My Final Attempt NOT To Sell My Itta Bena Farm Land

Oct 7, 2022
There’s 40 windmills in Tunica county. Largest windmills in the world.

Windmills look ugly but at least you can still farm around it. I despise solar panels especially on productive farmland.
There’s more than that south of there at Lula. Can’t wait until the first tornado comes through to see how that turns out.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
No, but farm land is being converted to solar panel farms, it makes no sense to me.

We're still decades (centuries?) away from solar being a viable method of producing electricity on a mass scale. That land is much more productive/valuable feeding/clothing/fueling the world.
Hope it don't take dat long. But till it does, drill. Survival of the world's poor should take precedent over cow flatulence concerns.

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
North MS, Not AL. Delta.
I know exactly where it is. I was just telling you how much land (non-farmland, undeveloped land) was going for in most parts of the south. Smaller plots, less functional than farmland….which could be much less easily cleared and graded to build residential property there.

No idea what the demand is to build out that way….how big the tracts are, if there’s any flood risk, or whatever. But I’ve seen farmland disappear in favor of subdivisions all over the place in recent years. Wouldn’t be surprised if even 1 rich guy would pay more for a single plot of, say, 5 acres in order to build a palace than what you’d be getting for the whole 37.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I agree with you on there being better land for solar farms. I don’t really care that they are being built to be a piece of the energy puzzle but seems like there is plenty of land around the country that provides less value than farm land does. My guess is farm land may be preferred because it’s already clear cut
And it's probably more accessible. Both roads to the land (need 18 wheelers to be able to get there to drop off the panels and such)...and paths within the land (need to be able to drive a cart or something up and down the rows of panels for maintenance etc). Probably has accessibility to the grid too.

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
I agree with you on there being better land for solar farms. I don’t really care that they are being built to be a piece of the energy puzzle but seems like there is plenty of land around the country that provides less value than farm land does. My guess is farm land may be preferred because it’s already clear cut

Solar development companies (and windmills) look for these things when looking for new sites:

Not in a flood plain
Flat
Plenty of sun
Close to a large power transmission line

Part of the reason the windmills in Tunica County are where they are is the big power lines that cross 61 right there.

When solar companies are doing site selection they even test out how often they will have to clean bird poop off of the panels.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I know exactly where it is. I was just telling you how much land (non-farmland, undeveloped land) was going for in most parts of the south. Smaller plots, less functional than farmland….which could be much less easily cleared and graded to build residential property there.

No idea what the demand is to build out that way….how big the tracts are, if there’s any flood risk, or whatever. But I’ve seen farmland disappear in favor of subdivisions all over the place in recent years. Wouldn’t be surprised if even 1 rich guy would pay more for a single plot of, say, 5 acres in order to build a palace than what you’d be getting for the whole 37.
It’s Itta Bena.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
And it's probably more accessible. Both roads to the land (need 18 wheelers to be able to get there to drop off the panels and such)...and paths within the land (need to be able to drive a cart or something up and down the rows of panels for maintenance etc). Probably has accessibility to the grid too.
They make their own roads. There were no roads there, and they had to put them in themselves.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
No, but farm land is being converted to solar panel farms, it makes no sense to me.

We're still decades (centuries?) away from solar being a viable method of producing electricity on a mass scale. That land is much more productive/valuable feeding/clothing/fueling the world.
Decades? Search for Copper Mountain Solar 1 in Boulder City, NV I've seen that one. It's about 80 acres and been active since 2010. Many of them across the country

Mississippi State Solar Farm

Golden Triangle Solar Farm

Last edited:

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024

Thank You Sir.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm not reading those links, but I mean to be worth the dollar investment (most of it our tax dollars) and worth destroying acres of productive farmland (from my understanding it's destroyed practically forever).

From what I've read, solar panels have a life span of 25ish years. There's no way the payback will be worth it, if we (tax payers) weren't subsidizing it (and politicians getting huge kickbacks), there's no way a private company would invest in that tomfoolery.

Solar panels on a small scale are great, but don't destroy the most productive farmland in the history of the world on a mass scale.

I'll even give you the solar farm going in behind the Nissan plant, at least that is near an major population and industrial center, but there's one going in between Batesville and Clarksdale that's in the middle of BFE.

Last edited:

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I would like to personally thank DS and The Pack for the help and laughs by allowing this type of interaction. I'm donating $500 to the worthiest cause The Pack Votes For once closed but MorningStar couldn't prove citizenship so he's not getting a ballot. Thanks Dawgs.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Awkward Jerry Rice GIF by ABC Network
I'm waiting on cataract surgery so I ask is that Jerry Rice?

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Call me a conspiracist, but I just don’t believe anyone is actually farming the sun or the wind

Well, since every source of energy on this planet outside of nuclear and geothermal ultimately come from or came from the sun, you'd have to believe deeply in conspiracy.

But, you're a zombie, so...

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
I hated to sell my land in Union Co. years ago. Almost 400 acres for $750 per acre. Similar to yours, just plain old soybean and cotton farming low land. However, the Tallahatchie River did run through it. About 20 years ago. Once it's gone, it's gone.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Most land in rural parts of Mississippi will bring 6k to 7k with road frontage. Non road frontage ranges from $1500 to $3000.

