Most and Least Polarizing MSU Athletes

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Can't believe I've lost his name, but the QB before Dak, very highly recruited, didn't really fit Dan's scheme (dropback guy with a huge arm, lead feet), I think Dak took his spot when he got hurt. He might have even transferred. There was a lot of mixed feelings about him.

Jeez - Tyler Russell. Sorry Tyler

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
The Tolu thread got me thinking. Who are the most beloved MSU athletes that pretty much any State fan remembers positively and which players will automatically start a fierce debate if they are even mentioned. Players that you either loved or hated. I'll start with a few.

Universally Beloved
Dak
Anthony Dixon
Fred Smoot
Palmeiro
Will Clark

Most Polarizing
Will Rogers
Nick Fitzgerald
Kylin Hill
Aric Holman
Lamar Peters
Renardo Sydney
Wes Rea
I think Brad Corley wins the most hated Msstate athlete by state fans. And it’s not close. I don’t know if he was polarizing because everyone hated him. Flicking out the fans in right field probably means there is no debate. And, he was just as big of a douchebag on a personal level too.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Fitz is the most under appreciated football player we've ever had - and surely at QB. If I could have nothing but a Fitz suit up for us from here on out, I'd take that deal. Guy was a playmaker, intense, hated some OM, and bleeds MSU.

His only real negative was he was the guy that followed Dak. Which for some reason, our dumbass fans interpreted into some kind of negative.

Idk man when he threw the 5th pick at the red stick I was wondering why he ever passed at all.

Ask a team mate about him.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
I feel like Wyatt & Madkin were collectively polarizing at the time because everyone had opinions about which one should play more. Both are beloved bulldogs though, so not sure if they count.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The frustration and borderline hate for Aric Holman was bonkers. It was real and it was voiced over and over on here.

The guy was our most effective 3pt shooter, but dummies would lose their poop over him not setting up on the block and banging down low.
It was wild to see how many here couldn't possibly accept that a player didn't play how they wanted him to play.
It'd be just as stupid to constantly complain that Tolu doesn't lead more fast breaks or that Hubbard doesn't set up on the block all the time.

Since Holman was tall, surely he had to stand in the paint with his back to the basket.
And since he didn't do that, he was controversial. It's funny, really.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
The frustration and borderline hate for Aric Holman was bonkers. It was real and it was voiced over and over on here.

The guy was our most effective 3pt shooter, but dummies would lose their poop over him not setting up on the block and banging down low.
It was wild to see how many here couldn't possibly accept that a player didn't play how they wanted him to play.
It'd be just as stupid to constantly complain that Tolu doesn't lead more fast breaks or that Hubbard doesn't set up on the block all the time.

Since Holman was tall, surely he had to stand in the paint with his back to the basket.
Same thing with Barry Stewart. Guy played his *** off for us and he got all kinds of **** on this board.

Reactions: knock him out john

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Same thing with Barry Stewart. Guy played his *** off for us and he got all kinds of **** on this board.
Oh yeah he did.
He would frustrate me sometimes later in his career when he started driving to the rim more often since he wasn't effective and it wasn't close, but I also recognize he was doing that out of necessity- someone had to do it in order to collapse the defense, free up shooters, etc.

But yeah, he definitely put everything he had into his play.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I don’t know if I would even call Sidney polarizing. Every State fan I know who remembers that era hates that guy and most blame him for the downfall on the program (probably falls more on Stans but Sidney was part of it).
What made it worse was Stansbury asking Varnado, a 17ing workhorse that deserves to be on the top list, to give up his scholarship (or at least that's what I remember).

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Most beloved could go on and on. I’ll just stick with polarizing.

Jamont Gordon
Will Rogers
Brad Corley
Tyler Russell
Chris Relf
Dontae Walker
Michael Ignerski
Robert Jackson (clap clap…..clapclap)

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Fitz was the Will Rogers of 2016-2019 era. We had a LOT of fans who did nothing but point out what he didn't do, instead of what he actually did.
In a way that's true, but I think that was the Moorhead season more than anything else.
In his first Mullen season (2016), he was 'Not Dak', but I don't remember him being blamed for the team's problems as much as Peter Sirmon. His second Mullen season we were 9-4 and one missed play and a (purposeful) broken ankle away from being 11-2.

The Moorhead season was the big problem and while I think people recognized Fitz's limitations, I don't know that people blamed Fitz as much as Moorhead for not adapting his playbook to Fitz's capabilities.

I do think if Mullen stuck around for Fitz's senior year, he'd be remembered a lot more glowingly.

Reactions: bolddogge

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I'd put Rickea Jackson in the controversial category.

