My thoughts…

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
If we’re not going to run an offense that plays to Will’s strengths, we need to give Wright a chance.
We’re not. We decided that when we hired Barbay. But a 1st year coach doesn’t have the balls to send the school record holder in passing yards packing, which is understandable. So the unforgivable sin was not keeping the offensive staff together for one season and then rebuilding.

We chose a half-measure and it predictably is blowing up in our faces.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
We’re not. We decided that when we hired Barbay. But a 1st year coach doesn’t have the balls to send the school record holder in passing yards packing, which is understandable. So the unforgivable sin was not keeping the offensive staff together for one season and then rebuilding.
But, it’s not all or nothing.

I think Wright only had 1 snap in the first half today. What is that? He needs a snap on every drive. That’s not stepping on Will’s toes, IMO.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I can understand why you would feel that way, but just changing quarterbacks will not fix the problems we have as a team, our game planning, or play calling. I will agree with you for one reason: I wish they would play someone else at QB, so you all will have to finally see that we have more significant problems on this team than our quarterback. If not, we will get him killed before the season ends. I told everybody before the season started that our most prominent issues were the offensive linemen and the defensive backfield. You saw that over and over today on the line, especially with two touchdowns, to the same guy, on the same play throwing the deep route over our right cornerback. He came close to making it three touchdowns on the same play against the same guy.

When you get a new quarterback, you need to find some new wide receivers that can run hot routes when they see a blitz on the line of scrimmage... they are just running down the field.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
i just got home. Son had a tournament. I watched about 10 plays. Once they got up 10 and we trotted Will back out there - I gave up.

You can’t sit Mike Wright with the way we look offensively. You have to give him a shot. It’s criminal what we are doing offensively.

I have given Will my share of criticism, but I honestly don't blame him. Our o-line and secondary are just awful.

But the fact is we haven't had but a single deep pass this year and that was against SELA to our freshman who has since disappeared from the gameplan. Nearly all our electric plays, of which there are woefully few, have been either runs or short passes. This offense can at least be semi-competent with we commit to RPO. Wright might not be the answer, but Will just can't execute in this offense. He needs air raid schemes or better protection and we aren't doing either.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I have given Will my share of criticism, but I honestly don't blame him. Our o-line and secondary are just awful.

But the fact is we haven't had but a single deep pass this year and that was against SELA to our freshman who has since disappeared from the gameplan. Nearly all our electric plays, of which there are woefully few, have been either runs or short passes. This offense can at least be semi-competent with we commit to RPO. Wright might not be the answer, but Will just can't execute in this offense. He needs air raid schemes or better protection and we aren't doing either.
I agree. He's a good Air Raid quarterback. He sucks at doing everything else at quarterback.

I do have one question. If you have a reasonably experienced team that can play one style of offensive ball, why would you completely change it for the next season and expect anything different to happen? I would think you wouldn't do that unless you at the other personnel to run it.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
I do have one question. If you have an a fairly experienced team that can play one style od offensive ball, why would you completely change it for the next season and expect anything different to happen?
Indeed.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
i just got home. Son had a tournament. I watched about 10 plays. Once they got up 10 and we trotted Will back out there - I gave up.

You can’t sit Mike Wright with the way we look offensively. You have to give him a shot. It’s criminal what we are doing offensively.
We have stupid coaches is why. At some point they may give Wright a start but it will be too late. 4-8 at best.

Reactions: blitz2Win

CrazyEyeKilla

Aug 22, 2012
I agree. He's a good Air Raid quarterback. He sucks at doing everything else at quarterback.

I do have one question. If you have a reasonably experienced team that can play one style of offensive ball, why would you completely change it for the next season and expect anything different to happen? I would think you wouldn't do that unless you at the other personnel to run it.
Why is it a universal opinion that he was a good air raid qb? I think he was an average air raid qb and probably one of the worst Leach qbs over his career

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I can understand why you would feel that way, but just changing quarterbacks will not fix the problems we have as a team, our game planning, or play calling. I will agree with you for one reason: I wish they would play someone else at QB, so you all will have to finally see that we have more significant problems on this team than our quarterback. If not, we will get him killed before the season ends. I told everybody before the season started that our most prominent issues were the offensive linemen and the defensive backfield. You saw that over and over today on the line, especially with two touchdowns, to the same guy, on the same play throwing the deep route over our right cornerback. He came close to making it three touchdowns on the same play against the same guy.

