MTSU O Lineman transfers in

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
So what prompted this? Is dude a prospect and trying to play higher profile? He didn't have much in the way of offers out of high school.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
So what prompted this?

He read Lettuce's post and thought it was a good idea. He's banking on MSU being a G5 or FCS in 3 years and wanted to get in on the ground floor of future Sunbelt or Southland champion Mississippi State.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
He saw all these folks leaving Conference USA and he wanted to as well? **

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
We need all the lineman we can get. Hell might be a superstar with the right coaching.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
He saw Lashley starting and figured if he could start then anybody could have a legit shot here

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
One could also say that he’s a 3rd year ol at mtsu that didnt start every game for them this season.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
All I know is that he was liked by our coaches or he would not be here. He played against some D1 teams so there is some tape against decent talent.

OL can do a lot of growing from 18-22. He dropped weight between his 1st and 2nd years. I looked at his measurables and at pictures. He slimmed up some his first year in college and then he picked that weight backup the next year and some more this past year. He obviously has been working hard and has 3 years left.

He has been playing LT and is expected to be an interior guy for us. We ask our interior guys to cover more space, he is probably a nice fit for what we do.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
One could also say that he’s a 3rd year ol at mtsu that didnt start every game for them this season.

All I know is that he was liked by our coaches or he would not be here. He played against some D1 teams so there is some tape against decent talent.

OL can do a lot of growing from 18-22. He dropped weight between his 1st and 2nd years. I looked at his measurables and at pictures. He slimmed up some his first year in college and then he picked that weight backup the next year and some more this past year. He obviously has been working hard and has 3 years left.

He has been playing LT and is expected to be an interior guy for us. We ask our interior guys to cover more space, he is probably a nice fit for what we do.

Man, you can paint a pretty pessimistic picture of our OL group putting those statements together.

Maybe this is Leach spotting a gem in the rough that is going to benefit from moving to the interior and changing systems. Maybe this is our OL being in such bad shape that any experience is good for depth. Maybe this is our OL being in such bad shape that an average G5 lineman has a chance at a starting position for us.

He was a freshman all CUSA as a REdshirt freshman in 2020, so I'm hoping that he has some potential thath for whatever reasons, possibly coaching, possibly nagging injuries, that he didn't realize in 2021 as essentially a RS Sophomore.

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
It’s hard to know. MT’s OL has collectively sucked since the picked their OL coach from Memphis several years ago. That said, MT has a few OL starting in the NFL that were definitely not highly recruited.

He was better in the Tony Franklin system than the Gus Malzahn based system last year. I think he has a chance to be a decent player for us or at least provide some depth.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Man, you can paint a pretty pessimistic picture of our OL group putting those statements together.

Maybe this is Leach spotting a gem in the rough that is going to benefit from moving to the interior and changing systems. Maybe this is our OL being in such bad shape that any experience is good for depth. Maybe this is our OL being in such bad shape that an average G5 lineman has a chance at a starting position for us.

He was a freshman all CUSA as a REdshirt freshman in 2020, so I'm hoping that he has some potential thath for whatever reasons, possibly coaching, possibly nagging injuries, that he didn't realize in 2021 as essentially a RS Sophomore.

To be honest, we were not in very good shape on the OL coming into this off season.

Look at what we had done leading up to this offseason in recruiting:

2017: 1 HS OT in the whole class, a 3 star in Suggs who is still here but as a backup Guard on the two deep
2018: 2 HS OT 1 3 and 1 4 star both still here in Jones and Johnson both starters
2019: 5 total OL plus a transfer but only 3 HS -- (one was Charles Cross) Only Cole Smith a transfer still on team who has started and been solid
2020: 3 OL - Grant Jackson 3 star still on team and Reed Buy Not rated still on the team - neither cracked two deep as of last year yet - its time for one of these guys to step up
2021: 5 OL taken - two were JuCo's one has been solid and of the 3 HS, we have heard only one is expected to be ready next year. The others are progressing nicely they say but OL can be a 2-3 year plan to get them on the field.

Bottom line Leach is going to take 5 or 6 OL many years and never just take 1 or 2 several years in a row and put us in the shape we were in this off season. He values the OL and he intends to have 15 or more at various stages of development. Right now, we just are not there.

For immediate help they got the #1 JuCo OT in Percy Lewis this year so we should have our starters in good shape but we always want one more guy. This guy could help us even if he can't handle the Tackle spot.

You get the picture? We had a serious numbers problem when Leach got here due to some horrendous recruiting startegy from2017 - 2019 on the OL.

We had an issue with the DB's as well but that has been addressed too. Could we use another safety or Tackle? Yes, it would be nice.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Don’t dare take that line of thought to Genespage. I’m an idiot for not being sold on him being an all-american

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login