Mississippi State Emblematic of Programs Facing the Abyss

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
This is an uninformed opinion article based solely on well it’s Mississippi State…. The guys bio is a former professional sports gambler and the winner of several handicapping championships, including the Winner's Circle. Since 1989 he has worked as a handicapping consultant, sports gambling journalist, and a radio/podcast host/guest.

Click bait is what this is
Probably lost his ąss the first few weeks of 2014 and never forgave us for it.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
If a super league is created someone still has to lose and there will still be a perennial door mat.
Stfu GIF by MOODMAN

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
So… for those reading he doesn’t give a dime to BC or the BI. Yet he post negative **** about state ATH.
Let’s go 85!! Are you invested in state or just a negative poster on the pack????
Cause those of us that give care a ton more than you
run along Junior, you need to be relieved of your duties as hall Monitor

patdog

May 28, 2007
I thought a lot of this stuff would have happened sooner, not later. I love college sports, but it doesn't make any sense.

College sports has always been a terrible business model. No business should be reliant on donations to survive. And the "free" athletic labor pool had to dry up.

When coaching salaries started getting ridiculous in the late '80s and into the '90s, I thought the whole thing was becoming unsustainable. At some point fans would surely stop backing this.

What I didn't see coming was the TV revenue. I never dreamed that every single game would be televised, and that such a system would be financially viable for the network. It's insanity.

I question whether institutions of higher education should even be in this business? Yes, it is great for alumni relations and student recruiting. But I remember a time when football coaches having higher salaries than the University President was considered an outrage! Now, I'm not sure why the President has any say in the Athletic Department at all.
It’s a very strange system. In most countries, schools and athletic clubs are completely separate things.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Post your contribution sir.. post it. You won’t because we both know it’s zero. Junior..

You gonna be a ***** own it
how much I have given in the past or how much I plan to give in the future is none of your 17ing business so go 17 yourself, Junior

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Remember when that reporter suggested that State and Ole Miss be replaced by Central Florida and South Florida? Nothing but knuckle heads in the press. Stop listening to these fools. Once I saw the Clarion Ledger listed, I stop reading but unfortunately, I gave it a click. PLeas warn us.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
how much I have given in the past or how much I plan to give in the future is none of your 17ing business so go 17 yourself, Junior
Let ye those of 6 pack know 85 didn’t attend our beloved school. Let 6 pack know 85 has nor plans to contribute to the Bulldog initiative. Take his negative post as that negative.. just like goat. They enjoy the negative while being part of the problem and not the solution.

Those that won’t always deflect.

• Haha
Reactions: 85Bears

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Instead of posting this take he laughed. An emoji!!. And I love a good laugh. But … let it be stated this perso under 85 knows he never attended our beloved university and … to that point have never given a dime to our university yet has made it his priority to post negative crap

I want all 6pack to understand that the goats the 85s of our fan base aren’t for the betterment of our community and our university

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
2 things about the article that don’t make a lot of sense to me:

1) why do some think that the power group will get more exclusive? I see this prediction a lot on this board and then by whoever wrote this article. Outside of the debacle that happened with Oregon state and Washington state, the power 5 has become more inclusive. Several programs have made the jump from lower level to power 5. I guess what happened to Oregon state and Washington state could become the norm but that appears to be bad timing and being in a region that just does not support college sports the way the Midwest and southeast does. So far, that situation has been the exception, not the rule.

2) the write made a statement (paraphrasing here) but that state could compete better when “NIL” was under the table and illegal. I just don’t understand the basis for that at all. State was not getting and will not get the top transfers or 5 star players. But what we can do is put together a solid roster of starting players. You already have the blue bloods complaining that the depth on their roster is not what it used to be. I’ll admit that a lot of changed since Leach passed but he seemed to be doing just fine with the portal. We did win 9 games just 2 years ago. We were put in a bad situation with the passing of Leach and then we made it worse by making an incredibly short sighted hire… but really what has changed in terms of where we are in the pecking order of recruits? In terms of other SEC teams, nothing has changed.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
2 things about the article that don’t make a lot of sense to me:

1) why do some think that the power group will get more exclusive? I see this prediction a lot on this board and then by whoever wrote this article. Outside of the debacle that happened with Oregon state and Washington state, the power 5 has become more inclusive. Several programs have made the jump from lower level to power 5. I guess what happened to Oregon state and Washington state could become the norm but that appears to be bad timing and being in a region that just does not support college sports the way the Midwest and southeast does. So far, that situation has been the exception, not the rule.

