Mississippi needs to get on board

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
****. Some of you people are just miserable.

This had nothing to do with politics. She just happens to be the sitting governor of a similar state promoting real economic development. The freaking TopGolf across from Ridgeland HS got major promotion from our state workforce leaders.

The AWS campus is a great start, but we are still 10 years behind. From what I am hearing, Amazon is not happy with the applicant base and is enticing workers from other facilities to consider moving to MS.
You post an OVERTLY political video then try to say it has nothing to do with politics? FOH.

ETA: It's a good topic IMO. But not everyone is going to agree, ya know? In fact, I would argue her administration's policies actively hamper growth in NWA.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
You know her? You’ve had conversations with her to lead you to believe she’s dumb and could never do this herself? You know someone that knows her well and shared this information with you?
I don't know her but have friends that have worked with her. They are pretty intelligent dudes and they were fairly impressed with her. I don't think she is a tech genius but she is bright enough to see the big picture and get good people to help her.

NWA $$$$ also helps.

Reactions: JackShephard

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
You post an OVERTLY political video then try to say it has nothing to do with politics? FOH.

ETA: It's a good topic IMO. But not everyone is going to agree, ya know? In fact, I would argue her administration's policies actively hamper growth in NWA.
Which policies specifically ?

Reactions: JackShephard

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
One of our biggest issue is poor public schools. Private schools are foreign concept to many outside the state. Since parents make public schools, and we have more than our fair share of sh-tty parents, that's not not going to change. Concentrate our efforts on the few areas with good public schools, which unfortunately leaves out most of the state. Public schools are the difference between Oxford and Sarkvegas.
Starkville schools have made tremendous progress the last few years. They have the same rating as Oxford does.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Unfortunately, i believe there's a lot "smoke and mirrors" in those rankings. Teaching to test, and sometimes cheating, is common. Don't get me wrong we have some areas with great schools, but that's a very small percentage of the state.
It's not a small % anymore.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Starkville schools have made tremendous progress the last few years. They have the same rating as Oxford does.
Not saying this isn't the case "on paper," but if it were true in reality, Starkville Academy would decrease in enrollment dramatically. Plus both city and country schools there are both excellent.

I do concur though, Starkville Public has come a lonnnngggg way in a short time. The partnership with MSU has been a great thing.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
What a useless 17ing video.

A person… in Arkansas… owns a Cybertruck🤯 wow! Look out world! Somebody put on a drone show… IN ARKANSAS (gasp!) Why can’t we have drone shows in Mississippi?!?

Warehouses?!? In Bentonville, AR?!? Whaaaaa?

Generic congenial electronic music … in NORTHWEST ARKANSAS?!? Not Miami or Silicon Valley?!? I am truly in awe.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's not a small % anymore.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I agree with the OP, but what we really need are low skilled factory jobs. Even with that, our workforce is often poor, I know several execs at the Nissan plant in Canton, they ***** about the workforce to no end.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I agree with the OP, but what we really need are low skilled factory jobs. Even with that, our workforce is often poor, I know several execs at the Nissan plant in Canton, they ***** about the workforce to no end.
The days of low-skilled factory jobs are over and have been for 30+ years. Those jobs require competent professionals who want to be paid like it.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
This little ho-hum town in northwest Arkansas does have a leg up... Bentonville happens to be the home of the #1 company on the global Fortune 500. I'd say the area (and it's home state) have a slight advantage in resources to invest in tech and education over Mississippi and, say, Tupelo.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The days of low-skilled factory jobs are over and have been for 30+ years. Those jobs require competent professionals who want to be paid like it.
There's a difference between putting Altimas together than high tech drone or rocket assembly. I'd rather there be more high tech jobs, and we do have some and need more, but we need more lower skilled jobs such as the tire factory in Clinton.

Reactions: dorndawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
There's a difference between putting Altimas together than high tech drone or rocket assembly. I'd rather there be more high tech jobs, and we do have some and need more, but we need more lower skilled jobs such as the tire factory in Clinton.
Sure, there's a spectrum. But there just aren't many factory jobs today where any ol' person can roll in off the street and start doing it within a shift or two, which is what I'd call a low-skill job.

dgsmith15

Nov 10, 2008
Not to make it political, but let's be honest someone is running that program for her. She is not what one would call a beacon of intelligence. Not passing any judgement on conservatives in general just this one particular person. I have no doubt she is taking credit for this but someone else is dealing with the nuts and bolts.
devil satan GIF

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
For the record, no I do not know her personally as most of the people that comment about different people on here do not know the folks they are commenting on either. I am not saying she is a moron, but a scholar she is not. Do you think she would have the job she has without her dad's influence in that state? The answer is a very simple one, no. I am not taking issue with all conservatives, or liberals for that matter. If you like nepo babies, then I guess to each his own.
Easy to say when you are an eternal being...

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Or it could be the fact that she more than held her own as the President's Press Secretary...
She constantly lied, was called out on the lies, and then lied about lying.
She didnt even hold a press briefing for the last 3 months of being...Press Secretary. Instead of having her actually meeting with the press, Trump decided to take over and hold his own press briefings at random times of the day in random places.
...over 3 months of not holding press briefings, but sure- she more than held her own.**

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Or it could be the fact that she more than held her own as the President's Press Secretary, and then followed that up by doing a good job as a news commentator, is a NYT best selling author, and served on the Fulbright board. It sounds like you're just jealous that she's made it further than you ever will. Truth be told, I would bet a very large sum that she would outscore you on any IQ test or ACT/SAT type test.
Again, if she were Sarah Smith from Anywhereville USA, then she would have done none of those things. Do you really think she would have been the president’s press secretary had she been Sarah Smith? She started on third base like most nepo babies do. Nice dig on the test thing though I will give you that all day. For the record, I would not be afraid to take that test against anyone, including her. What I do not like about her is the same thing I do not like about any nepo babies, of any political leanings, they all start on third base and act like they did something. I have had to work for everything that I have, and you are right it is not on the level that she has been gifted but at least I have earned it.

