My biggest concern about Will Rogers

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
LSU has a truly athletic defense with team speed across the board. I don't think even Bama or UGA has that kind of speed among their entire defense (but they don't need to).
Ole Miss is probably the closest to LSU in that respect.
Nevertheless, Rogers had opportunities to put LSU away and didn't - the dropped passes didn't help. But, yes, the speed of LSU's defense and their ability to get to him from around the edges was the reason we lost that game. You could even say "choked."

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I figure if yo throw the ball 40 plus times a game you are going to get sacked and have interceptions. I think our o line has done a outstanding job. I thought we would have had a lot more sacks and interceptions by now.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
his stats plummet under pressure

View attachment 241827
MSU fans can sure dig negatives out of anything. For decades, we would have killed to just have a quarterback that didn't make you close your eyes in fear every time he had to pass. Since Dak we've had so much competition at QB that we have players who couldn't make the starting rotation here starting at other Power5 schools and we still complain. I don't get it. I'm enjoying the ride.

ETA: To be fair, that whole Jelly of the Month thing could turn anyone into a pessimist!***

Sep 4, 2012
MSU fans can sure dig negatives out of anything. For decades, we would have killed to just have a quarterback that didn't make you close your eyes in fear every time he had to pass. Since Dak we've had so much competition at QB that we have players who couldn't make the starting rotation here starting at other Power5 schools and we still complain. I don't get it. I'm enjoying the ride.

ETA: To be fair, that whole Jelly of the Month thing could turn anyone into a pessimist!***
Just sayin. He's easily rattled.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
LSU has a good defense and we needed to play(and coach) well for 4 quarters to beat them, we didn't do that and we lost...duh.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
We got completely out coached and we dropped a **** ton of wide open passes vs LSU. LSU overloaded one side and we gave the OL no help at all. Terrible coaching! Their defense is nothing special. AU lit it up this week with a 3rd string QB.

17 17 17 ****

Last edited:

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Texas A&M never tried to rush the QB ******

That being said, have you noticed how Will never throws a ball out of bounds to avoid the sack like some quarterbacks do? I'm assuming he is coached not to do that

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Uh, last I checked consistent pressures and sacks make just about any QB less effective.
Yea, I have the same concern, but it's not really a concern about Will as much as it's a concern about the offense. You have to be precise to make the offense work. We are always going to play two to four teams a year where they are able to get pressure consistently. Are those games going to be lost causes?

The LSU game this year and Ole Miss game last year were games where Will was just not making throws (again, not necessarily his fault, and the Ole Miss game he still probably made enough good throws if we had just caught the damn ball). Both those games were games were winnable except for that. WIth how well we recruit and develop OL, how many games like that are we going to have each year?

As far as criticism of Will, I've actually been surprised by a number of just off throws Will has made this year when he wasn't under pressure. But that's basically because he has been so accurate when he's not pressured that it's just odd to see him just miss a throw when it's not due to pressure.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
As far as criticism of Will, I've actually been surprised by a number of just off throws Will has made this year when he wasn't under pressure. But that's basically because he has been so accurate when he's not pressured that it's just odd to see him just miss a throw when it's not due to pressure.
True, the criticism is due to his being a victim of his own success. It's frustrating to see him throw behind receivers or not lead a receiver open, particularly on critical downs.
Will may have hit his ceiling. He's no Aaron Rogers, but he's good enough to win games in this offense.
He needs a strong performance against a few of the elite defenses in the league. His performance as a freshman against UGA had me woolly.
I get he lacks mobility. Hopefully, he can find another level. He is going to need it against UK and OM, definitely against Bama and UGA.

Last edited:

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
He has gotten better every year. Yes, he has a bad game once or twice a year. There is no reason to think he won't keep getting better. We should have audibled to the run when they loaded one side of the line. That is unblockable. Running straight up the middle would have stopped that dead in its tracks.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Is he? Your basing that off one game that we never win in Baton Rouge. Every fan base says it, but we really do have some odd fans, at least the small percentage of fans that frequent message boards (because this board is by no means reflective of the actual fan base).