When you get a new quarterback, you need to find some new wide receivers that can run hot routes when they see a blitz on the line of scrimmage... they are just running down the field.

Wait. Hold on. The best drive of the day was with Wright on the field maybe half of the snaps, right? I realize it was against their 2nd string but still. No doubt the O has major problems but the TD was a TD because Wright was at QB, not Will.

Positive. Our kick return team is STILL the best in the country.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Muttley

Aug 22, 2012
Well listen, I can't tell you what kind of an offense I'm gonna run until I see who your best 11 players are. That is some straight used car salesman bull junk. Arnett bought that hook line and sinker.
That's what I think too. He dang sure isn't playing to whatever strengths we may have.

Reactions: blitz2Win

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
If we’re not going to run an offense that plays to Will’s strengths, we need to give Wright a chance.

Noodle Concrete Feet has no strengths. Short of having a coach line up behind him and pointing to a receiver, what else should we do? He has no vision, no escapability, and no arm.

mcfly.sixpack

Mar 21, 2009
Will and the offense are pathetic. You can’t make an argument otherwise and they are taking their fair share of criticism. What hasn’t been discussed is just how bad the defense is too. Our weak side linebackers are god awful. It’s time to take the Will linebacker off the field and switch to a four man front. Every time we blitzed from the weak side we left our cornerback on that side of the field on an island with no safety help because we were in man coverage. And that blitzer was absolutely ineffective. Nabors abused us because of this.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I always liked Leach and wanted him to continue the Air Raid here and see what happened with a good sample size. I like Will fine, and I didn't call from him to be replaced in the first two weeks. I was ambivalent about switching offenses. Thought doing a system overhaul on offense could 17 things up but also didn't know about the sustainability of the Air Raid long-term without Leach. Really didn't know the capabilities of the rest of the staff and what the right call was. Sucks to waste a good team with this, and it hasn't inspired confidence in the hires made. All that said, I'm firmly in the "give Wright a chance" camp after today. Will missed targets and the offensive line couldn't protect. Until the O-line demonstrates that they can block at all, I don't see how we can't put someone mobile back there.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The substitutions haven't been working.

I watched the game with lot of people who were fans of other schools. They could not understand us to keep trotting out will. Especially in third quarter. My lsu friends couldn't understand it either. I ket getting texts saying we were idiots

because no matter how much people think we could have rolled with spurrier jr or hollingshead leach is not on that sideline snd we wouldn't do it like he did it. Go back and look at the bowl game it wasn't that great. Our offense or at least will wasnt great in the egg bowl either. We didn't score that much against lsu last year either. I remember our qb getting sacked a lot in the second half. If will was such a great qb he would have adapted to a pro style offense snd been able to hit people but he didn't hit the broadside of the barn and if pressured folds like a chair. I counted several times how long he heald the ball before actually pressured. Many times it was plus 5. He's just not an athlete. Barbay isn't helping him with quick throws to the flats which is what will has done for three years. 3-7 yard flats. Barbay doesn't use enough of the width of the field at all. Everything is bunched and between the hashes. Will gets it batted down. No lanes. And everyone tees off because he can't run. We didn't rush Daniel's as much tonight after delaura last week and how daniels beat us last year. He improved his throwing and we didn't have Forbes to guard nabers.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
This… Will looks terribly uncomfortable. There were times today he could have been confused with a true freshman.

Reactions: patdog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Why is it a universal opinion that he was a good air raid qb? I think he was an average air raid qb and probably one of the worst Leach qbs over his career
There is a good air raid and then a great air quarterback. He didn't throw 10,000 yards sucking hind teat. You guys want to beat up on Will Rogers so much that you can't stand even calling him good, and that shows exactly where your biased opinions lay.

I already made the point that Will is not going to save us. Don't act like he is why we suck *** and the only reason why we were beaten 41 to 14 today. You all are just making yourself look sad and stupid now.

You guys still haven't told me who will play quarterback and wide receiver for your new team. The quarterback that got kicked off of the losing team? I thought you couldn't accept anything but excellence.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Honestly this is the absolute biggest reason I didn't want to hire Mike Leach. Nobody runs the pure Leach offense anymore, NOBODY. It is absolutely antiquated except in the hands of the master. This was always coming when Leach left. Those of you that wanted him, this is part of what you wanted. I just hate it happened in a down year in the SEC.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I left when LSU was up 24-0 and we had 7 yards of offense. Naturally I missed our only good drive of the game as I was walking to my car.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login