2) the write made a statement (paraphrasing here) but that state could compete better when “NIL” was under the table and illegal. I just don’t understand the basis for that at all. State was not getting and will not get the top transfers or 5 star players. But what we can do is put together a solid roster of starting players. You already have the blue bloods complaining that the depth on their roster is not what it used to be. I’ll admit that a lot of changed since Leach passed but he seemed to be doing just fine with the portal. We did win 9 games just 2 years ago. We were put in a bad situation with the passing of Leach and then we made it worse by making an incredibly short sighted hire… but really what has changed in terms of where we are in the pecking order of recruits? In terms of other SEC teams, nothing has changed.
Agree on point one, but it’s a lot easier to keep a four star DT in State when the rules don’t allow for an open bidding war of 250-500K. A car and a job for the parent was not uncommon, we Could match that and the kid got to stay home.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Agree on point one, but it’s a lot easier to keep a four star DT in State when the rules don’t allow for an open bidding war of 250-500K. A car and a job for the parent was not uncommon, we Could match that and the kid got to stay home.
What was your BI contribution

Aug 15, 2011
Good grief some people are acting like this year is 1989 after Tech and ten. We had one bad season due to Leach dying and Arnett being way over his head. We’ve been a mid level SEC school with a respectable fan base since 2010. Most people under 22 don’t remember the Felker, late Sherrill, or Croom years. We’ll be fine going into whatever college football turns into. OM will eventually return to their average selves as usual.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
what Are you like 12 years old ?
Let it be heard from the zero donor

when did you graduate state. I was in 2000 what dorm apt complex did you live. … oh wait you didn’t attend state.

Last edited:

Msdeltareb

Aug 26, 2014
Regarding OM, Carter is a good AD. However being in the right place and right time to hire Kiffen was lucky and good at the same time.

Their popularity in college football and uptick in recruiting is all about Kiffen. Their boosters love him. The media likes him. So the money is flowing.
This is pretty much correct but you do have to give KC credit for having the nuts to make the hire. It wasn’t a popular move among much of the older crowd and lots of other schools passed on him because of “his history”.

Reactions: patdog

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
According to this drunk - Our last time being relevant was after the 2022 season, since then (aka 1.5 years ago), things have spiraled out of control. What great insight and journalisming! Our HOF (?) coach died and we had a mess of a season. Yes, regulate us to obscurity. That'll show us!

Us making the same amount of money per year as Georgia, Florida, Texas, OU, Bama, etc. is ludicrous (spoiler alert, we don't anyway). But South Carolina, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Missouri, and Kentucky? No problem. Riiiiight. I bet this guy has Ole Miss ties. This article could've been written about 30 different schools. But he chose us.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009
Why do you say that about Selmon? Because he hasn’t caved to the baseball whiners? Just because he grabbed Lebby doesn’t mean anything. Lebby could have been coaching under Heupel or Lane. Doesn’t mean Selmon wants to go to those universities.
Really? Lebby has nothing/little to do with it.

Selmon's Dad and Uncle were football stars at Oklahoma, Selmon grew up in Norman, OK, and he was an assistant in the athletic department at Oklahoma for 10 of the 12 years before he took our job.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
State fans worry about the dumbest ****
I for one am not "worried" about his made up scenario, but I do think it's ridiculous for us to be chosen as the poster child for teams that will get shitt on in realignment. I'd rather not be the example, and I think there are many many other teams that fit his reasoning better. We won 9 games year before last, then Leach died. It's not like we've been a perennial cellar dweller.

HOWEVER; we do need football to hurry the F up so we can stop talking about stupid shitt.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I for one am not "worried" about his made up scenario, but I do think it's ridiculous for us to be chosen as the poster child for teams that will get shitt on in realignment. I'd rather not be the example, and I think there are many many other teams that fit his reasoning better. We won 9 games year before last, then Leach died. It's not like we've been a perennial cellar dweller.

HOWEVER; we do need football to hurry the F up so we can stop talking about stupid shitt.
Leach was a good coach ? First ive heard of this.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login