Mullen Interview with Freeze/Egg Bowl Discussion...

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
How? How did it get out of control?
no one died or got put into a coma so I guess you are right

just reinforces the idea that a low class state like Mississippi doesn't know any better way

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Yeah losing to Bama was bc he phoned in.

We were definitely more talented than them across the board. No reason to lose to them AT Bama.
You must not have watched the game I did. We came out flat, unprepared, scared and pissed away the whole first half. The defense was gassed at the end of the game because our offense couldn't stop shooting themselves in the foot the entire first half. POOR COACHING and Dan was better than that, but had already checked out.
We could have won that game by two touchdowns, if Dan had done his job.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
The problem with Mullen was that he single-handedly lost at least three EB's because at the end of each year, he was aggressively job-shopping and didn't pay attention to his team or the rivalry. He should be booed out of DW if he returns.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
The problem with Mullen was that he single-handedly lost at least three EB's because at the end of each year, he was aggressively job-shopping and didn't pay attention to his team or the rivalry. He should be booed out of DW if he returns.
Which 3? Just Curious.
2014 is on Collins. We had no picks. Only 4 penalties. Gained more yards 445 than we averaged all year and was more than Ole Miss gave up on average.
Defense gave up 525. We averaged 350 a game. Ole Miss averaged gaining 473 a game.
I think 2012 was a result of Freeze lighting that fire as Mullen alluded to.
2017 is a no brainer which begs the question from that interview. He said our players were in an uproar because of the players taunting Nick. Why weren’t you Dan? I guarantee 2010 Dan would have lost his **** and fired up his team if that happened.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I'm over being pissed that he left. Although I still question the timing of him leaving with what he had on the roster, I'd gladly welcome him back to Starkville if the need and his availability aligned in the future.

Reactions: drexeldog23

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I'm over being pissed that he left. Although I still question the timing of him leaving with what he had on the roster, I'd gladly welcome him back to Starkville if the need and his availability aligned in the future.
I said at the time that leaving for Florida (or Tenn) was the dumbest thing he could do, because his style wasn't going to work there.

And by his style, I mean his unwillingness to recruit and play that game to get the talent they were accustomed to getting.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
It kind of helps that Florida didn’t work out for him. He had a good thing going here but wanted to have a shot at a Natty. He failed and he left probably the most talented team he had. That and the constant job flirting was the worst thing about Mullen. Everything else was awesome. So many good memories thanks to his teams.
Perkins up the middle 3 times for no gain & punt wasn't awesome, yet it was a staple of his on-field coaching decisions. His horrible clock management cost us a few times as well. Only Les Miles comes to mind as a worse clock manager. His constant flirting with other teams & losing focus near season's end was awful & had to hurt recruiting.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You must not have watched the game I did. We came out flat, unprepared, scared and pissed away the whole first half. The defense was gassed at the end of the game because our offense couldn't stop shooting themselves in the foot the entire first half. POOR COACHING and Dan was better than that, but had already checked out.
We could have won that game by two touchdowns, if Dan had done his job.
So Dan doesn’t get credit for the defense?
Just the offense on the road in Tuscaloosa against a good defense?

seems logical and sound.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Exactly. From the day he was hired to the Florida-LSU game in 2020 his tenure was almost as good as it could have been. The same State fans that act like he failed would kill to win the Peach Bowl, Orange Bowl, and the division in three consecutive years
Yes but without a title it was always going to be a failure at Florida and everyone saw it coming. Maybe he even did.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
It didn’t help that he took the Florida job and got a break from Saban just in time for Kirby to become Saban 2.0.

But that’s not what got him fired at the time. Not being able to beat Kentucky, Mizzou, South Carolina, etc. got him fired. I do think Georgia completely surpassing Florida in every way was inevitability going to be his downfall, though.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
no one died or got put into a coma so I guess you are right

just reinforces the idea that a low class state like Mississippi doesn't know any better way
(shrugs) every rivalry has had a pregame, ingame, or postgame fight at some point.

Great rivalries have had multiple fights. Mississippi State vs Mississippi is one of the great rivalries in college football. I'm not sure what the big deal is or why it's considered more 'toxic' than any other rivalry. It's just a sign that what happens in that game matters and emotions are at a high.

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
Mullen has many legacies here and many are great, some are not so great. The toxic level that he helped take the Egg Bowl to, I think in retrospect he would back off that a little bit. Seeing our players act like a freak show circus on the field and fighting did no help for the damaged brand of the State of Mississippi.
Mullen didn’t break Fitzgerald’s leg.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
Which 3? Just Curious.
2014 is on Collins. We had no picks. Only 4 penalties. Gained more yards 445 than we averaged all year and was more than Ole Miss gave up on average.
Defense gave up 525. We averaged 350 a game. Ole Miss averaged gaining 473 a game.
I think 2012 was a result of Freeze lighting that fire as Mullen alluded to.
2017 is a no brainer which begs the question from that interview. He said our players were in an uproar because of the players taunting Nick. Why weren’t you Dan? I guarantee 2010 Dan would have lost his **** and fired up his team if that happened.
2012, 2015, 2017

Reactions: mcdawg22

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
How? How did it get out of control?
Maybe he thinks the toxicity led to Fitzgerald’s injury. If they intentionally broke a player’s leg then I would say it has gotten out of control. That ordeal wasn’t Mullen’s fault but he definitely stoked the flames.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I always felt like Mullen had no respect for Nutt and that’s part of the reason he gave them so much hell. Then they hired Freeze and he realized they had a legit coach, dialed it back some

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login