2021 that gave student athletes access to NIL but it prohibited high school students from NIL.

Now my understanding is he's not receiving any money until after the season but this potentially has bad precedent written all over it.

So he is getting NIL money for being a high school player, or from a group associated with an interested university?

Also, I really want to know how a high school kid defines "life changing" money. For me that would have been about $300...

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
MRA war room is ready for high school NIL, considers how to extend first ever payments to athletes, since all previous and current atheletes attend for free

1721925019882.png

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004

If I'd have had NIL when I played high school football, I would've asked Pizza Inn for one free 3-meat pizza and a pitcher of beer a week.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
My best friend worked at Pizza Inn. He would've cooked me a real Pizza, not something out of the factory.

P.S. And the jukebox would be playing "Paradise By The Dashboard Light" the whole time I was there.
Would have held out for Godfather's.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I got NIL money in high school. One company paid me to have my photo taken loading their trucks out of a warehouse all summer long. I don’t think they ever took photos, but I put in the reps just in case.

• Haha
Reactions: MSUDOG24

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
A trading card company is basically betting that he and other QBs live up to the hype I suppose. I don’t have a problem with it. As long as they aren’t being steered toward a particular school by the deal more power to them and NCAA and the government should stay out of it.

“Knight’s first NIL deal is with Leaf Trading Cards for a reported “life-changing” amount of money.”

Article about Memphis commit has some more detail

The 6-foot-4.5, 215-pound signal-caller joins a growing list of top high school talent to join Leaf. Notre Dame quarterback commit Deuce Knight, USCquarterback commit Julian Lewisand Tennessee quarterback commit George MacIntyre have all signed.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Local gas station would hook me up with a free chicken biscuit on game days. Luckily mhsaa didn’t find out and strip us of that district championship

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
he’s had quite the high school path. so much hype over low 4 star— just another straw on this 5hitty college camel. looking forward to the implosion.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login