My list to replace the Legend

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
I do think that Delta State really is a D-I team playing D-II baseball.

You do have to give him credit for building DSU into that type of a team.

I know I'd like us to dominate D-I the way DSU dominates D-II.

msubball2525

Feb 25, 2008
I will give him that much. The guy has one a DII national championship. I just don't think he is the guy for MSU

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah. Ohio St. really screwed the pooch when they hired a I-AA coach to be their football coach. Because we all know that if you win at one level, there's no way you could win at the next level.

orthodawg08

Feb 23, 2008
If he doesn't play anyone, then he should have (insert number of years at DSU) championships.
Truth is there competition at every level.

msubball2525

Feb 25, 2008
Jake Taylor or Lou Brown.

Seriously though, Cohen. He is the perfect guy for the situation and I think that he has been waiting for the opportunity.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
Thankfully, with Byrne he might very well get it. Like I said, he probably is the most logical choice. Even though I don't think he is one of Polk's favorites, he does have the connection to Polk and he knows what MSU baseball is all about, and that would help quell the die hard Polk supporters, but at the same time he is an aggressive coach and his style is different enough- more stealing, bunting along with power and of course good pitching- that it would please someone like myself who wants someone that could maybe take us to Omaha every year and maybe win the darn thing.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
I was at MC when Kennison was there as well. He wasn't there for long. Rumor was he was fired from Prep because he threw an overhead projector at a student. Have no idea if that is true or not. He was an assistant to DM Howie- the legendary St. Joseph's baseball coach. I guess Kennison was in line to take over, but then Bill Merchant at DSU had a serious car accident and was paralyzed with quadraplegia (I believe). Kennison then suddenly found himself back at DSU and later took over after Merchant passed away.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
b/c people didn't like his yelling at their kids. He is an intense, intense man. Prep people have a strong tendency to dislike their coaches. It really shows you how successful Ricky Black has been.

But yes, he did throw a projector on the floor one time, long before he was let go.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
I'm surprised you're the only one to mention Dan McDonnell. Obviously he's a great recruiter. The question was, could he lead his own team on the field. Obviously he proved he could do that taking his team to a 1-2 trip in Omaha in his first season. And I doubt Louisville is his last stop. I'll bet that he looks to make a jump to an ACC or SEC school at some point before settling in to build a program for the long haul. He'd be near the top of my list if Bianco were to leave.

All that said, MSU should go after whoever they think is the best regardless of situation. Your AD shouldn't be afraid to call anyone in the country, because your program is a good enough program to be able to draw interest from almost anyone. You may get some people to turn you down for one reason or another, but the possibility of being turned down shouldn't be a reason not to call from MSU's position.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login