I’m an engineer so my office is full of mostly State fans and we’ve all been pumped this week. Then I check a message board and see nothing but negatives. Go fishing or something on Saturdays instead of troubling yourself with watching our game. And for the love of God, don’t post with 7:00 left in the first quarter predicting that the season is lost like a few idiots like to do.

Good grief. My dad always told me that 90% of people are dumb. I’m beginning to understand that statement the older I get…

Sep 4, 2012
Is he? Your basing that off one game that we never win in Baton Rouge. Every fan base says it, but we really do have some odd fans, at least the small percentage of fans that frequent message boards (because this board is by no means reflective of the actual fan base).

I’m an engineer so my office is full of mostly State fans and we’ve all been pumped this week. Then I check a message board and see nothing but negatives. Go fishing or something on Saturdays instead of troubling yourself with watching our game. And for the love of God, don’t post with 7:00 left in the first quarter predicting that the season is lost like a few idiots like to do.

Good grief. My dad always told me that 90% of people are dumb. I’m beginning to understand that statement the older I get…
I freely admit that being a State fan has turned me into a cynical SOB.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Easily rattled or was that game an outlier. That is his lowest passing % in 3 seasons and Will has faced a lot of pressure in the past, particularly 2020, and still had a higher completion in all his other games. For his career he has 72.4% completion percentage.
Did Will have a bad game against LSU? Yes
Did the receivers have a bad game? yes
Did the OL and backs allow too much pressure up the middle? Yes

If the trend continues I will be concerned but right now it was a bad game

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
I freely admit that being a State fan has turned me into a cynical SOB.
Fair enough… I guess I’m lucky in that my dad was in the Army for 25-years and we didn’t move to MS until he retired in ‘85 (he and my mom grew up on the coast).

I didn’t become a State fan until I went there in ‘90. So I didn’t grow up in it. I guess I’m odd too because I think the interlocking logo is low rent ‘70s work and I don’t put much skin in the Ole Miss game like most do.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Easily rattled or was that game an outlier. That is his lowest passing % in 3 seasons and Will has faced a lot of pressure in the past, particularly 2020, and still had a higher completion in all his other games. For his career he has 72.4% completion percentage.
Did Will have a bad game against LSU? Yes
Did the receivers have a bad game? yes
Did the OL and backs allow too much pressure up the middle? Yes

If the trend continues I will be concerned but right now it was a bad game
Part of that being rattled can be attributed to 90K drunk LSU fans at Tiger Stadium. Definitely rattled him some in the second half

Last edited:
Reactions: TrapGame.sixpack

Old Fart Dawg

Sep 2, 2012
We ran 2-back offensive sets against aTm quite a bit last week. It helped in the running game, but will also be helpful in the passing game against a fast edge rusher. It didn’t show last week because aTm stayed in a 3 man front most of the day. But, if it buys Will an extra second or two in the pocket, it might make a big difference

Reactions: MStateDawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

That being said, have you noticed how Will never throws a ball out of bounds to avoid the sack like some quarterbacks do? I'm assuming he is coached not to do that
I saw him throw two away during the A&M game. I've seen him throw the ball out of bounds during games. I just think he wants to complete passes on every play if it is possible.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
We ran 2-back offensive sets against aTm quite a bit last week. It helped in the running game, but will also be helpful in the passing game against a fast edge rusher. It didn’t show last week because aTm stayed in a 3 man front most of the day. But, if it buys Will an extra second or two in the pocket, it might make a big difference
Edge rushers aren't typically the big problem for us. We get beat by twists and stunts, and our guys can't hold their blocks for longer than two or three seconds, which is why Will is screwed if he doesn't turn the ball loose. If he gets pressured from the edge, Will usually does a good job of climbing the pocket, but it's at that point that defenders can get off their blocks and get to him. He just can't hold the ball, period, against good defenses. It needs to be read 1, read 2, read 3, throw it away.

Reactions: Old Fart Dawg

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

This is incorrect. I watched him throw it out of bounds twice to avoid a loss this past Saturday

Reactions: onewoof

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Fair enough… I guess I’m lucky in that my dad was in the Army for 25-years and we didn’t move to MS until he retired in ‘85 (he and my mom grew up on the coast).

