National Architectural Firm Selected...

bomanishus

Mar 17, 2009
... to develop an athletics facilities master plan.

Per Selmon: “We just selected a national architecture firm to do a facilities master plan,” he said. “We’re looking at every facility in our footprint, including out at Old Waverly and Mossy Oak. By the first of this coming year we’ll be able to activate a capital campaign for each of our athletic facilities.”

So what's on your list?

For me:
bowling in the football stadium.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

Per Selmon: “We just selected a national architecture firm to do a facilities master plan,” he said. “We’re looking at every facility in our footprint, including out at Old Waverly and Mossy Oak. By the first of this coming year we’ll be able to activate a capital campaign for each of our athletic facilities.”

So what's on your list?

For me:
Chairback the whole stadium.
And have them design 5 more hotels in Starkville so weekend costs aren’t $1300***

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

So what's on your list?

For me:
It’d be a lot of trouble to pull-up the lanes and all that equipment every time the football guys needed to use the field…

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

So what's on your list?

For me:
Why bowl in the stadium? Soulless bowls are boring. Do something unique for a football stadium with the south end zone. Something like what we have in Lounge at Dudy Noble would be cool. It wouldn't be THAT hard to put a cantilever roof over it so it would be in the shade. Make the lower part standing room terraces with general admission tickets, keep them cheap. The upper part could be stuff like at the Dude, with a club lounge behind it.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Put a Leach Beach in the SEZ. Would be unique and perfect for 11:00 AM games in September. Add in some pirates during October for Halloween. November convert it to a lake/duck hunting theme.

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
Okay, I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks this way….
Instead of reaching out to a national architecture firm, why not reach across the campus. Don’t we have an architecture school with students and professors? Do they not teach stadium architecture? Do they not have input?

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Football:
1. Bowl in lower area of stadium with chairback seating everywhere in the lower bowl except for the student section.
2. Build a club level for M-Club members above the bowl in the south endzone.

Baseball:
1. Get rid of the stupid concession stand in centerfield and triple the size of the men's room and double the size of the women's room out there.
2. Not really an 'architectural' but a facilities plan: Declare that general admission tickets can sit in any non-club level grandstand seat from the time they enter the stadium until the owner of that seat presents their ticket upon which time they must find another seat or go grab a rail.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Chair back all non-student sections (they'll stand).

Have we ever considered overhang structures for the upper decks? View up there is just fine but you really lose a lot of the game noise the lower bowl enjoys. Seems like an overhang could keep some of that lost noise back in the stadium area. No idea if it's feasible or would really add to the atmosphere- just a thought.

mcfly.sixpack

Mar 21, 2009
Fix the road by the Hump and Sanderson. I had to go over there the other day for the first time since baseball season and it is a complete clusterf***. That is going to be a nightmare in about 10 days.

Reactions: EarlDawg

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
My fantasy wish would be to remove the police building and the guest house, grade that hill back to create a plaza behind the East side.

Nice brick or stone hardscape, lots of shaded seating, a stage for bands, food trucks/concessions. The East side facade is nice. We ought to show it off.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
West side of the football stadium ...

and start over.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Selfish want here. But man it’d be nice to have a great M-Club lounge and seating for former athletes at DWS. I’ve done the current M-Club twice and it’s pretty underwhelming. Unless you’re willing to battle the blue hairs for a seat, watching the game kinda sucks. I’ve left early both times. I’d be fine if it required higher prices for admission to that section to help offset the cost.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

So what's on your list?

For me:
Net roof for the football stadium.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I think soekthnig that would be interesting is to have a section that commemorates big moments in the team's history. I remember many years ago in the Brave's old stadium they had something like that. The one that stuck out to me was a replica of the outfield wall with a marker of how high Otis Nixon had his glove to make that catch over the fence. Even if it's just life size pictures of big moments. A chronological walk through of big plays or statues of our best players.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012

So what's on your list?

For me:
Parking garage or sky rise parking and a tram system to bring you straight into campus.

The tram will also take you down old main if you so choose.

Block off old main of any vehicles for game day. Or University drive…or both.

DESTROY the schitty east of campus with vengeance. The road that leads to the India suburbs, Baptist Student union…bulldog bookstore, all that **** must go. Tear up that road and plant trees.

Disconnect hwy 12 from the campus. Plant trees where it wraps around right there….

Less asphalt, more trees.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I second chair-back seating in the lower bowl.
Chairbacks........ and escalators where appropriate. We screwed up relying on all these elevators. Very inefficient. Escalators much more suited to the Industrial Engineering minds like me. And why not hire Janet Marie? She's one of the best if not THE best sports facilities architects in the world.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

So what's on your list?

For me:

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Chairbacks........ and escalators where appropriate. We screwed up relying on all these elevators. Very inefficient. Escalators much more suited to the Industrial Engineering minds like me. And why not hire Janet Marie? She's one of the best if not THE best sports facilities architects in the world.
I like the escalator idea. Pissed that I didn't think of it.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003

So what's on your list?

For me:
What firm did we select, Sasaki, HOK, or SmithGroup? Those three alone do most of the athletics facilities, campus planning, and stadiums nationwide.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login