My view of the game is slightly different than many I have read

CCUIrmo

Mar 21, 2022
There are alot on here I have read upset with the Refs and with Kennard specifically.

I get the ref thing totally and agree with a good bit, however, Beamer is right in that some other ones were just dumb mistakes.

As for Kinnard, he played really good and really hard. Blaming him for the bad plays and some saying he got paid to throw the game is ludicrous. The horse collar call would not have been a penalty any other year but this one and it also was somewhat unintentional. He was trying to grab anything he could to affect the play and even grabbed the shoulder first and hand just got to the jersey around the neck. Bad break but he was trying to make a play. The call that negated the 100 yd TD was bull. He didnt hit the QB very hard and was hitting him on the front and also the QB was making his way to try and make a tackle, regardless of whether he would have or not. I dont blame him for that one. All told, Kinnard is a beast and I am supper glad to have him on this team.

NOW, the part of the game that aggravated me the most was the repeated lack of stopping the run between the left tackle and left guard. We would constantly shift in with the tackle and then the defensive end would rush out wide leaving a massive hole that a semi truck could have run through. We never had a linebacker fill that gap. It happened over and over again. That would be a coaching issue to me as to why no one on the defensive staff would adjust to that. LSU ran through that hole almost every time and that got them numerous first downs to keep drives going. That HAS to be fixed.

It also hurt losing Sellers run/pass mix ability. If he stays in the game we use more clock and maybe dont end up where we were.

I am happy with how hard we played. We had some bad luck with calls but also bad decisions and lack of adjustments on defense that determined the game. I have great hope for this season still and feel good about this team and cant wait to see what we can accomplish if we stay focused and play hard.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
You know, coaches always say "control the things you can control".

If we do that on Saturday, we win. I could tell early on the mistakes were going to be a problem. Even when we were up 17-0, my wife was befuddled why I wasn't swinging from the rafters. Told her it was because we were just making too many mistakes and there was a lot of game left.

1vagamecock

Jan 19, 2022
My take on it is, since gambling has become huge in college football, we can never be sure that refs aren't purposely missing calls.
Look at the bowl game against Michigan or read how Peyton Manning said the refs offered him stuff if he would go out with one of his relatives.
I know it sounds crazy, but I just think about all the other things I thought were crazy that turned put to be true.

Reactions: 92Pony

cockyferg

Jan 25, 2022
The penalties on Kinnard were bad, and were easily preventable. The one that really hurt was the offensive pass interference on a 40 yard pass play. People have been complaining about Ashford, but he really didn't look that bad when he had the opportunity to pass.

THEusccocks

Joined Aug 19, 2001
Jan 29, 2022
My take on it is, since gambling has become huge in college football, we can never be sure that refs aren't purposely missing calls.
Look at the bowl game against Michigan or read how Peyton Manning said the refs offered him stuff if he would go out with one of his relatives.
I know it sounds crazy, but I just think about all the other things I thought were crazy that turned put to be true.
Only problem with this theory is we still covered the spread. Maybe they were helping someone with a huge bet on the money line, lol

ctgarric

Joined Nov 18, 2005
Feb 8, 2022
I think the focus difference is this:

Yes, we could have played better and there are several things that can be pointed to that if we had done this or that differently, the refs wouldn’t have mattered.

The other side of that coin is that when you ask the question, ‘despite the mistakes, did the team play well enough to win?’ The answer is also yes.

I think the reason that people get so upset about refs in situations like this is that people fundamentally do not like unfairness. And our hearts go out to the players that know, despite the flaws in the game, they played well enough to win that game and someone not wearing a Gamecock or Tiger jersey affected the outcome.

Reactions: joefanatic

SouthernBelly

Sep 16, 2024
During the game, prior to the bogus OPI and the 2nd deleted pick six, I was getting frustrated by what looked like the inability to stop the run due to defensive formation and their TE regularly getting open. The second-half play-calling on offense was predictable and continues to show Loggains inability/stubborn unwillingness to use the whole field. Beamer cannot claim to trust Ashford and yet go with the "play not to lose mentality" with him in there (playing not to lose almost always results in losing). I was frustrated with the coaches well before the officials did their thing. You could see the game slipping away in the 2nd quarter. Just like 18IsTheMan said above regarding the lead 17 point lead, there was no reason to be looking forward to anything at point. Until this program and this staff prove different there's no such thing as a safe lead in Gamecock football. Even if Emmanwori's TD would have stood does anyone really think that lead could not have been squandered as well?

Regarding the officials, the horse collar call was correct. I don't know why people don't recognize rules get changed and updated. Some of the fans are going on about "it was the jersey not the pads"; the inside of the jersey has been part of it for a while and as of this season even the outside of the upper portion of the jersey is included in that penalty. Sucks for the Gamecocks, but it was correct. The OPI was crap and there's no telling how impactful that was. The other negated pick six...I am inclined to think is wrong too, but I am also sort of able to see why it was called. However, I don't blame Kennard for it, he was in a no win situation as soon as any contact was made.