If you have hardwood timber, that can greatly increase prices, but pine is so overgrown now that it makes no difference.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Well, since every source of energy on this planet outside of nuclear and geothermal ultimately come from or came from the sun, you'd have to believe deeply in conspiracy.

But, you're a zombie, so...
When I’m thinking energy, I’m thinking dams, oil, batteries, electricity, substations, and BD

patdog

May 28, 2007
There’s more than that south of there at Lula. Can’t wait until the first tornado comes through to see how that turns out.
I would think odds of a direct tornado strike would be low. But 70-80 mph straight line winds like the ones that got half my neighborhood new roofs a year ago could destroy a lot of windmills.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
True. But land is land. Currently 4 listings for land for sale in Itta Bena, ranging from 18 acres to 116 acres. Cheapest is $4,000 per acre, and gets up to $7,500

Not real sure what land is land means. There's a whole lot of it out there and it sells for wildly different prices in different places.

Rural Mississippi has no shortage of land and a big shortage of people with lots of money. Its generally going to sell for something that produces a reasonable ROI.

Asking prices are often pretty different from market values.

I did look for the properties you referenced. I think I found the $7,500/acre ask. About 50 acres, of which 30 is producing $3k a year in farm rents, or $100/acre. That asking price only works if someone has money to burn, knows something is coming or has a very specific investment in mind for the property. I doubt it sells for that price or anything close to it otherwise.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
Generally speaking, Pennsylvania people aren't so bad. It's the New York state ones you gotta watch out for.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I hate to admit this but as a live long NE Ms resident I do not have a clue what part of the Delta Itta Bena is located. I know it’s west of me but when I get to the river I wouldn’t know whether to turn right, left, or around!

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I hated to sell my land in Union Co. years ago. Almost 400 acres for $750 per acre. Similar to yours, just plain old soybean and cotton farming low land. However, the Tallahatchie River did run through it. About 20 years ago. Once it's gone, it's gone.
Is Union County in The Delta?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Most land in rural parts of Mississippi will bring 6k to 7k with road frontage. Non road frontage ranges from $1500 to $3000.

If you have hardwood timber, that can greatly increase prices, but pine is so overgrown now that it makes no difference.
Does hardwood timber increase the value? I don’t think there are too many hardwood mills left around here and I think the ones that are around aren’t very profitable. Most of the land I see cut now seems to leave the hardwood standing or what they cut down gets put in a giant pile to rot.

• Sad

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I am now....Been out in the NOLA hot sun all day.

What direction from town is your land Anon?
Across from those single family homes and a small multi unit (over 4 units so commercial) in Itta Bena RIGHT outside city limits. You prolly know who farms it. The son in law of the fellow who farmed it 40 years before he died of cancer.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Nope.

Near Tupelo. New Albany is county seat. Dude named Faulkner born there. Also contains a large Toyota manufacturing plant.
Gone for 30 yrs and was thinking New Albany wasn't too far from Greenwood. Like a county over to the north, not far.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Across from those single family homes and a small multi unit (over 4 units so commercial) in Itta Bena RIGHT outside city limits. You prolly know who farms it. The son in law of the fellow who farmed it 40 years before he died of cancer.

Been over 40 yrs since I lived in Itty Bitty and over a year since I was back through there. Only farmer I knew that passed from cancer lived and worked at Quito. He was a good man and a good duck hunter.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Is Larry's Fish House still open?

Had a ton fun in IB in the 70s/early 80s, great place for kids, white kids at least.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Good ole New Albany. Great place to grow up still miss the great town of the 70 s /80s ..lots of great memories no way I could move back though wife would never

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'm not reading those links, but I mean to be worth the dollar investment (most of it our tax dollars) and worth destroying acres of productive farmland (from my understanding it's destroyed practically forever).

From what I've read, solar panels have a life span of 25ish years. There's no way the payback will be worth it, if we (tax payers) weren't subsidizing it (and politicians getting huge kickbacks), there's no way a private company would invest in that tomfoolery.

Solar panels on a small scale are great, but don't destroy the most productive farmland in the history of the world on a mass scale.

I'll even give you the solar farm going in behind the Nissan plant, at least that is near an major population and industrial center, but there's one going in between Batesville and Clarksdale that's in the middle of BFE.
These are private companies building them and selling the electricity back to TVA or whomever the local utility is, they have to buy it back by law wherever they are. Makes more sense to put it out in "BFE" on this $2,000 per acre land and still farm it under the panels rather than on a city postage stamp size lot that sells for $20-$30 thousand behind Nissan doesn't it? Sure there are tax breaks for solar, but what do you call crop subsidies for that farm land? And what is "destroying the land" about the panels too? Do a search for "agrivoltaics" which is growing crops under the panels. Never mind, you don't read articles, because it may change your mind and make you admit you're wrong

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Generally speaking, Pennsylvania people aren't so bad. It's the New York state ones you gotta watch out for.
We're getting a lot of California and Colorado family migrations here in Desoto County. All of them share Mississippi's conservative values and will vote accordingly. The property tax costs here in MS on an annual basis is what they were paying monthly in California.

Reactions: preacher_dawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login