The highest rated player to ever come in as a freshman to Mississippi State basketball and came in during a coaching change. Always seemed put off by the fans, never appeared to be listening to her coaches, and had an overall air of disinterest in the whole thing. Her stats (outside her 3pt pct) were stellar and I think if Vic had stayed, she could have been one of the best players to ever come out of the program, but alas, we'll never know.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The Tolu thread got me thinking. Who are the most beloved MSU athletes that pretty much any State fan remembers positively and which players will automatically start a fierce debate if they are even mentioned. Players that you either loved or hated. I'll start with a few.

Universally Beloved
Dak
Anthony Dixon
Fred Smoot
Palmeiro
Will Clark

Most Polarizing
Will Rogers
Nick Fitzgerald
Kylin Hill
Aric Holman
Lamar Peters
Renardo Sydney
Wes Rea
Micheal Heing is hated by many of MB fans, right?

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010

Universally Beloved
Dak
Anthony Dixon
Fred Smoot
Palmeiro
Will Clark

Most Polarizing
Will Rogers
Nick Fitzgerald
Kylin Hill
Aric Holman
Lamar Peters
Renardo Sydney
Wes Rea
Any beloved list gotta have Bailey Howell, Jackie Parker, and D.D. Lewis on it.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Victoria Vivians
Morgan William
Tierra McKowan
Blair Schaefer

I don't really like basketball, never watched a womens game until these ladies put us on the map, and they were great to watch... and heck , one was homecoming queen!

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Where does Dee Bost fall? Started every game of a 4 year career, had to play through the sidney bs. But a lot of people disliked him after the draft debacle.

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
Had Mullen stayed for 2018 Fitz would have likely surpassed Dak on the MSU Mt. Rushmore

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
I remember Charles Rhodes being very polarizing at times. Then he kissed the State logo and all was forgiven.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016

He didn’t defend or rebound, that’s why people weren’t fond of him. He was good to great on the offensive end, but he had to guard the other team’s 4…required a lot of banging back in those days. We needed him to be able to rebound on the defensive end with that length. Unfortunately, he refused to do it and it wasn’t a lack of abulityFor his career, he averaged 5.5 boards a game. About 2 of those were offensive boards. Guy liked to score. He’s 6’10”.

For comparison just this year. Tolu averaging 8.1, Cam 7.2, Bell 6.5, D.J. 5.5 boards a game.

Spoon played a lot with Holman. He averaged 5.2 boards over his career.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
In a way that's true, but I think that was the Moorhead season more than anything else.
In his first Mullen season (2016), he was 'Not Dak', but I don't remember him being blamed for the team's problems as much as Peter Sirmon. His second Mullen season we were 9-4 and one missed play and a (purposeful) broken ankle away from being 11-2.

The Moorhead season was the big problem and while I think people recognized Fitz's limitations, I don't know that people blamed Fitz as much as Moorhead for not adapting his playbook to Fitz's capabilities.

I do think if Mullen stuck around for Fitz's senior year, he'd be remembered a lot more glowingly.
I think Fitz is remembered pretty glowingly now, but at the time, he caught flak for what he was not and took lots of blame from people who thought he was limiting Moorhead's offense rather than the other way around. I never really blamed him, but I certainly ignorantly thought he was having trouble implementing Moorhead's offense and pulling the ball and running too much, not realizing that he was mainly the one salvaging it.

I think there were rumors in 2016 and 2017 also about him not being a great influence in the lockerroom and partying too hard, but there were also people that claimed Dak partied too hard in 2015, so not sure how much any of that was believed by the average fan.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Victoria Vivians
Morgan William
Tierra McKowan
Blair Schaefer

I don't really like basketball, never watched a womens game until these ladies put us on the map, and they were great to watch... and heck , one was homecoming queen!
Good call. I'd also add Dominique Dillingham. Always played her *** off as hard as she could go and was a demon on defense!

Reactions: Dawgg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I remember Charles Rhodes being very polarizing at times. Then he kissed the State logo and all was forgiven.
Rhodes started off immature (but not abnormally so) and had normal college kid issues early on that delayed him reaching his potential and maybe made it look like he had an attitude problem at times. But I remember him not just not having an attitude by his last season, but being a guy that hustled pretty much every game and was a good influence on teammates. Be interesting to see how much time elapsing has changed that judgment though. I remember him making that transition for his last two years, but wouldn't be shocked to find out that it wasn't until his last year or even sometime during his last year.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
He didn’t defend or rebound, that’s why people weren’t fond of him. He was good to great on the offensive end, but he had to guard the other team’s 4…required a lot of banging back in those days. We needed him to be able to rebound on the defensive end with that length. Unfortunately, he refused to do it and it wasn’t a lack of abulityFor his career, he averaged 5.5 boards a game. About 2 of those were offensive boards. Guy liked to score. He’s 6’10”.

