My list to replace the Legend

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
Skip Bertman. He's stepping down as LSU's AD, or getting canned, and probably would like something to do in his spare time, plus pick up a paycheck. I'm sure he would love to win a NC at his old rivals school. If this happened, I hope our pitchers get ready to throw some innings and our hitter aren't scared of needles.

Rick Jones. Winner at Tulane. In case you haven't noticed, he has also picked up the top recruit in Mississippi and actually stole him from Ole Miss. He is aggressive and his teams are always solid. Has made it to the CWS with a school that takes a back seat to LSU.

John Cohen. Most logical. Connections with Byrne at UK and would be a popular pick as he is one of Polk's boys and yet he is aggressive like Bertman. Turned UK's program into a winner.

Tim Corbin. You have to consider anyone that's won at Vandy in any sport. Has built them into a very solid program and has recruited some great players- Mark Prior, Jeremy Sowers and David Price.

Mike Kennison. Has won a NC at Delta State, and knows how to recruit in the state. He also knows how to coach and is a no nonsense coach with fundamentally sound teams. Really can't do anything more at DSU and might welcome the challenge of coaching in the SEC.

Ray Tanner. Best coach in the SEC. I don't think he would want to come, but he might be intrigued with the possibility of coaching at a school that cares as much about baseball as MSU. Teams are always good.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
Skip Bertman. He's stepping down as LSU's AD, or getting canned, and probably would like something to do in his spare time, plus pick up a paycheck. I'm sure he would love to win a NC at his old rivals school. If this happened, I hope our pitchers get ready to throw some innings and our hitter aren't scared of needles.

Rick Jones. Winner at Tulane. In case you haven't noticed, he has also picked up the top recruit in Mississippi and actually stole him from Ole Miss. He is aggressive and his teams are always solid. Has made it to the CWS with a school that takes a back seat to LSU.

John Cohen. Most logical. Connections with Byrne at UK and would be a popular pick as he is one of Polk's boys and yet he is aggressive like Bertman. Turned UK's program into a winner.

Tim Corbin. You have to consider anyone that's won at Vandy in any sport. Has built them into a very solid program and has recruited some great players- Mark Prior, Jeremy Sowers and David Price.

Mike Kennison. Has won a NC at Delta State, and knows how to recruit in the state. He also knows how to coach and is a no nonsense coach with fundamentally sound teams. Really can't do anything more at DSU and might welcome the challenge of coaching in the SEC.

Ray Tanner. Best coach in the SEC. I don't think he would want to come, but he might be intrigued with the possibility of coaching at a school that cares as much about baseball as MSU. Teams are always good.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
to Cohen and Kennison. Nobody else on that list is leaving their current situation.

Bertman? Seriously?

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
Yes, Bertman. I know he's old, but he also knows how to win NC's. It would definately make for some interesting times at MSU. He knows how to recruit and he knows how to win.

I don't seriously think he would take the job to be honsest with you, but I do think that if I were Byrne, I would certainly ask. He won't be doing anything else productive.

Plus, he wouldn't ***** about the NCAA- nor would any of the others.

Paper Dog

Feb 20, 2008
He is an outstanding coach who would win here

However, he has launched several NCAA Polk-type crusades over the last couple of years

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
Rick Jones would not take the job. He was instrumental in the upgrade of Turchin Field on campus post-Katrina and after the hell the Tulane program endured since the storm, Jones would be vilified if he left. Btw, the stadium is nice and we need to get Tulane back on the schedule.

I advocated making a run at Ray Tanner when Mac left, and now that opportunity is gone. He is the best coach in the SEC.

Corbin, nope. Not now. That ship has sailed too.

Cohen. He better be numero uno when Polk is done. I like Cohen's style of coaching. He uses computers to chart tendencies, etc. but still motivates his players. Seems to be a good recruiter.

Kennison? I plead ignorance wrt him. I'm Col Klink on his background.

Raffo? Hell no.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Give Corbin a call. He won't pick up, but at least call.

After that Cohen and McDonnell.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
but I just don't think its likely. He's turned down Auburn and Oregon. They love him there and its his program.

patdog

May 28, 2007
MSU baseball >> either Oregon or Auburn. It would be worth a call.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Oregon was able to get George Horton so its not a bad deal out there.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The facilities and fan support for Fullerton are much worse than for any team in the SEC. Hell, Augie Garrido left there to go to Illinois.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I wouldn't want to touch Bertman. There was some pretty shady stuff going on with baseball players when he was there, with free apartment living and rampant steroid use. Those gorilla ball teams of the 90's couldn't exist any more without a big fuss being made.

awalkerdog

Feb 18, 2007
1. Buck Showalter (his resume speaks for itself)

2. John Cohen (State guy that has done a good at Kentucky)

3. Cowbell9 (crowd favorite)

patdog

May 28, 2007
No reason not to at least see if he might be interested. Roy Willimans turned North Carolina down too, and you see where he's coaching now. I know that's not an apples to apples comparison, but the point is that just because he wasn't interested in LSU a couple of years ago doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't be interested in MSU when Polk does step down. When Polk does leave, we don't need to be crossing names off of our wish list without even giving them the chance to coach in front of the best baseball crowds and facilities in the nation.

sixpackmafia

Feb 24, 2008
.....have you ever met the dude?? he was an assistant at Madison Central High when I was there in the 90s......his people skills are that of a door knob....not to mention he a complete douche....recruiting against other SEC coaches would mean complete failure for this robot....

easy choice....

Cohen.....

D

msubball2525

Feb 25, 2008
in Division II. Wow, what an accomplishment. Hey, I am a pretty good dancer when I am not competing against anyone else.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Wow! A coach who's a douchebag. Who would have ever thought that! Guess what, lot's of successful coaches are douchebags. Hell, Bill Belechik isn't exactly what you'd call a charming guy. Neither is Les Miles or Nick Saban.

orthodawg08

Feb 23, 2008
Nice argument. When you are dancing, you are competing with others, not alone. How can you fault a guy for having a winning program, where ever he is.

Porkchop.sixpack

Jan 23, 2007
resources for the most part. When we do that, we don't do as well as he has done, for the most part.

I mean, if you are who you say you are, surely you can acknowlege that fact. He hasn't competed against nobody. He has competed against schools with resources like he has.

He is an *******. I know that from his days at JP. However, the guy is a winner.

I would still pick Cohen because of his age.

sixpackmafia

Feb 24, 2008
look dick, I never played HS baseball or junior high for that matter.....I played golf.....and yes, I played for MSU as a walk on in the 90s.....all im saying is that I knew that guy from my days at the field house during 6th and 7th period, and you couldnt hold a 10 sec conversation with that guy.....

here's my scenario: im a highly recruited SEC caliber baseball player, im narrowing my choices.....it comes down to who wins baseball games and championships....that narrows it down to half the SEC baseball programs.....SC, UT, UM, MSU, LSU, UF, Vandy......now I decide what coach I can relate too......well, that throws out Mike Kennison and whoever he coaches for.......

John Cohen is a great baseball coach, and one helluva salesman....

that's the kind of guy we need at MSU.....

D

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
I would saresay that our program now is better than LSU's was two years ago. Plus, Bertman is impossible to replace. I know he was replacing Smoke Laval, but still.

No one is going to top 5 NC's. Topping Polk would be difficult, but is still doable.

msubball2525

Feb 25, 2008
I was saying that he really doesn't play anyone. Are you getting it yet.

Today class, we are going to learn how to interpret an argument. Don't listen to orthodawg though cause he just can't get it yet.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login