MSU ranked #4 University for free speech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Remember that guy that used to show up a couple times a semester preaching back in the early 90s? Man saw my soul when he started talking about fornication and masturbation.
View attachment 25261

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Before I looked at the list I had a feeling it would weigh heavily towards land grant institutions. Common sense is our strength.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I am very proud of my alma mater for ranking #4 in this list. But a few comments about it.

First of all it is a little distressing that only 6 of 203 universities on this list scored 'good' for free speech because a university should be the very bastions of free speech. Second I noticed that among SEC schools we were the only 'good' ranked, and a similar number were 'above average' and 'average' with two slightly below average being USC, and Vandy with Mizzou bringing up the rear at below average.

I also noted that the so called elite universities such as Ivy league, stanford, etc generally ranked as 'poor' which is abysmal. For what it's worth there is also a clear correlation between ratio of conservative to liberal students with those being more liberal also ranking more poorly for free speech. Just an observation no commentary on that.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I am very proud of my alma mater for ranking #4 in this list. But a few comments about it.

First of all it is a little distressing that only 6 of 203 universities on this list scored 'good' for free speech because a university should be the very bastions of free speech. Second I noticed that among SEC schools we were the only 'good' ranked, and a similar number were 'above average' and 'average' with two slightly below average being USC, and Vandy with Mizzou bringing up the rear at below average.

I also noted that the so called elite universities such as Ivy league, stanford, etc generally ranked as 'poor' which is abysmal. For what it's worth there is also a clear correlation between ratio of conservative to liberal students with those being more liberal also ranking more poorly for free speech. Just an observation no commentary on that.

Most universities are bastions of free speech provided that it's speech that they agree with.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I understand this is disappointing to you.
No, it just doesn't jibe with things I have heard from Conservative students. By the way, I'm not the one trying to silence people who disagree with me or I don't like here.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Bear in mind that the ratings here don't cover students as much-- which means it's not so much that conservative students are the focus as it is paternalistic college & university administrations.

Scroll down to the bottom of that Fire page and you'll see a list of Warning Schools-- most of which would be Usual Suspects when it comes to speech restrictions (Hillsdale, Pepperdine, BYU, and Baylor) as well as St. Louis U.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Bear in mind that the ratings here don't cover students as much-- which means it's not so much that conservative students are the focus as it is paternalistic college & university administrations.

Scroll down to the bottom of that Fire page and you'll see a list of Warning Schools-- most of which would be Usual Suspects when it comes to speech restrictions (Hillsdale, Pepperdine, BYU, and Baylor) as well as St. Louis U.
Ah, so it's a faculty thing then? I do know that at least some conservative students feel the need to self-censor in many classes.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Students are surveyed on their perceptions but only one aspect covers students' (perceptions of) interactions with other students. (link)

Edit to add: That aspect is worth about 30 percent of the score it appears.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Seems like an evaluation of how comfortable is it to speak out. That's different from free speech, but based on what I read about multiple schools it is still quite interesting.

Last edited:

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Students are surveyed on their perceptions but only one aspect covers students' (perceptions of) interactions with other students. (link)

Edit to add: That aspect is worth about 30 percent of the score it appears.

As we all know there are 1001 ways to slice and dice a survey which some do to favor a narrative as much as they can but this looks like a decent representation.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
No, it just doesn't jibe with things I have heard from Conservative students. By the way, I'm not the one trying to silence people who disagree with me or I don't like here.

Yeah, conservative people get yelled at if they voice their opinions at or in a college university setting. Just like liberals get bombarded basically every other place in the entire state for saying what they want to say, especially at church.
I feel like people should be able to have conversations about complex political/socio-economic issues, trends, etc without getting blasted. And I am willing to bet, without 24 hour news networks getting everyone's panties in a twist, we could.

Feb 12, 2013
SEC Rankings for those who are interested:

#4 MSU
#22 Auburn
#23 Mississippi
#25 Tennessee
#40 aTm
#64 UK
#81 Bama
#89 LSU
#91 Arkansas
#104 Florida
#122 Vandy
#139 South Carolina
#143 Mizzou
#162 UGA

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Yeah, conservative people get yelled at if they voice their opinions at or in a college university setting. Just like liberals get bombarded basically every other place in the entire state for saying what they want to say, especially at church.
I feel like people should be able to have conversations about complex political/socio-economic issues, trends, etc without getting blasted. And I am willing to bet, without 24 hour news networks getting everyone's panties in a twist, we could.

Just an observation, when both sides refer to each other in the most disrespectful terms like redneck or lizard person then there is not much room for discussion there.The news profits off chaos and division, which is something I know a little about, to have each side at each others throats. First step is for each side to admit there are good ideas on both sides, that disagreement is a good thing in a constructive manner, and that at the end of conversation both are still people worthy of each others respect. Just thoughts from your friendly neighborhood devil.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Just an observation, when both sides refer to each other in the most disrespectful terms like redneck or lizard person then there is not much room for discussion there.The news profits off chaos and division, which is something I know a little about, to have each side at each others throats. First step is for each side to admit there are good ideas on both sides, that disagreement is a good thing in a constructive manner, and that at the end of conversation both are still people worthy of each others respect. Just thoughts from your friendly neighborhood devil.

