My Solution to Fix Mississippi High School Sports

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
People will still bltch about too many people making the playoff in 6A. So I don't think it solves anything.

I think 7A (or 6A, whichever one) will just need to reach out to other states and play more big games like that before district play. There will be more travel, yes, but they also have more resources, so it is what it is. At least they will get more caloric density that way and not beat up on smaller teams. And who cares if more teams make the playoff, it'll still be an accomplishment to win 7A.
I really don't get people's concerns about too many people making the playoff. It's 17ing high school sports. There is not regular season TV money or ticket pricing to protect. If it's not an accomplishment to make the playoffs, then making the playoffs won't be a big deal and the only thing that will matter is winning the championship. If you're trying to put 24 teams into one bracket and you are extending the season too far, sure, that doesn't work. But if you just have 6 big schools and do a 6 school playoff with two teams getting a bye, that seems fine.

I think we were more or less guaranteed to make the playoffs when I played high school sports in football and basketball. It was fine. Nobody talked about it being too easy to make the playoffs; we just didn't talk about it at all.

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
A lot of this has me laughing.

I’m all for the two playing each other a lot more. If it went as far as convincing the two to combine for even playoffs, you have to figure out a way to cut out the recruiting. Or have divisions for those that openly recruit. I don’t know.
Why does st Andrews play MHSAA and not MAIS
They are considered parochial. All of the parochial to my knowledge were MHSAA until a few years ago. Many were charter members.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I really don't get people's concerns about too many people making the playoff. It's 17ing high school sports. There is not regular season TV money or ticket pricing to protect. If it's not an accomplishment to make the playoffs, then making the playoffs won't be a big deal and the only thing that will matter is winning the championship. If you're trying to put 24 teams into one bracket and you are extending the season too far, sure, that doesn't work. But if you just have 6 big schools and do a 6 school playoff with two teams getting a bye, that seems fine.

I think we were more or less guaranteed to make the playoffs when I played high school sports in football and basketball. It was fine. Nobody talked about it being too easy to make the playoffs; we just didn't talk about it at all.
Yeah. They don't play but 5 district games out of a 10 game schedule. So what if you get a rematch or whatever, it happens. 7A teams need to play other states early on and get their games on TV. Then we will have NIL for high schools! Already do, in some states.

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
Any accredited private school can join MHSAA if it wants to. The Catholic schools used to play MHSAA too, until they tried to stop the Greenville and Natchez schools from taking kids literally right across the river.
Exactly.

That was a big factor in the school I went to (Greenville St. Joe) leaving. People couldn’t understand why it was fair for Catholic families living over the bridge in AR 15-20 mins away) wanted to send their 4/5/6th generation child to the only Catholic high school in the area.

People have also forgotten there was a time when Italians weren’t allowed to go to public schools (which is why many Catholic schools popped up to begin with). In our area, at least.

Times change and all, but it wasn’t “recruiting for sports”, as schools started claiming when we had a streak of good baseball teams come along. (2 state championships in however many years of being members).

Anyway- I get cries about recruiting, certainly. I’m not in favor of it for sports. We also left because it made sense with gates for sports and with schools getting consolidated we hoped it would mean shorter bus rides. Not always the case, but it seems it’s better. Some sports have gotten easier, some same or harder- our school has changed a lot in the past 15 years so hard to compare.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
It’s cute that you think that the MAIS (in the form of its schools) wants to be or remain privately funded.

I didn’t say what they want to do. But this board should have a say so in what they have to do.

discussinf opinions is one thing but most people I comment on tend to sound like they are speaking in “absolutes”. This HAS to be done. This MUST be done. This is the ONLY way. Etc

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I didn’t say what they want to do. But this board should have a say so in what they have to do.

discussinf opinions is one thing but most people I comment on tend to sound like they are speaking in “absolutes”. This HAS to be done. This MUST be done. This is the ONLY way. Etc
Typing errors that change the meaning of what you intended to say aside, your last sentence makes it seem like you havent actually talked with people before.
Welcome to language and conversation. People use modal verbs to show passion, frustration, and value.
(now is when you look up what 'modal verb' means.)
Just because someone uses 'has to' or 'must' doesnt mean or even hint at what you have claimed, which is that people here are telling MAIS what to do.

Saying 'I think the Clippers have to resign Leonard and George this summer. They must keep their franchise players and build around them.' is not me actually telling Steve Ballmer and Trent Redden what to do.
When someone on tv or radio says the Steelers have to fire Tomlin, that doesnt mean the show host is actually telling Rooney or Kahn what to do.

Stop being intentionally obtuse.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Typing errors that change the meaning of what you intended to say aside, your last sentence makes it seem like you havent actually talked with people before.
Welcome to language and conversation. People use modal verbs to show passion, frustration, and value.
(now is when you look up what 'modal verb' means.)
Just because someone uses 'has to' or 'must' doesnt mean or even hint at what you have claimed, which is that people here are telling MAIS what to do.

Saying 'I think the Clippers have to resign Leonard and George this summer. They must keep their franchise players and build around them.' is not me actually telling Steve Ballmer and Trent Redden what to do.
When someone on tv or radio says the Steelers have to fire Tomlin, that doesnt mean the show host is actually telling Rooney or Kahn what to do.

Stop being intentionally obtuse.
how about you stop being a b1ch?

I’m sorry you think you are smarter than me.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
I don't understand why anyone would want to separate them.
The private schools already segrega. . .errr. . . separated themselves when they decided to be a private school. You want to play in the NFL, join the NFL. As much as we may want to see riveting football such as Starkville vs. Starkville Academy and West Point vs. Oak Hill, the poor private school kids don't deserve that punishment.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I’m sorry you think you are smarter than me.

There are a lot of sorry people on this board…

spartacus GIF

(you did leave that open to interpretation I’m… sorry to say… **)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login