My take on college football's $illy $eason...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Napier is a home run hire for Stricklin?

Could you elaborate please?

Edit: If you were still with the Clarion-Ledger, I'd expect that to be in a later column but since your Mississippi Today pieces are more focused with in-state topics I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Sep 7, 2012
Glad to: Look at Napier's record, who he learned from, how he did what he did at Louisiana. I just believe Napier is a rising star in this business. I think he'll win at Florida. I can't believe the AD at LSU just ignored him. Just my opinion, which is what my column usually is...

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

Edit: If you were still with the Clarion-Ledger, I'd expect that to be in a later column but since your Mississippi Today pieces are more focused with in-state topics I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Rick certainly may have further thoughts, but Florida managed to get a coach that LSU couldn't, he has a good pedigree, and he's shown himself to be a competent HC and a place that's tough to win. That may not be a grand slam but it's at least a solo shot.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
This is where I am as well. Dude has a lot of contacts in strong places and has a good rep among colleagues. He is a good recruiter. He will succeed at Flarda. Quickly.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008

Guess that is Rick's opinion but I agree, on paper, Mullen would have been seen more of a HR hire by Stricklin than Napier at the point at which each was hired. Mullen had previously worked at Florida and knew the culture and had proven success at a P5 program in the same conference. Napier has done a great job at ULL but we have seen guys that have performed really well at G5 schools before with no P5 experience as a HC fall on their face at the next level (including multiple Saban disciples). Mullen won 29 games in his first 3 years at Florida. I will be very surprised if Napier matches that.

Jack Klompus.sixpack

Mar 6, 2021
I agree that Napier is a very good coach, but I don’t believe that any coach should ever be considered a home run hire immediately upon hiring. The ball is still in the air with good trajectory, but it hasn’t cleared the fence yet. Let’s see how things play out.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Napier is going to have to quickly "win back" the locker room if he hopes to get as many wins as Dan did in his first three years.
The culture among Florida recruits is a bit different than what Billy is used to at La-La Lafayette.
We will see... but I don't think Billy's gonna make it.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
While I don't agree with Rick's take on Napier, I agree 100% with his take on Jimbo. Napier will have success much like Mullen did, but he has to compete against the big red machine. Jimbo will be good for an upset or 2, nothing more.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Rick isn't it trying to start the weekly articles on CWS 2022? 🙏🙏🙏

patdog

May 28, 2007
They managed to hire a coach who LSU never even considered. . Big difference. LSU made a home run hire. Florida hit a single.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
They managed to hire a coach who LSU never even considered. . Big difference. LSU made a home run hire. Florida hit a single.

I thought LSU really wanted Napier; if that wasn't the case thanks for the correction.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If they wanted Napier & whiffed and then wound up with Kelly as a fallback, then their AD is the luckiest guy around. I think they got their #1 choice & this deal was done weeks ago.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I agree that Napier is a very good coach, but I don’t believe that any coach should ever be considered a home run hire immediately upon hiring. The ball is still in the air with good trajectory, but it hasn’t cleared the fence yet. Let’s see how things play out.

I'm not sold on Napier myself. He may do fine but stepping from ULL to the stage that is Florida with their fans, alumni, and Spurrier is a massive step up. Kinda like rebuilding a vintage Mustang till it is running great then trying step in to be the driver for a NASCAR machine and learn your crew, owner, and competitors in a year.

Aug 28, 2018
We wanted Napier, whiffed, then ended up with Leach. That's just the way it tends to go. I'm not arguing with the way it turned out at the moment.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Are you seriously comparing Mike Leach with Brian Kelly? We hired a coach from Washington St who wasn’t being courted by a lot of P5 schools. LSU hired Notre Dames coach who’s been to 2 playoffs & potentially a 3rd this year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login