Missouri high school students can now get NIL money…

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
…if they sign with an in state school.

My apologies if this was already posted at some point.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Not that giving bags of cash to 18 year old college students is good....but giving bags of cash to 16 and 17 year olds to secure an in-state recruitment seems like we are racing to show all the bad ways to further open pandoras box.

Hell, I first thought this NIL **** was so a Shaquille O'Neal could make money off his likeness, not an unknown high schooler can get direct deposit.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
“...but giving bags of cash to 16 and 17 year olds to secure an in-state recruitment seems like we are racing to show all the bad ways to further open pandoras box.”

What if I told you….
Yeah, but this is lawyers and politicians giving them money to stay in the State that begins with an M, oh wait……..

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That last part is against NCAA rules. They can’t donate to the Tiger Scholarship Fund and then write it off (at least federally). And that fund still can’t be used for NIL, no matter what a state law says.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
“...but giving bags of cash to 16 and 17 year olds to secure an in-state recruitment seems like we are racing to show all the bad ways to further open pandoras box.”

What if I told you….

Are you implying that state-sanctioned quid pro quo for high school recruits is in any way similar to the old “under the table” system where at least out-of-state schools could also match what the in-state schools were doing?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Are you implying that state-sanctioned quid pro quo for high school recruits is in any way similar to the old “under the table” system where at least out-of-state schools could also match what the in-state schools were doing?
No. But it pretty much is. Its much cheaper to do it under the table anyway.

I was laughing at anyone getting upset about paying kids “bags of cash” to secure a committment. Because that’s not new.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
No. But it pretty much is. Its much cheaper to do it under the table anyway.

I was laughing at anyone getting upset about paying kids “bags of cash” to secure a committment. Because that’s not new.

But you realize it doesn’t have to be one or the other, right? If only certain states pass this legislation, it essentially locks out any out of state schools from being competitive for players there. It’d be pretty bad for everybody else if states like Georgia, Florida, and Texas started passing similar legislation.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don’t see how the requirement that you must sign with an in-state school could stand up to a court challenge.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t see how the requirement that you must sign with an in-state school could stand up to a court challenge.

Not sure what grounds it would be challenged, considering that its a state law that is granting a right to minors, where currently no such right exists.

Also, it sure wouldn’t be a popular court challenge, since it would have to come from inside the state. Who’s going to test that boundary and say “It’s BS that other states can’t come in and raid all our players….I’m suing!”

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Sound like an illegal inducement to me.

I don’t think this so called law will stand the test of time. Mizzou sounds clueless.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not sure what grounds it would be challenged, considering that its a state law that is granting a right to minors, where currently no such right exists.

Also, it sure wouldn’t be a popular court challenge, since it would have to come from inside the state. Who’s going to test that boundary and say “It’s BS that other states can’t come in and raid all our players….I’m suing!”
Actually the right has always existed. This law just restricts it for a group of people. But I agree, I don’t know who would challenge it. By the time it was litigated, the player would be halfway through college anyway.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Actually the right has always existed. This law just restricts it for a group of people. But I agree, I don’t know who would challenge it. By the time it was litigated, the player would be halfway through college anyway.

I guess I misinterpreted something then, because the article mentions the law allows high school student athletes to profit off NIL in Missouri, but only after they sign with an in-state school. Then it mentions that Missouri now (after the new law) has some of the least restrictive NIL environments in the country. That certainly reads like it was not previously allowed for high schoolers to profit off NIL. Not sure if it was the player, the entity paying them, or both who were punished, but doesn’t seem like a “right” that was there for any HS athletes before this legislation. Just about every other state bans HS NIL payments also, that’s why Quinn Ewers graduated early and went to Ohio State for a year, so he could go ahead and get paid since it was illegal for him to get any money in Texas.

Last edited:

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009

The suit would come from the MO phenom (or his family) that thinks he could get paid more NIL from an out of state powerhouse…

Reactions: drumrcraig

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The suit would come from the MO phenom (or his family) that thinks he could get paid more NIL from an out of state powerhouse…

But this law doesn’t stop him from getting that NIL from said powerhouse. He just has to wait until he either gets there to get that money, or satisfies whatever threshold makes him eligible in Missouri, whether that’s turn 18/19/21, graduate from high school, or whatever. Its not like some kid from Springfield who bolts for Ohio State is going to be getting any in-state NIL deals anyway at that point.

Overall, this doesn’t restrict at all how much any Missouri prospect can get paid. It just lets kids signing in-state get paid sooner.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login