Mississippi State Emblematic of Programs Facing the Abyss

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Interesting that essentially everyone in the media confused Mississippi State and OM until 2020. We were similar programs that produced similar results since integration in 1970 (lookup overall wins/losses, head to head results between schools for 50 years 1970-2020). So what changed in 2020 to where these articles are being written about MSU and OM is absent from the conversation? Did all of our boosters pass away? Did OM all of the sudden become super wealthy?

We are living with the consequences of Cohen’s actions. Thankfully, there’s a way to change the narrative with this new regime. But It will be a damn difficult task.

My overall point is, there isn’t some invisible obstacle from keeping us from being competitive in this environment. Our decisions in the athletic department have put us in this spot. If we had hired Sarkisian in 2020 and had a competent AD, these articles wouldn’t be written. We have the resources to make things work, just need competent leadership.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Bleh, we'll survive, but we just won't win much. We'll live on that SEC welfare money for many years to come. The blue bloods need whipping boys.

This 'separation' of the blue bloods won't happen in most of our lifetimes. This thread earlier today speaks to that:

Reactions: Dawgbite

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Rock Westfall is a handicapper. And as all articles do they just ignore the fact the Pac 12 shot itself in the foot. It could still be together with good leadership.

Last edited:

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Bleh, we'll survive, but we just won't win much. We'll live on that SEC welfare money for many years to come. The blue bloods need whipping boys.

This 'separation' of the blue bloods won't happen in most of our lifetimes. This thread earlier today speaks to that:

There's a lot of stuff happening today in college football that many predicted would happen but it would be decades from now. I hope you're right but I won't be surprised if it happens at warp speed.

Reactions: aTotal360

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
This is an uninformed opinion article based solely on well it’s Mississippi State…. The guys bio is a former professional sports gambler and the winner of several handicapping championships, including the Winner's Circle. Since 1989 he has worked as a handicapping consultant, sports gambling journalist, and a radio/podcast host/guest.

Click bait is what this is

Reactions: Dawgg

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
The ACC is the next domino to fall. We may get edged out, but there are a few north eastern ACC teams who should be much more worried.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Keith Carter so far appears to be an excellent AD. He has done a great job pulling Ole Miss out of the mess Bjork had them in. Cohen was a mediocre SEC baseball coach and horrible pick for AD. Selmon is just waiting out the Oklahoma AD job. Keenum is a status quo government bureaucrat.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There's a lot of stuff happening today in college football that many predicted would happen but it would be decades from now. I hope you're right but I won't be surprised if it happens at warp speed.
I think a bunch of this was driven during the COVID upheaval. We're already seeing society trying to snap back to the way it was before COVID, no matter if the changes were good or bad. So all that to say....I think we're about to see some stabilization.

But if we keep getting lawsuits.....who knows.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
funny thing - for 1/3 to 1/2 of the people outside the great state of Mississippi - they will confuse "Ole Miss" with "Mississippi State". So whatever success Ole Miss has this year, oddly enough, we will actually benefit from

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
While I don’t like what he had to say, I can’t really disagree with anything he said either. Our saving grace is that we are a founding me of the SEC if that really means anything and the big boys don’t want too much parity. Someone has to lose on homecoming!

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
While I don’t like what he had to say, I can’t really disagree with anything he said either. Our saving grace is that we are a founding me of the SEC if that really means anything and the big boys don’t want too much parity. Someone has to lose on homecoming!
My god when did this fan base become a bunch of 🐱

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
The situation is probably not as dire as the article says; but if success will be directly related to how much NIL money the fan base can raise, the population numbers aren't in our favor.

On the positive side, we're in the premier conference for anyone wanting to be in the NFL. That should at least count for something, which is why I would make the SEC logo a prominent feature of any recruiting material.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Keith Carter so far appears to be an excellent AD. He has done a great job pulling Ole Miss out of the mess Bjork had them in. Cohen was a mediocre SEC baseball coach and horrible pick for AD. Selmon is just waiting out the Oklahoma AD job. Keenum is a status quo government bureaucrat.
Why do you say that about Selmon? Because he hasn’t caved to the baseball whiners? Just because he grabbed Lebby doesn’t mean anything. Lebby could have been coaching under Heupel or Lane. Doesn’t mean Selmon wants to go to those universities.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
While I think it will be next to impossible to compete for a championship in this new environment, I don't think &tate is endanger of losing their place in the SEC. Not now at least

It will be interesting to see how this new SEC schedule will play out, especially when we go to 9 sec games. However even the bluebloods want a few breather weeks.