For comparison just this year. Tolu averaging 8.1, Cam 7.2, Bell 6.5, D.J. 5.5 boards a game.

Spoon played a lot with Holman. He averaged 5.2 boards over his career.
Holman rebounds per 40min- 10.5 for his 4 year career.
Tolu rebounds per 40min- 11.2 for his 4 years at MSU.

We are talking about a difference of 0.7 rebounds per 40min of play.
See that's one way you seem to really miss the mark with some of this discussion- you don't normalize stars when you should, you cite high level season stats at a per game level, and now you also are doing the very thing I pointed out with Holman- you are knocking him for not being the player you wanted him to be, which is quite arbitrary since each of us may want something different.

'He needed to get more rebounds!'
Just because someone is 6'10 doesn't mean they need to play a certain way or fill a certain role.

On a related note, Holman played with Ado, who actually was a low post big man. Ado averaged 9.2 rebounds per40.
And Holman was on the team for Gavin Ware's last season. He was also very much a bang down low player in body and skill set. Ware averaged 10.7 rebounds per40.

Figure some more context may help you as you continue along your journey of enlightenment(reasonableness).

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Holman rebounds per 40min- 10.5 for his 4 year career.
Tolu rebounds per 40min- 11.2 for his 4 years at MSU.

We are talking about a difference of 0.7 rebounds per 40min of play.
See that's one way you seem to really miss the mark with some of this discussion- you don't normalize stars when you should, you cite high level season stats at a per game level, and now you also are doing the very thing I pointed out with Holman- you are knocking him for not being the player you wanted him to be, which is quite arbitrary since each of us may want something different.

'He needed to get more rebounds!'
Just because someone is 6'10 doesn't mean they need to play a certain way or fill a certain role.

On a related note, Holman played with Ado, who actually was a low post big man. Ado averaged 9.2 rebounds per40.
And Holman was on the team for Gavin Ware's last season. He was also very much a bang down low player in body and skill set. Ware averaged 10.7 rebounds per40.

Figure some more context may help you as you continue along your journey of enlightenment(reasonableness).
Jesus dude! We needed him to rebound! That’s literally the reason why he didn’t play much his senior year!

To add, that’s also why he is not in the NBA. Couldn’t defend or rebound.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Only played 2 seasons but Brian Price I thought was universally loved. Every rebond on his side of the court belonged to him.

Reactions: stateu1

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Jesus dude! We needed him to rebound! That’s literally the reason why he didn’t play much his senior year!

To add, that’s also why he is not in the NBA. Couldn’t defend or rebound.
- Didn't play much as a senior? His mpg was highest his senior year. Not much over his Jr year, but still- it's not like he was barely used. He averaged the 5th highest mpg on the team that season.

- You continue to not recognize that you are doing the very thing I pointed out when Holman was around. People would bitchnmoan that he wasn't doing whatever it was that they felt he should do, as if a player can just magically do that different thing.
When an off guard has to take over for a distributing pg, it's usually pretty rough for a reason- thst player is doing something he doesn't usually do and doesn't naturally excel at. You and others are all angry over that here with Holman not banging down low more.

- Holman's per40 rebounding average is 0.7 worse than Tolu. That's it. Tolu is viewed as a strong rebounder and Holman's per40 is just 0.7 less than Tolu. You complain he doesn't rebound enough even though that wasn't his game, and he rebounds nearly as well as a strong rebounder over 40min and you still aren't happy.

- His reasons for not sticking in the NBA are meaningless here and there is no reason for you to bring it up. The ability and accomplishments between college and the NBA aren't directly connected. <--- this has been proven out for decades now.

Keep trying...or don't.

prdubya

Nov 29, 2017
If you don’t love Nicky Fitz, you probably don’t need to be a State fan.

Guy gave it his all and without the 17ers up north deliberately targeting his legs in ‘17, he would have never lost to them… and not just never lost, he DEMOLISHED them every time.

Sure, he wasn’t a phenomenal passer, but he ran his heart out for us. Will always remember his late run against tamu in ‘18 and Neil’s “WAVE GOODBYE TO THE AGGIES!!!” radio call.

Nicky Fitz will always have a cold one on my tab.

Blldawg87

May 24, 2013
From my days in school..and kinda surprised these haven't been mentioned, the top two for sure.

One the good side.

Jarvis Varnado
Mitch Moreland
Ed Easley

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login