More Starkville Biz News

dstatechamps

Oct 15, 2006
Part of the problem with Target

I was shocked to see Tupelo didn’t have one

is they want you to give them everything. I work for a power company and they want all the electrical distribution supplied at no charge. Nope. Sorry folks, but copper isn't exactly cheap.

desotodawg

Sep 16, 2010
I like Aldis. They have the best prices all around, but they can be hit or miss on items. At Easter/Christmas, their hams cant be beat for price and taste. Best overall price on meats like pork steaks, and thighs/legs. Their Aldi Finds can be a good deal.

Our grocery runs tend to be multiple stores anyway.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Who knows? People go nuts about Target. It is just a fancy, overpriced WalMart with limited grocery items. I’ve never gotten the obsession.

I think it's largely just that Target doesn't have ****** stores like Walmart does. If you go into a nice walmart, it doesn't feel that much different than target. Target does a little more on finishes for the store, but it's pretty similar. But because walmart is not nearly as picky about where it puts stores, there are a lot of walmarts that are not nice and have a workforce that ranges between not present and not friendly or helpful. Going from one of those walmarts to a Target and Target feels like a completely different quality of store.

Also, not sure if this is still a thing, but girls used to be willing to get clothes from Target. Not sure if their clothes were actually better than Walmart or if it was just a perception thing.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Not all Targets are nice though. The one in Horn Lake isn’t great but it’s still better than most Walmarts.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Both Target and Wal-Mart vary by location. There's a Wal-Mart near my office that's nice and another one 4 miles away that's known as "The Wal-Mart of the Damned"

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I just don’t understand why we would want more corporations in Mississippi over local businesses

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Because running a small business without the safety net of a franchise is really hard in a poverty stricken state.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Who knows? People go nuts about Target. It is just a fancy, overpriced WalMart with limited grocery items. I’ve never gotten the obsession.

It’s generally a superior product to Wal-Mart. And if you get their store credit card, the prices are pretty much identical to Wal Mart. I like it because I can generally count on basic **** like the shelves being stocked, items not moving around haphazardly without notice, a more friendly layout, and being able to pick up a cup of coffee on the way out the door. Their home goods section for things like sheets, towels, small furniture pieces, etc. is also much higher quality than you’ll get at Wal Mart. I still prefer Wal Mart for certain things like outdoors / sporting goods, and if I have to go after hours for something.

That being said, I don’t do groceries at either place unless its a pick up order. Both suffer in terms of selection and quality vs. Kroger, Publix, etc. And it’s just too much of a hassle to walk into a giant store like that when you just need enough for a few meals.

Palos verdes

Aug 22, 2012
People. It's people. We need more people to (1) move here; and (2) stay here. That would cure it. But it's a painfully slow process obviously.

This is still an issue. Another issue is people don't come to Starkville to stay overnight on a weekend, unless it's to see a game, or something school related. That's the biggest difference between Starkville and Oxford.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I hate to say it, but there haven't been many (if any) well run local businesses that didn't deserve to close the doors. The market usually speaks for itself. Just because its "local", doesn't mean it deserves a pass.

Matter of fact, I can't only think of one. City Bagel. I left Starkville just before they shut down. My understanding was the new ownership simply wasn't up to the task and the landlord jacked up rent. That's just hearsay. Not sure.

Cappe's maybe. It wasn't Ruth Chris, but it was priced ok and the service was good enough. You could argue Flo's too. But I think there was a friction fire on that deal.

Median HOUSEHOLD income for Oktibbeha County was only $39k according to the last census. It's a really tough place to succeed without the power of a franchise at your back.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/oktibbehacountymississippi

Last edited by a moderator:

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I just have never understood why a national brand like Target validates a city as a better place to live

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
City Bagel was bought by the Restaurant Tyler folks and they decided to replace it with Humble Taco. They also own that building I’m fairly certain.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
This has changed for the better of late

This is still an issue. Another issue is people don't come to Starkville to stay overnight on a weekend, unless it's to see a game, or something school related. That's the biggest difference between Starkville and Oxford.

Off weekends are seeing more and more traffic as more Gameday units and restaurants open. Still not Oxford level, but has changed of late

Hail State

Dec 27, 2009
Buc-ee's, Top Golf or Cheesecake Factory?

