More California Crazy

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Wow - but only the revenue generating ones? Time to get the accountants to work and keep building bigger and better

DesertDawg

Feb 13, 2017
Question is what happens to the money for players that transfer? Leave early for the draft? Drop down to a different division? This bill would have To address so many different scenarios based on the projected career path of so many different athletes.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Why shouldn’t they get part of the money they generate? Coaches are getting millions without risking injury and some players end up crippled for life or worse.

It may turn people against the sport but then there will be no money generated. Problem solved.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

kb549

Oct 6, 2014
Question is what happens to the money for players that transfer? Leave early for the draft? Drop down to a different division? This bill would have To address so many different scenarios based on the projected career path of so many different athletes.
There will be something buried in the bill where the money will be forfeited to a fund that helps the alphabet soup in some way. It’s California. But in reality, the forfeited money will find its way in the pockets of the lawmakers and their family/donors. Kenneth Stokes lost sleep last night trying to figure out how he can get some of that Cali cash.

drumrcraig

Aug 22, 2012
Half of the revenue is a terrible idea. Revenue to me is just what money comes in, not the actual profit generated. What if expenses are already more than half of the revenue. You are asking every sport to run in the red? Who is covering the difference? I’m afraid that this bill would bankrupt the departments of many schools. Can you imagine asking Southern Miss or Delta State or any of the SWAC schools to do this? They could never cover the bills to the players.

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
Would be interesting to see how scholarship numbers (6 years) would impact NCAA limits. Considering the revenue generating sports (men‘s football/ basketball) cover the cost of most others and they can’t cut sports that proposal sounds like a poison pill for California schools. Would have to severely cut spending, recruiting, facility upgrades etc. if forced to set aside 50% of the revenue. I’d imagine the quality of the product would decline along with the revenue being generated.

Reactions: drumrcraig

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I'm so glad my teams, State and the Saints, don't partake in any sort of revenue sharing scheme and that I don't live in a country that has a sort of revenue sharing/redistribution scheme such as a progressive system of taxation.

Reactions: 8dog
Oct 14, 2021
You don’t want to own revenue bonds on DWS, VHS or almost any other stadiums if this passes nationwide. There won’t be enough left over to cover them. And you can kiss those title 9 sports goodbye except USM Women’s Volleyball.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Pay for play is being heard by the courts, so it's coming in some form anyway. Kids will be employees and that's going to change a lot.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Pay for play is being heard by the courts, so it's coming in some form anyway. Kids will be employees and that's going to change a lot.

I’ve asked this before but how does making them employees really change anything for the game itself.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Why shouldn’t they get part of the money they generate? Coaches are getting millions without risking injury and some players end up crippled for life or worse.

It may turn people against the sport but then there will be no money generated. Problem solved.
They are getting a big chunk of revenue. They are fairly compensated for minor league athletes with just scholarship, stipend, and room and board.
the money is largely generated by school loyalty, not the players.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007

They pass this and the BIG10 may be looking for 2 more teams.
Of course the California legislature has so little understanding of business that they make this a top line revenue sharing model. Taking half of the revenues would without doubt kill the smaller sports and women’s sports that football and basketball support. I’d be surprised if more than one or two California schools have an athletic department that is in the black. Take away half of football revs, and there will be none.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login