I agree that civility and grace need to be shown to everyone around.
...to a point. If someone actually does subscribe to the insane lizard people conspiracy though, they deserve to be called out and mocked so that everyone else knows to not even bother trying to have a rational discussion with that person.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I agree that civility and grace need to be shown to everyone around.
...to a point. If someone actually does subscribe to the insane lizard people conspiracy though, they deserve to be called out and mocked so that everyone else knows to not even bother trying to have a rational discussion with that person.

Of course I was using that as an extreme example but it could be anything disrespectful. I understand your idea of calling people out when they are taking an extreme and easily provided wrong position, but there is a way to accomplish that goal while still treating the person with dignity. Mocking people and refusing to even engage with people that disagree with you is not the answer, no matter what their position. That is the kind of thinking that has driven the current division. A better solution might be to actually listen to that person, then try to present your ideas to them in a calm and respectful manner. The problem is that this is extremely hard to do so it is much easier to just dismiss that person rather than do the work of building a relationship so that a change has a chance to occur in their thinking. One thing I would implore you to keep mind is the person you disagree with, and no matter their beliefs, has a right to their own thoughts and opinions.

Then again what does the devil know, I am mostly likely completely wrong.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I agree with you completely. Yelling someone down does nothing but make the person yelling look small and intolerant (which they are). People need to learn basic manners again before our society implodes.

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
Yeah, conservative people get yelled at if they voice their opinions at or in a college university setting. Just like liberals get bombarded basically every other place in the entire state for saying what they want to say, especially at church

It's not even comparable in reality. Liberals and the political left in general will go out of their way to shut up conservative speech. From banning them from college campuses to shadow banning or completely deleting conservative profiles on social media, even trespassing to harass certain politicians/advocates in many instances or out in public places like restaurants or completely blocking traffic when they protest. Let's not forget the doxxing either. Liberals are dangerous when it comes to opposing views and a TRUE "threat to democracy," as they obsessively say about the right.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I recently heard a story from a friend.

Apparently in some class at state the teacher was opening up discussion and the topic was stereotypes. She asked the class to name some stereotypes that were out there so they could discuss “freely and openly”.

Of course the white people kept quiet and I’m sure most of the black people.

But apparently one black girl got the courage to tell this one. “You know how when it rains all white people smell like dogs.” And they all agreed.

I had no idea I smelt like dog when I was wet.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Basic debate is dead where both sides have respect for each other as a person, and both sides refrain from personal attacks and distasteful or "low blows" comments as debate tactics.

The other debate tactic I am sick of is answering a debate point or question with another question, while never answering the first question The harder you try to ask your original question or make your original point the louder the question/answer is thrown back at you with increasing decibels and righteous indignation.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Of course I was using that as an extreme example but it could be anything disrespectful. I understand your idea of calling people out when they are taking an extreme and easily provided wrong position, but there is a way to accomplish that goal while still treating the person with dignity. Mocking people and refusing to even engage with people that disagree with you is not the answer, no matter what their position. That is the kind of thinking that has driven the current division. A better solution might be to actually listen to that person, then try to present your ideas to them in a calm and respectful manner. The problem is that this is extremely hard to do so it is much easier to just dismiss that person rather than do the work of building a relationship so that a change has a chance to occur in their thinking. One thing I would implore you to keep mind is the person you disagree with, and no matter their beliefs, has a right to their own thoughts and opinions.

Then again what does the devil know, I am mostly likely completely wrong.

Fully agree that the crazy person should be treated with respect and dignity, even when their views are displaced from reality. I don't actually think people should be openly mocked in everyday life.

hailmari1

Aug 29, 2017

Apparently in some class at state the teacher was opening up discussion and the topic was stereotypes. She asked the class to name some stereotypes that were out there so they could discuss “freely and openly”.

But apparently one black girl got the courage to tell this one. “You know how when it rains all white people smell like dogs.” And they all agreed.

I have an Arabic friend at work and he told me this once. I was like, “hmm, holy crap we do.”

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
So you disagree?

Sorry- over the top sense of humor that goes to the absurd at times.
No I dont actually think someone should be called out and mocked in the course of daily public life. I would raise an eyebrow and cock my head in confusion then go on with my life.
My point thru joking was that some people's views are so extremely disconnected from plausible reality that they shouldnt be taken seriously.

To apply that to this topic though- I do not think paid speakers should be shouted down and kept from speaking. At the same time, I also do not think lies and misinformation should go unchecked and when it comes to social issues that impact us all, speakers at college campuses should be challenged if they are lying and misrepresenting known facts. This is especially critical since college is a time when so much of one's self is established.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Ah, so it's a faculty thing then? I do know that at least some conservative students feel the need to self-censor in many classes.

I mean, I would hope so. What kind of entitled a-hole thinks they can just say any vile thing that pops in their head and there be no negative responses from the people around them?

College is meant to promote different viewpoints, but that's not the same thing as no one reacting negatively to any out there belief, particularly if it's one that harms them. A conservative should understand and accept that gay people would respond negatively to the idea that they shouldn't be able to marry, while a liberal should understand that a business owner would respond negatively to a proposal of a large tax increase on themselves. It's not "being forced to self censor" if you learn you may need to couch your views a bit differently to avoid some minor negative responses, it's learning to be an adult.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007

This definitely happened in Carskadon's Psych 101 class when I took it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login