Stopped in at Buccee’s Saturday in South AL coming home and caught the beach traffic there. I’m not exaggerating when I say it was the most crowded place I’ve ever been in my life. ATL’s airport isn’t as bad, that’s saying something. Imagine Time Square foot traffic in a Wal Mart. The women’s restroom line was maybe 125 yards long stretching outside. It kind of made me sad, like a sign of decline in some way.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
People. The roads and distribution are mostly fine. Publix just added a DC in Alabama, so that's not the excuse. It's people. We need more people to (1) move here; and (2) stay here. That would cure it. But it's a painfully slow process obviously.
We have to develop that truly 'attractive' area. Like a NW Arkansas, a North AL, etc. Either that or just a bigger metro area, and of course Memphis and Jackson are the only real candidates for that.

The Coast is cool and has a lot of jobs, but there is the hurricane threat. Hattiesburg/Laurel is alright too. That basically leaves NE MS, and the Oxford - Tupelo - GTR is just too spread out. So it basically boils down to the GTR in my opinion. Joe Max is the hope.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I just don’t understand why we would want more corporations in Mississippi over local businesses

You need some purchasing power to have a good general store like a target or walmart. If you aren't going to be big, you have to be niche and generally expensive.

For restaurants, I'd personally prefer more local places and fewer franchises, but obviously I'm in the minority as far as what people will support with their wallets. And I can't blame them. I have eaten at Longhorns a couple of times with people from work. It was pretty solid food for the price.

Plus, I'd much rather open a franchise restaurant than start a restaurant from scratch (unless I was planning on developing it as a franchise). As far as I can tell, the local places seem to be labor of love for the owners. I see franchise owners working reasonable hours and living anywhere from upper middle class to rich life styles depending on the type and number. The owners of better local restaurants appear to be married to their restaurant. They may be killing it for all I know, but they don't appear to have the opportunity to spend it.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Which is why we should always do our best to support local business
I just have never understood why a national brand like Target validates a city as a better place to live
These are 3 different points you're trying to make here, each moving the goalposts. I agree with the other poster about local businesses - I prefer them, but more often than not, they aren't good, and chains/corporations become big for a reason - because they were successful and have a good business model. There is no real distinction to be made here, we need ALL businesses. We need local businesses to succeed and then actually stay here, and all too often our homegrown people sell out or move (McRae's, Steinmart, Backyard Burger, etc.). So we take what we can get.

Simply stumping for 'local' while not looking at the long game is actually anti-growth. That thinking generally comes from people who have businesses and don't want the competition (which is understandable), but it's not best for the general community. I mean there were local liquor stores all over the place in MS who are fighting the laws about liquor being sold in grocery stores, claiming that it's not best for the consumer. Who are they truly looking out for there?

Don't get me wrong, we SHOULD support local - if it's good.

Last edited:

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008

It doesn’t. I’ve lived in 6 different towns in the last 15 years, and zero times did I care if a Target was nearby when I was looking for somewhere to live.

I currently live 10 minutes from a Target and have maybe been there twice in the last 5 years only because my wife wanted to stop.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
These things are no longer problems……the real problem is that they weren’t done 20 years ago. I think you agree with that based on your last paragraph, but there are 4 lane roads coming into the GTR from all directions. 82 in Alabama will also be completed soon. It’s MUCH easier to get to Huntsville than it used to be 20 years ago too.

The state has never been more business friendly than it is right now, so there’s not much more we can really do. Its now a matter of winning projects and getting/keeping people here.

Most people won’t admit this, but having a viable Jackson (metro) is another big key to these things. This ‘capitol district’ is something else that needed to be done in 2002 rather than 2022.

This is basically it. 20 years ago, economic development was still largely about resources, infrastructure, and incentives. Now workforce and the ability to attract workforce is the primary factor. We were dicking around with corruption and protecting good ole boys when we had more ability to compete. Now that we are serious about competing, we are way behind in being able to offer local talent or in offering the type of amenities that site selectors think their prospective employees will demand.

Palos verdes

Aug 22, 2012
Target is just another big box store to me. The one near me used to have a pretty good popcorn machine.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
That is the worst designed interchange I've ever seen. My daughter made the mistake of stopping there last summer and was trapped in line trying to get out of the parking lot for nearly 3 hours. They need to do something. I would not turn in that at all unless it was desperation OR so off season that there was nobody on the road.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login