Mississippi Today article on the Powe ....

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
A first year law school student could successfully defend this case.

Based on the above facts, it will be difficult to get a true bill from the grand jury and probably even more difficult to find Mathis in the event this matter ever does go to trial.

Assuming all that happens, however, seating a jury to unanimously find Powe guilty is all but impossible and a total waste of taxpayers’ resources.
It will be extremely easy to get an indictment out of a grand jury. All the prosecutor has to do is give the version of events provided by the fraudster. Even if Mississippi has an ethical rule that would require the prosecutor to present exculpatory evidence, it would be pretty easy to do so in a way that makes it seem less credible than the evidence in favor of indictment. And if the prosecutor skirts the ethical line (or hurdles over it), I'm not sure there's really a practical way for the defendant to find out about it.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
It will be extremely easy to get an indictment out of a grand jury. All the prosecutor has to do is give the version of events provided by the fraudster. Even if Mississippi has an ethical rule that would require the prosecutor to present exculpatory evidence, it would be pretty easy to do so in a way that makes it seem less credible than the evidence in favor of indictment. And if the prosecutor skirts the ethical line (or hurdles over it), I'm not sure there's really a practical way for the defendant to find out about it.
I disagree. The publicity this case has received the jurors wont be blind to the facts as they are in may cases. I don't see there being anyway they get a true bill. I am not even confident the DA would recommend a true bill in this case.

patdog

May 28, 2007
May be, but I still have some connections in that area and I’ve yet to find anyone who is rushing to Mathis’s defense. It’s the same thing from everybody, that guy is a total crook that’s been conning people for years and they have no sympathy for him. And most are very skeptical about how the Madison PD handled this.
Oh there’s no question the guy is a piece of sh**. And I’m sure he scanned them out of their money. But you still can’t kidnap him or use force for it, no matter how much he deserved it. I’m thinking there’s stuff in those texts that might change the narrative a little. If not, I definitely question how Ridgeland PD & prosecutor is handling it.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Oh there’s no question the guy is a piece of sh**. And I’m sure he scanned them out of their money. But you still can’t kidnap him or use force for it, no matter how much he deserved it. I’m thinking there’s stuff in those texts that might change the narrative a little. If not, I definitely question how Ridgeland PD & prosecutor is handling it.
This is gonna turn out where those three went to Ridgeland of their own free will, cool breeze knew the gig was up, and made up a wild story to tell the bank teller to get those investors off of his back and give him enough breathing room to skip town before it was all pieced together. Hell, Powe was sitting in the car playing on Snapchat when Ridgeland PD rolled up with guns blazing. Mathis probably told them to sit tight in the car and wait on him to get the money. Then executed his getaway plan.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
At this point in the infosphere, I don't care what the law says about kidnapping, Karma Justice should be applied, he needed a "come to Jesus" moment, and is lucky to still be above ground. Powe is said to be a "Gentle Giant", imagine this prick stealing money from Jeffrey Simmons or Fletcher Cox. A little leg fatigue would be the least of his issues.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login