I didn’t become a State fan until I went there in ‘90. So I didn’t grow up in it. I guess I’m odd too because I think the interlocking logo is low rent ‘70s work and I don’t put much skin in the Ole Miss game like most do.
If you didn't become a fan until '90, your fandom blossomed in the glory years of the Kang and you missed ALLLL the fun of the 70's and the second half of the 80's. We old timers grew some pretty thick skin but also a pretty pessimistic outlook as a fan back then. You barely escaped it, but 2 years prior to '90 was the infamous Tech and 10 season. Good times.

rem101

Jan 22, 2008
I have a friend who has worked as a recruiting analyst all the way to director of player personnel in the SEC other P5 programs until he left to work for a recruiting service, so he pays attention to a lot of this stuff - he said on his podcast before the LSU game that Rogers has the 2nd lowest percentage of uncatchable passes in the NCAA during his career. Odd stat that I didn't even know they kept up with, but then again I don't work in that world every day.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
So your concern is actually with the o line and not Rogers, right?
The O-Line not getting the job done and Will sometimes not reacting fast enough with limited wheels at times under pressure will always frustrate STATE fans. QB's not performing well when under constant pressure is not uncommon though and Will's not the only one for sure. What Will does well though is more import IMO. The dude throws into traffic while limiting INT's about as good as any college QB because he sees the defender not knowing when or where the pass is coming and THAT is something he does REAL Fast and VERY acccurate. I've never seen a QB at STATE throw timing patterns bettern Will.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The O-Line not getting the job done and Will sometimes not reacting fast enough with limited wheels at times under pressure will always frustrate STATE fans. QB's not performing well when under constant pressure is not uncommon though and Will's not the only one for sure. What Will does well though is more import IMO. The dude throws into traffic while limiting INT's about as good as any college QB because he sees the defender not knowing when or where the pass is coming and THAT is something he does REAL Fast and VERY acccurate. I've never seen a QB at STATE throw timing patterns bettern Will.
Several broadcasts have made a point to show Will throwing a ball before the receiver comes out of his break. Really impressive to see routes like that and think about how much repetition you need to be able to do that while going through reads.

Reactions: L4MANDW

EdwardDrayton

Jul 1, 2022
What QB’s stats don’t change dramatically when under pressure?
This ^^^^^^ all day. He does however still hold the ball too long at times. And he tends to cower under pocket pressure although we've seen glimpses of being able to step out of the pocket pressure and deliver the pass downfield. He is money when there is no pressure.

Last edited:

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Tony Shell was a great passer and Kevin Fant could throw a nice looking deep ball. But you are correct, there has not been a State QB that could throw any pass any better than Will.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Tony Shell was a great passer and Kevin Fant could throw a nice looking deep ball. But you are correct, there has not been a State QB that could throw any pass any better than Will.
Yep. I'll never forget that deep ball Fant threw in the Superdome when we lost to Tulane. My Peruvian wife who had never been to a football game but always went crazy when Peru was playing soccer said "How did he throw it that far and so accurate?".... Will also thows against his body as well as I've ever seen as well.

EdwardDrayton

Jul 1, 2022
Edge rushers aren't typically the big problem for us. We get beat by twists and stunts, and our guys can't hold their blocks for longer than two or three seconds, which is why Will is screwed if he doesn't turn the ball loose. If he gets pressured from the edge, Will usually does a good job of climbing the pocket, but it's at that point that defenders can get off their blocks and get to him. He just can't hold the ball, period, against good defenses. It needs to be read 1, read 2, read 3, throw it away.
Will is very good with a clean pocket. Where LSU had so much success was applying pressure to force the quick throw while simultaneously jumping the short routes.

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
First, let me say that I take full blame and responsibility for the LSU game. Second, if we played them again we would beat them. I’m a no excuses guy, but I didn’t get any sleep the night before that game. Felt like I had covid, but I didn’t. It wasn’t their pressure as much as it was that I was just physically tired before the game, and that had effect on my mental acuity to make the right adjustments. Because of that I let my teammates and coaches down. But that’s in the past, and right now we are 4-1. After this Saturday we’ll be 5-1, and then you can get back to me about my stats. I should be leading the nation in passing in every major category. Keep doubting me, it fires me up.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login