Boil it all down - never give the officials a chance to decide a game due to bad calls. Increasingly poor officiating has been a problem. The six and seven figure coaches need to know that and need to do a better job setting their players up to win. That didn't happen so it left room in a close game for the officials to be a factor. The players were far from mistake free football but their effort was incredible, so it starts with the coaches.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
During the game, prior to the bogus OPI and the 2nd deleted pick six, I was getting frustrated by what looked like the inability to stop the run due to defensive formation and their TE regularly getting open. The second-half play-calling on offense was predictable and continues to show Loggains inability/stubborn unwillingness to use the whole field. Beamer cannot claim to trust Ashford and yet go with the "play not to lose mentality" with him in there (playing not to lose almost always results in losing). I was frustrated with the coaches well before the officials did their thing. You could see the game slipping away in the 2nd quarter. Just like 18IsTheMan said above regarding the lead 17 point lead, there was no reason to be looking forward to anything at point. Until this program and this staff prove different there's no such thing as a safe lead in Gamecock football. Even if Emmanwori's TD would have stood does anyone really think that lead could not have been squandered as well?

Regarding the officials, the horse collar call was correct. I don't know why people don't recognize rules get changed and updated. Some of the fans are going on about "it was the jersey not the pads"; the inside of the jersey has been part of it for a while and as of this season even the outside of the upper portion of the jersey is included in that penalty. Sucks for the Gamecocks, but it was correct. The OPI was crap and there's no telling how impactful that was. The other negated pick six...I am inclined to think is wrong too, but I am also sort of able to see why it was called. However, I don't blame Kennard for it, he was in a no win situation as soon as any contact was made.

Boil it all down - never give the officials a chance to decide a game due to bad calls. Increasingly poor officiating has been a problem. The six and seven figure coaches need to know that and need to do a better job setting their players up to win. That didn't happen so it left room in a close game for the officials to be a factor. The players were far from mistake free football but their effort was incredible, so it starts with the coaches.
Welcome new member! I liked your post and look forward to hearing from you again.

1vagamecock

Jan 19, 2022

Watching the game today I realized the Refs were worse than we previously thought. There were tons of bad calls against us but there were a lot against LSU not called. I watched 1 play where the LSU O lineman was pulling our D ta kles face mask for the whole play in front of a ref and no call.
CFB has been suspect for a while.

SouthernBelly

Sep 16, 2024
Watching the game today I realized the Refs were worse than we previously thought. There were tons of bad calls against us but there were a lot against LSU not called. I watched 1 play where the LSU O lineman was pulling our D ta kles face mask for the whole play in front of a ref and no call.
I don’t recall when but there was also an obvious late hit not called against LSU. And I was a tad surprised Nussmier didn’t get an unsportsmanlike conduct for his going on at the officials after the snap he wasn’t ready for that resulted in a turnover.

Slim Chickens Gamecock

Feb 2, 2022
There are alot on here I have read upset with the Refs and with Kennard specifically.

I get the ref thing totally and agree with a good bit, however, Beamer is right in that some other ones were just dumb mistakes.

As for Kinnard, he played really good and really hard. Blaming him for the bad plays and some saying he got paid to throw the game is ludicrous. The horse collar call would not have been a penalty any other year but this one and it also was somewhat unintentional. He was trying to grab anything he could to affect the play and even grabbed the shoulder first and hand just got to the jersey around the neck. Bad break but he was trying to make a play. The call that negated the 100 yd TD was bull. He didnt hit the QB very hard and was hitting him on the front and also the QB was making his way to try and make a tackle, regardless of whether he would have or not. I dont blame him for that one. All told, Kinnard is a beast and I am supper glad to have him on this team.

NOW, the part of the game that aggravated me the most was the repeated lack of stopping the run between the left tackle and left guard. We would constantly shift in with the tackle and then the defensive end would rush out wide leaving a massive hole that a semi truck could have run through. We never had a linebacker fill that gap. It happened over and over again. That would be a coaching issue to me as to why no one on the defensive staff would adjust to that. LSU ran through that hole almost every time and that got them numerous first downs to keep drives going. That HAS to be fixed.

It also hurt losing Sellers run/pass mix ability. If he stays in the game we use more clock and maybe dont end up where we were.

I am happy with how hard we played. We had some bad luck with calls but also bad decisions and lack of adjustments on defense that determined the game. I have great hope for this season still and feel good about this team and cant wait to see what we can accomplish if we stay focused and play hard.
right on -right on with the gash play they kept running off left tackle-whole left side was wide open- I could have gained 50 yards on 8 carries through that hole.

Slim Chickens Gamecock

Feb 2, 2022
yup- I saw it too. our kid's head was turned sideways while he tried to chase down the play. blatant and obvious

AngloCock

Aug 14, 2023

I feel ya. A four man line is better at run stopping. When your QB goes down, I think they went 3-3-5 in order to prevent long passes, but opened up run lanes. We picked our poison and lost by a millimeter. Wish we would have stayed aggressive.

AngloCock

Aug 14, 2023
Agree. I saw holding and hands to the face- not called.

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024

The last 5 minutes of the 1st half was a killer due to poor offensive play calling.

Reactions: SouthernBelly