Mississippi Today article on the Powe ....

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Reading that article gave me a headache

Well, you know she doesn't post here because if she did that story would just be ONE. LONG. PARAGRAPH.

Thank goodness reporters love those one-sentence paragraphs.

I'd rather have a headache from a long story filled with those paragraphs instead of a long story with only one paragraph.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
I talked to one of my clients in Waynesboro yesterday, and he said Leggett is telling people he will own Ridgeland PD when it's all over. Also said that a Mathis scammed a group of guys he knew out of some money and they only got it back when they cornered Mathis together and told him that he'd hang from the river bridge that night if they didn't get their money right then. They got their money back right then.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
In Powes defense there were so many scammers coming into the state when the medical weed thing started. We had several "experts" reach to our family business for investment. We did not bite, but I knew there would be people that would. This con man will get to have an extended stay in hell like most of them. I know that comes as little comfort to the people he scammed. Rule of thumb anybody asks you to hand over money at least do the basic research.

Also: It is hilarious that Powe slept on the guys legs. Can you imagine having a former NFL nose guard sleeping on top of you? Plus that should have been a pretty good sign to Powe and his buddy they were not getting anything back.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Ok so I posted this earlier but he was listed as 350 pounds on the jail record. He is 6 foot 2 and in 2015 in the NFL he was 331 pounds and that is an official weight

NFL (331 pounds)
1674585062613.png

Jail photo (claims 350 pounds)
1674585094986.png

I am going with 405 pounds. You cannot get out from under that man, he is big heavy.

Reactions: LocalBeachBum

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
In Powes defense there were so many scammers coming into the state when the medical weed thing started. We had several "experts" reach to our family business for investment. We did not bite, but I knew there would be people that would. This con man will get to have an extended stay in hell like most of them. I know that comes as little comfort to the people he scammed. Rule of thumb anybody asks you to hand over money at least do the basic research.

Also: It is hilarious that Powe slept on the guys legs. Can you imagine having a former NFL nose guard sleeping on top of you? Plus that should have been a pretty good sign to Powe and his buddy they were not getting anything back.
This is correct. In fact, state health officials said scammers have been selling "Hemp Oil" and "CBD Oil" for a long time that they tested and it was actually just Olive Oil.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Allegedly
Ginger Squirrely Dan GIF by Crave

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
This is correct. In fact, state health officials said scammers have been selling "Hemp Oil" and "CBD Oil" for a long time that they tested and it was actually just Olive Oil.
Should’ve called them essential. Justifies a 17% premium

patdog

May 28, 2007
I talked to one of my clients in Waynesboro yesterday, and he said Leggett is telling people he will own Ridgeland PD when it's all over. Also said that a Mathis scammed a group of guys he knew out of some money and they only got it back when they cornered Mathis together and told him that he'd hang from the river bridge that night if they didn't get their money right then. They got their money back right then.
Sounds like they've got some very incriminating texts to/from Leggett, the lady from TX, Powe and the CA guy. Cause Mathis sure isn't a credible witness, and it's questionable if he'll even be found to testify at a trial.

Reactions: Ghostman

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Sounds like this Mathis guy needs to get the Luca Brasi treatment. Just based on what I read I don't believe a word he said but apparently I would treat it like the gospel if I heard him say them. I do know one thing though. The notion that Jerrell Powe slept on his legs all night is pure-T bullcrap for obvious reasons.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Normally, Powe, you'd think would be in big trouble here (10-20 yrs. of prison time) Of course, it will depend on the DA's philosophy. With the way DA's are backsliding everywhere, it wouldn't surprise me to see him get 3 years probation and some community service.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
But Ridgeland Municipal Court prosecutor Boty McDonald said he has the written communication to prove the vigilante efforts of the aggrieved investors constitute a felony.
Boty? Yeah, that tracks for a Mississippi lawyer.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Sounds like they've got some very incriminating texts to/from Leggett, the lady from TX, Powe and the CA guy. Cause Mathis sure isn't a credible witness, and it's questionable if he'll even be found to testify at a trial.
Going to be really interested to see what they wrote that can't be explained away as hyperbole.