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Again, if she were Sarah Smith from Anywhereville USA, then she would have done none of those things. Do you really think she would have been the president’s press secretary had she been Sarah Smith? She started on third base like most nepo babies do. Nice dig on the test thing though I will give you that all day. For the record, I would not be afraid to take that test against anyone, including her. What I do not like about her is the same thing I do not like about any nepo babies, of any political leanings, they all start on third base and act like they did something. I have had to work for everything that I have, and your right it is not on the level that she has been gifted but at least I have earned it.
Didn't you kinda get your job from a Dude you know, though?***

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Again, if she were Sarah Smith from Anywhereville USA, then she would have done none of those things. Do you really think she would have been the president’s press secretary had she been Sarah Smith? She started on third base like most nepo babies do. Nice dig on the test thing though I will give you that all day. For the record, I would not be afraid to take that test against anyone, including her. What I do not like about her is the same thing I do not like about any nepo babies, of any political leanings, they all start on third base and act like they did something. I have had to work for everything that I have, and your right it is not on the level that she has been gifted but at least I have earned it.
The modern, 'wannabe-cool' conservative loves to act like these women politicians are the saviors. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but that's not the point. Guess it makes them feel like they are progressive. Remember how they all spazzed over Nikki Haley for president? Same with Katie Britt, them Bammers are loving some mom on a mission right now. And of course, it has to be young semi-decent looking ones, because they all hate Kay Ivey and Cindy Hyde-Smith.

Good Lord this country is 17ed.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
A big segment of the parents that give a shlt are going private or homeschooling, all across America. Especially true in MS. So, while I agree with you, @greenbean.sixpack is also correct in that there aren't many good schools in MS. The few good ones left (with a reputation) are gaining so many students that it's creating a parabolic effect, which results in 7A being so much bigger than 6A/5A, etc.

There are some decent small ones still around but they are few and far between. It's because people are sheep and flock to whatever the shiny thing is, and like you said, garbage in, garbage out. It's not an exact science, obviously some of the big ones are still bad too but you get the general point, so none of you @ me with your exceptions to the rule. I'm sure @L4Dawg will pipe up with mUh SmItHvIlLe or something
These are articles from a pro-homeschool site.
Homeschooling increased significantly as a % during the start of Covid and the following 1 school year('21-'22). It increased at 9.1% per year between 2020 and 2022 and was a 485,000 increase in actual numbers.

Meanwhile, public schooling went from 49.374Million in 2020 to 49.618Million in 2022, which is a 244,000 increase in actual numbers.

With many states that are currently rural and red having approved public dollars for private education over the last 2 years, due to a national push by a few interest groups, private schooling has definitely seen an increase in enrollment.

^ just some numbers that add to your post.

As for my personal opinion- if public funds are used, then public accountability is a must. All schools who accept public funds must follow financial laws that govern public funds. If this is not happening, then that state's Legislature and Governor should be ashamed.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Fire away. I’m not locking it.
I would list these two first when talking about why a large number of highly-skilled workers might not want to move to NWA (or Arkansas/ Mississippi in general). I assure you, I'm not inserted in debating the merits of the issues, but they are very real motivators for people who can live/work most anywhere. And sure, some number high-skilled workers are moving there bc they like the political climate.

1) Lack of access to women's reproductive care.
2) Lack of access to quality public education (including child care), exacerbated by the introduction of vouchers.

ETA: Other than the local college being sort of annoying, if I had to move to a random city I'd consider Fayetteville.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
She constantly lied, was called out on the lies, and then lied about lying.
She didnt even hold a press briefing for the last 3 months of being...Press Secretary. Instead of having her actually meeting with the press, Trump decided to take over and hold his own press briefings at random times of the day in random places.
...over 3 months of not holding press briefings, but sure- she more than held her own.**
She did. Jean-Pierre lies and obfuscates daily. It's part of the job. The difference is the media covers for one party and lies about the other one. I'm sure you're smart enough to know which way that goes. The media were absolutely horrible to SHS, but that's not something that you're unaware of or care about.

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
*you're*

You were "born" on home plate, and turned it into eternal damnation. So, there's that.

But, here in the real world, people who say "born on 3rd base" really grind my gears. It's just another way to claim some sort of victimhood. I was born into a poor family, and I too have had to work hard for everything I have. I just don't begrudge those who were born into means. They can't help that any more than I could help being born poor. It's what you do with it. And at least she's done something with it. We could all name a slew of people who were born into means and then turned into a useless dope head (looking at you, Hunter). Your gripe just comes across as pure and simple jealousy.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
She did. Jean-Pierre lies and obfuscates daily. It's part of the job. The difference is the media covers for one party and lies about the other one. I'm sure you're smart enough to know which way that goes. The media were absolutely horrible to SHS, but that's not something that you're unaware of or care about.
I dont consider constant lying and not even doing the obvious part of her job for the last 3 months she was employed to be her 'holding her own'.
That seems like something everyone would agree with, but clearly you do think constant lying and not even doing the obvious part of her job for 3 months is good.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login