Most and Least Polarizing MSU Athletes

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
The Tolu thread got me thinking. Who are the most beloved MSU athletes that pretty much any State fan remembers positively and which players will automatically start a fierce debate if they are even mentioned. Players that you either loved or hated. I'll start with a few.

Universally Beloved
Dak
Anthony Dixon
Fred Smoot
Palmeiro
Will Clark

Most Polarizing
Will Rogers
Nick Fitzgerald
Kylin Hill
Aric Holman
Lamar Peters
Renardo Sydney
Wes Rea

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Fitz?
Is he controversial?

I talked to Aric for a little while during the Women’s Final Four weekend in Dallas in 2017. He was dating Ketara Chapel at the time. I was surprised nobody seemed to know who he was, which is kind of funny in retrospect, but the men’s team was kind of an afterthought by that point in that season. We had some empty spots at our table at the hotel restaurant, so I offered them to him and some kids he had with him. They sat down and we talked for a little bit before Ketara’s mom came over and got them. He seemed like a good kid.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
If by controversial you mean someone on whom the fanbase's opinion was divided sharply, I'd nominate Tyler Russell. He's not really a controversial person but there was a lot of gnashing of teeth about his talents versus the system Mullen was trying run.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
He wasn't exactly controversial (in fact, he was very likeable the few interactions I had around campus), but The Big Feces Marcus Campbell was the most frustrating athlete ever.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think Fitz might be the most controversial athlete in MSU history. He was the ultimate "you either love him or hate him"
Bro you have to define controversial. To me, it's that they are causing some type of bad controversy. Up and down play isn't controversy. Fitz and Wes Rea were NOT controversial. Kylin Hill was.

Maybe it should be 3 categories: Loved, Split, Hated.

Reactions: Dawgg and mcdawg22

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don't know what category you would put him in, but we have to put Sydney in there somewhere

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Bro you have to define controversial. To me, it's that they are causing some type of bad controversy. Up and down play isn't controversy. Fitz and Wes Rea were NOT controversial. Kylin Hill was.

Maybe it should be 3 categories: Loved, Split, Hated.
I defined it in the OP. Controversial = players that were either loved or hated. Feel like that's pretty straightforward.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Fitz is the most under appreciated football player we've ever had - and surely at QB. If I could have nothing but a Fitz suit up for us from here on out, I'd take that deal. Guy was a playmaker, intense, hated some OM, and bleeds MSU.

His only real negative was he was the guy that followed Dak. Which for some reason, our dumbass fans interpreted into some kind of negative.

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
Back in the day we had an outfielder from Kentucky who flipped our own fans off. It would have been a much bigger deal now but I’m pretty sure Gene had his skuttlebutt up and running. It wasn’t completely lost on folks. I think he made his peace and is in good standing. I heard an interview with him in the last few years and he seems to root us on.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
The Tolu thread got me thinking. Who are the most beloved MSU athletes that pretty much any State fan remembers positively and which players will automatically start a fierce debate if they are even mentioned. Players that you either loved or hated. I'll start with a few.

Universally Beloved
Dak
Anthony Dixon
Fred Smoot
Palmeiro
Will Clark

Most Polarizing
Will Rogers
Nick Fitzgerald
Kylin Hill
Aric Holman
Lamar Peters
Renardo Sydney
Wes Rea
Add Timmy Bowers and Winsome Frazier to the list at the top.

Gary Ervin to the second list.

Removed Nick and Wes from the bottom list. You never doubted that they were 100% Dawgs.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Big Feces gets me mad just seeing that name.

He'd go for 25 and 12 against Kentucky and then foul out with 2 points against a bottom feeder.

Super D is my favorite Bulldog ever. I doubt you can find anyone that disliked him. Fun fact: He dropped 62 on yours truly's team in high school.

Reactions: dorndawg
Aug 20, 2006

Universally Beloved
Dak
Anthony Dixon
Fred Smoot
Palmeiro
Will Clark

Most Polarizing
Will Rogers
Nick Fitzgerald
Kylin Hill
Aric Holman
Lamar Peters
Renardo Sydney
Wes Rea
I loved Nick Fitz

atomic dawg

Apr 4, 2019
I spent a lot of time defending Jamont Gordon, so I suspect he belongs on that second list.
Gordon was one of the first names I thought of when I saw this list. Very much a love him or hate him player. He was the guy that could be clutch or cost you a game on several occasions.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Fitz was what he was. He was a heck of a player in Mullen's system.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
First list add John Bond, Mardye McDole, Eric Moulds, Chad Bumphis, Jameon Lewis, Johnie Cooks, Fred Smoot, Josh Morgan, Nikoe Whitley, Chris Jones, Johnthan Banks & Kent Hull.

ETA Keffer McGee, Michael Haddix, KJ Wright, Daniel Boyd, Chris White, Emmanuel Forbes, Jett Johnson, Jeff Brantley, Bobby Thigpen, Michael Davis, JJ Johnson, Dicenzo Miller, & Vick Ballard.

Last edited:

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

Universally Beloved
Dak
Anthony Dixon
Fred Smoot
Palmeiro
Will Clark

Most Polarizing
Will Rogers
Nick Fitzgerald
Kylin Hill
Aric Holman
Lamar Peters