Reactions: Msdeltareb

patdog

May 28, 2007
Going to be really interested to see what they wrote that can't be explained away as hyperbole.
Pretty sure the hyperbole defense isn't going to get you anywhere if you texted Powe about using some muscle if needed to get the money and he does. I have trouble believing they not only didn't arrest any conspirators, but also release Powe and the CA guy if all they had was the word of the swindler.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Pretty sure the hyperbole defense isn't going to get you anywhere if you texted Powe about using some muscle if needed to get the money and he does. I have trouble believing they not only didn't arrest any conspirators, but also release Powe and the CA guy if all they had was the word of the swindler.
Depends on the phrasing. If they said something like, I don't know, "I don't care if you have to sleep on top of him, don't let him out of your sights until he returns our money" that is arguably something that would lead to false imprisonment but that you could I think reasonably argue was hyperbole and not an actual intent to conspire to falsely imprison the scammer. But "let him out of your sights" is doing a lot of work there.

If you say something that if taken literally is a direction to falsely imprison someone, not sure if hyperbole is a viable defense. I would think that is an issue that has come up before for all sorts of conspiracy type claims and been subject to some court opinions.

I do suspect that the number of business people charged after telling somebody they are going to beat their *** if they don't pay has got to be less than .1% of the people that are guilty of doing that.

ETA: I am giving some credit to some of the codefendents. You'd think a lawyer that actually wanted to conspire to falsely imprison somebody would have been extra careful about what they put in writing and that if he said something that looks like he's advocating for false imprisonment, it would be more likely to be bluster than literal directions. But people certainly do stupid things, especially when they're mad.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You'd think a lawyer that actually wanted to conspire to falsely imprison somebody would have been extra careful about what they put in writing and that if he said something that looks like he's advocating for false imprisonment, it would be more likely to be bluster than literal directions. But people certainly do stupid things, especially when they're mad.
You'd think, especially from a lawyer. But I'm at a loss to explain why else they would have been arrested. And never underestimate stupidity, even from a lawyer.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You'd think, especially from a lawyer. But I'm at a loss to explain why else they would have been arrested. And never underestimate stupidity, even from a lawyer.
Agreed but there are also plenty of instances of prosecutors just latching on to something inexplicably. I don't know anything about the prosecutor so don't have any reason to think that's what's happening here, but just a weird case all around.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Agreed but there are also plenty of instances of prosecutors just latching on to something inexplicably. I don't know anything about the prosecutor so don't have any reason to think that's what's happening here, but just a weird case all around.
Yeah. Based on what we know, if I'm the police or DA, I'm letting it go. The scammer is a terrible witness, and I doubt Powe slept on the guys legs. So unless there's some actual physical injuries or some really damning texts/emails, I don't have much of a case anyway. I know "he deserved it" isn't supposed to play into it, but I'd have a hard time prosecuting based only on what we know.

Tomas Smid

May 4, 2010
A first year law school student could successfully defend this case.

Based on the above facts, it will be difficult to get a true bill from the grand jury and probably even more difficult to find Mathis in the event this matter ever does go to trial.

Assuming all that happens, however, seating a jury to unanimously find Powe guilty is all but impossible and a total waste of taxpayers’ resources.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
As a business man my father always told me "The Law doesn't have to make sense and it doesn't have to be fair". After being involved in some civil legal maters he was spot on. Something I learned is it doesn't matter who is wrong or right, it matters on who is willing to loose the most money in legal fees.

Who knows where this is heading. I can see the police are just doing their job to round up everything for the DA. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out when it goes before a judge.

Reactions: She Mate Me

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Wow. What an interesting article. After reading that, I hope that the district attorney declines to bring the charges before a grand jury. If he does, I hope they choose not to indict. Sounds like this con artist never received a good old country *** whooping.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Wow. What an interesting article. After reading that, I hope that the district attorney declines to bring the charges before a grand jury. If he does, I hope they choose not to indict. Sounds like this con artist never received a good old country *** whooping.
I got the impression from reading that article that I was only getting one side of the story.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I got the impression from reading that article that I was only getting one side of the story.
May be, but I still have some connections in that area and I’ve yet to find anyone who is rushing to Mathis’s defense. It’s the same thing from everybody, that guy is a total crook that’s been conning people for years and they have no sympathy for him. And most are very skeptical about how the Madison PD handled this.

Reactions: Tomas Smid
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login