MSU getting bad pub on Today show

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
from "racial epitaphs" from basketball atendee during desegragation era.

I'm sure that never happened anywhere else.

F-u liberal jackasses

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
from "racial epitaphs" from basketball atendee during desegragation era.

I'm sure that never happened anywhere else.

F-u liberal jackasses

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
long enough to break that nugget? Something racial happend in MS during segregation?

Aug 30, 2006
Why in the hell are they talking about something that happened basically 40 years ago? Why is that a story? Did they mention that our 63 team snuck out of the state against the Guvnah's orders to play in the tourney against black players?</p>

I'm not watching the show, but for the life of me I can't figure out why this is a story.</p>

ShaNaNa

Feb 28, 2008
The fact that we are are singled out on national television is absurded. I am sure that there were not any other racial commenets thrown at the first black player in the SEC except from those hicks in Starkville give me a break.

Of course they could be thinking of Ole Miss you know how ESPN likes to confuse the two schools.

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
than what I stated in the OP.

'Twas about Earl "The Pearl" Monroe and his trip to MSU/Starkville and how "tiny" they gym was and how you could hear "every word" It just went on and on.....

I'm sure we'll hear more articles regarding these types of situations leading up to the first Tuesday in November.

TnDawg76

Feb 17, 2008
but in 66 we still have the most racist fans in the entire SEC? Sounds like Mississippi State just sounded like a good racial target. I don't know wasn't alive then. I don't know why they couldn't have mentioned that companion piece to the story instead of insisting on making the state of MS look bad yet again.

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
seriously, racism will not end until we stop placing an emphasis on race. Take the box for race off all forms, public and private.

Buffard Tannen

Mar 8, 2008
I bet that guy and adolph rupp could share some stories about getting heckled in the mccarthy gym. This documentary confuses me, is it about a college basketball team who carried heads on sticks and practiced voodoo?

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
Actually, it's a little different.</p>

Read this.</p>

http://www.jstor.org/view/00224642/di982426/98p0961t/0?frame=frame&[email protected]/01c0a848740050a3d21&dpi=3&config=jstor</p>

Key notes:</p>

no athletic team
confronted the law as many times as Mississippi State University's
(MSU) basketball team-in fact, the unwritten law was first implemented
after MSU competed in a racially mixed basketball game in
December 1956.</p>

Barnett initially against it and for the unwritten law</p>

but in 1963, he left it up to the board to decide if we could go to the tournament after Colvard voted for participation.</p>

"Go STATE!" was a petition cheer, statewide, from those that wanted us to go.</p>

The board voted for us to participate in the tournament.</p>

It was a couple of senators that issued a temporary injuction that would prevent us from leaving to participate.</p>

We got word of it, setup decoys, Coach and AD leave before they could be served papers.</p>

Freshmen team sent to airport as decoys.</p>

Starters and backups in hiding snuck to the airport and left later.</p>

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
The media love talking about race and playing the race card. Most Americans could care less about skin color. But, the media knows that when they bring up race and make it an issue it gets people going, it brings in viewers. It's a cheap tactic that needs to stop.

lawdawg02

Jan 23, 2007
they mention that earl monroe didn't get picked first in the draft because "he went to a small all-black school". i'm sure that is the only reason why jimmy walker, a black guy who averaged 30 per game without a 3 point line, was picked first. walker was also Mr. Irrelevant in the nfl draft that year, even though he never played a down of college football.

i hate when parts of stories are told to push agendas. this guy actually did it twice, counting the story about starkville.

MrHooch

Feb 25, 2008
you know what 'taps' my *** about the supposed racism problem in the south, is that it's NOT confined to the south.

Up north, like Chicago (where my dad grew up) and NY, there's way more specific racism...depending on who you talk to up there you are going to run into people who hate Italians, Irish, Polish, etc. But you never hear about that ****...

SWFLDawg

Feb 27, 2008
Do you not think the soon to be or never to be made for television movie, "Life of Sylvester Croom" will not include scenes of him and his black teammates getting screamed at and spit on by SEC fans?

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
For one thing there is our 1963 basketball team that was basically forced to sneak out of the state to play in the NCAAs against black players. Then our first black student was enrolled and attended with very little fanfare. He went on to become a brilliant doctor and is currently back on campus giving back to MSU. You won't hear these things from the national media. We are in MS so obviously we are racist. Why let a few contradictory facts get in your way, national media?

SWFLDawg

Feb 27, 2008
I don't think there is an agenda here, at least not against Mississippi or MSU in particular. The guy has got to interview the first black player in the SEC and ask him to recall a particular incident when he was heckled. I have to imagine McCarthy Gym was a pretty intimidating place to play especially when you take into account all the other things going on in the state at that time. I would not be surprised if at some point he feared for his life while in Starkville.

I love to tell the story of the 63 MSU team and would love for more people to know the story. But I would guess this documentary is about what the black players did to break the color barrier, not what white universities did.

TR.sixpack

Feb 14, 2008
nasty things during segregation in the south while playing an all-white university? I had no idea.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I saw the excerpt from your Race and College Basketball segment today and I was saddened to see yet again Mississippi State University being put in a bad light. I don't deny we had problems during the civil rights era, but if you are going to tell that story, you need to give equal time to another story about Mississippi State Basketball. There are always two sides to every story if you will take the time to look. http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/media_a...06/january/20060106_defining_moments_rls.html http://onenightinmarch.com/ I hope you will take the time to look at this other story about Mississippi State University and it's basketball history. Thank you,

ArrowDawg

Oct 10, 2006
....winning here and felt the need to remind everyone what a racist state it is. This, of course, is to preserve their ability to continue placing all racial probelems on the south so as to cover up the real truth, which is that northern states are probably more racist than southern states now.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
I think it's safe to say they are. I think Indiana has more Ku Klux Klan members than any state right now, and I don't remember reading about anyone from the Hoosier state helping us out during the Civil War.

Also, that's why Croom saying "Maroon is all that matters." is a big deal for us. I hate to bring that angle into it, but a lot of people up north are just waiting on us to burn a cross in Croom's front yard and hang a noose in a tree in his yard. It's also why Croom is good for MSU and the state of Mississippi.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login