My Manifesto

cb6228

Aug 30, 2006
I would like to preface this with a hearty congrats to Stans, Charles, Barry, Jamont, and the rest of the Bulldogs.

My criticism of Jamont was well placed in the first half and my lack of consternation for Stans was well placed. Switching to a zone against a team that was backdooring us to death was the right move in the first half. Sure we gave up a few open looks for three in the zone, but no more than we did in the man to man the first 5 minutes of the second half. The difference was a team that hit shots vs a team that missed the same wide open shots. At least we stemmed the tide of a free layups and protected our big men from early foul trouble.

Charles was the player of the game, but Barry Stewart got us back in the game with the help of effective ball distribution by our PG and floor leader Jamont Gordon. Jamont's decision, probably at the behest of Stansbury, to be a floor general and distributor of the ball in the final 11 minutes, as opposed to a ball hog trying to impress scouts by driving into a packed lane and throwing up prayers with the hope of drawing fouls, is what got us back into the game. Jamont's unselfish play and Barry's ability to get out of his slump is what got us back in the game. To blame any of our failures and shortcomings in this game on Stans is both shortsighted and indicative of a general distaste for him and a complete lack of appreciation for the responsibility of players to live up to their positional duties and expectations.

Those of you who have such hatred for Stans will likely ***** a storm when he zones a Memphis team that has the ability to shoot 40+% from 3-pt range but generally shoots much worse. Going man to man vs Memphis would be the worst idea. They will eat us alive and Varnado and Rhodes won't play 12 minutes in the first half if they aren't protected with a zone. CDR, Rose, and Anderson may light us up early (much like they did TN), but if we can stay out of foul trouble, hit our FTs, and take care of the bball then we have a chance. Memphis is hands down the best defensive and most athletic team we have played all year.

I will be the first to criticize Stans if we don't matchup zone memphis early and often with mixed in man to man play. Whatever happens, I expect us to get back defensively and attempt to draw fouls offensively with good off the ball movement and dribble penetration.

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
is that their players are looking past us. I doubt Calipari will overlook us, but maybe the players will look at the seeding. There is no doubt that we are one of the 4 or 5 most talented teams they will play all year.

saddawg

Jun 25, 2006
OOB this morning said ,if we made it to Memphis, we would have to play zone to have a chance. Said that man was a certain death because of matchups. I'm gonna agree with him. I never doubted Williams ability to game plan. Now his subs and handling of players was another matter.

M

MsuD00D

I still think you are a dubmass. I don't care if they turned in to Princeton and backdoored us, you STILL don't go zone against a team with 4 guys shooting over 40% from 3 point land. You tell our lazy *** players to wake the 17 up and keep their man out of the lane.

Anybody has the "ability" to shoot 40% from 3 point range but Memphis only has one starter shooting > that 40% from 3. And yes, they are much faster than Oregon so some zone may be needed.

Sorry you can't grasp the difference, but you do NOT zone a team that jacks up 37 three pointers, especially when we didn't bother to contest at least 7 or 8 of those out of the 2-3 zone.

cb6228

Aug 30, 2006
...and i'll cont to believe you are a one trick pony tat doesn't know its *** from a hole in the ground.

You do everything it takes to stop what is beating you. in our case it was free layups. stans made the right move, chewing up more of the clock and forcing longer shots, which they hit. oregon is the fastest team we faced all year, but doesn't exempt our players from awful effort on the defensive end. The game plan was solid. We didn't contend much of anything, zone or not in the first half, and didn't in man to man in the first 8 minutes of the 2nd half.

Imagine if UT had resorted to man to man vs memphis they would have been killed. it just happened that memphis went cold.

hotdigitydog

May 21, 2007
Our only chance is to play zone to slow the pace of the game and hope they're not hitting from the outside.........

In order for us to beat them, it must be an "UGLY" game.............

I'll take an ugly win any day.................

cb6228

Aug 30, 2006
hotdigitydog said:
Our only chance is to play zone to slow the pace of the game and hope they're not hitting from the outside.........

In order for us to beat them, it must be an "UGLY" game.............

I'll take an ugly win any day.................

ding ding ding we have a winner....mostly. Stans is great at varying his defensive pressure to keep teams guessing. (May not be the best at out of TO plays, but I digress). Only way we beat Memphis is for CR and JV to stay out of foul trouble by protecting them with the zone. If not, Taggart and Dorsey will eat us alive.</p>
Disclaimer: Parents have had Memphis season tix for 20 years, eventhough they went to a school with a better bball tradition that happens to be a one seed this year (they are Memphis fans first). I grew up a Memphis fan, but am an MSU fan first without question. Also, have Final Four tix guaranteed if Memphis makes it...which might delay my ability to make it to the Masters to see the whole week. Thus, there is no doubt I am fully behind my bulldogs.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login