Also as long as the TV money keeps getting better and better, none of the big boys are complaining about us being around.

Reactions: Bulldawg77

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Regarding OM, Carter is a good AD. However being in the right place and right time to hire Kiffen was lucky and good at the same time.

Their popularity in college football and uptick in recruiting is all about Kiffen. Their boosters love him. The media likes him. So the money is flowing.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Regarding OM, Carter is a good AD. However being in the right place and right time to hire Kiffen was lucky and good at the same time.

Their popularity in college football and uptick in recruiting is all about Kiffen. Their boosters love him. The media likes him. So the money is flowing.
I think we are at a defining time in eras due to portal and nil.

Reactions: Maroon13

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
We will survive as the league needs a couple of whipping boys. Everyone can’t be a winner. Just keep the checks coming.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

Let me preface this by saying that I still whole-heartedly believe that Kiffin is an absolute idiot and that he sold his soul long ago for just a small chance of success. That said, I think some of us made a big mistake when he was hired by assuming that even if he did win some games early on, he'd just be poached by a bigger school within 2-3 years. It could still happen, but like you said, he and the OM boosters seem to be really comfortable together

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Let me preface this by saying that I still whole-heartedly believe that Kiffin is an absolute idiot and that he sold his soul long ago for just a small chance of success. That said, I think some of us made a big mistake when he was hired by assuming that even if he did win some games early on, he'd just be poached by a bigger school within 2-3 years. It could still happen, but like you said, he and the OM boosters seem to be really comfortable together
I just took a look at their roster, and more to the point, who they have returning and who they got and what they actually did at their last stop. They actually do have some studs. I don't know that this really compares to the paper tigers of 2009 and 2015.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Isn’t that a part of the cycle of MSU fandom?

We called them blue hairs back in the day and now we’re them.
Black Cat GIF

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I thought a lot of this stuff would have happened sooner, not later. I love college sports, but it doesn't make any sense.

College sports has always been a terrible business model. No business should be reliant on donations to survive. And the "free" athletic labor pool had to dry up.

When coaching salaries started getting ridiculous in the late '80s and into the '90s, I thought the whole thing was becoming unsustainable. At some point fans would surely stop backing this.

What I didn't see coming was the TV revenue. I never dreamed that every single game would be televised, and that such a system would be financially viable for the network. It's insanity.

I question whether institutions of higher education should even be in this business? Yes, it is great for alumni relations and student recruiting. But I remember a time when football coaches having higher salaries than the University President was considered an outrage! Now, I'm not sure why the President has any say in the Athletic Department at all.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Interesting that essentially everyone in the media confused Mississippi State and OM until 2020. We were similar programs that produced similar results since integration in 1970 (lookup overall wins/losses, head to head results between schools for 50 years 1970-2020). So what changed in 2020 to where these articles are being written about MSU and OM is absent from the conversation? Did all of our boosters pass away? Did OM all of the sudden become super wealthy?

We are living with the consequences of Cohen’s actions. Thankfully, there’s a way to change the narrative with this new regime. But It will be a damn difficult task.

My overall point is, there isn’t some invisible obstacle from keeping us from being competitive in this environment. Our decisions in the athletic department have put us in this spot. If we had hired Sarkisian in 2020 and had a competent AD, these articles wouldn’t be written. We have the resources to make things work, just need competent leadership.
I agree on not hiring Sark.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
What are you , the cheerleading police ?
So… for those reading he doesn’t give a dime to BC or the BI. Yet he post negative **** about state ATH.
Let’s go 85!! Are you invested in state or just a negative poster on the pack????
Cause those of us that give care a ton more than you

Reactions: The Fatboy

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
So… for those reading he doesn’t give a dime to BC or the BI. Yet he post negative **** about state ATH.
Let’s go 85!! Are you invested in state or just a negative poster on the pack????
Cause those of us that give care a ton more than you
She doesn't care about State

Reactions: Bulldawg77

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
He doesn't care about State
I want to point out this… the most negative posters Goat and 85 do not give a dime to NIL or BC. Some…. Didn’t attend our university yet post negative BS every day.
Do not give them the time of day. They are part of the problem!!

Reactions: MedDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login