National Architectural Firm Selected...

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Since we seem to be relegated to mostly 11am kickoffs, would it be possible to retrofit a shade structure for Davis Wade? Most new open air stadiums have something similar.
Something like these with a blue fabric top to match the SPS tailgate tent.
View attachment 390250 View attachment 390252
I imagine it would be hard to retrofit something like that onto existing structure. Netting would be way easier and is surprisingly better at providing relief than you'd expect.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Okay, I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks this way….
Instead of reaching out to a national architecture firm, why not reach across the campus. Don’t we have an architecture school with students and professors? Do they not teach stadium architecture? Do they not have input?
Option A: Work with professors and students with likely zero experience in stadium or athletic facility design, a highly specialized sector of architecture.

Option B: Contract a nationally recognized firm with individuals whose sole job is to design athletic facilities and have a proven portfolio of successful and well respected designs.

Just because you can design a house or commercial building doesn’t mean you know the first thing about a football stadium, golf course, volleyball arena and so on. Like come on.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Instead of reaching out to a national architecture firm, why not reach across the campus. Don’t we have an architecture school with students and professors? Do they not teach stadium architecture? Do they not have input?
That is dumb. Although our architecture school is fantastic and develop great architects in the profession, as students they are worthless.

It takes a great deal of experience dealing with stadium facilities. It is actually a niche inside the profession that even talented experienced architects do not have the ability to accurately assess issues and potential future goals.

To the best of my knowledge, we do not have a single fixed professor in the school of architecture that is currently practicing Architecture. The only one over there is an associate professor.

If you want the architecture students to do something, let them design and build a bus stop. This is way to complex and frankly would take 1000 man hours to even get the basic information documented and organized.

This is a 6-10 month process, just to define the issue.

The weird thing is, why didn't they name the firm. I hope it was Populous. We have alumni high up in that firm.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Selfish want here. But man it’d be nice to have a great M-Club lounge and seating for former athletes at DWS. I’ve done the current M-Club twice and it’s pretty underwhelming. Unless you’re willing to battle the blue hairs for a seat, watching the game kinda sucks. I’ve left early both times. I’d be fine if it required higher prices for admission to that section to help offset the cost.
The M Club sucks. That is a fact. We could have a lounge that works for recruiting. Instead we have the current MClub.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
What firm did we select, Sasaki, HOK, or SmithGroup? Those three alone do most of the athletics facilities, campus planning, and stadiums nationwide.
Populous is the largest sports design firm in the world, I believe. They worked on Dudy Noble and the North End Zone expansion already.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Fix the road by the Hump and Sanderson. I had to go over there the other day for the first time since baseball season and it is a complete clusterf***. That is going to be a nightmare in about 10 days.
Fix it, hell they aren't even done fvckin it up yet. You are correct though. Those of you that haven't seen that abomination wait until you try to cut through that section of Baily Howell before or after the game next weekend. Then you can start looking forward to basketball and baseball cluster fvcks too. As if getting in and out of campus wasn't hard enough already on gameday......

Also, I talked to a campus cop yesterday and he had some news too. Those of you accustomed to dropping off tailgating stuff in the Junction using Creelman St (road in front of Dorman) it will now be just like it is every time we host GameDay or SEC Nation. It will be closed overnight on Friday night and not open back up until post game. In other words if you have tents, grills, and associated set ups you will no longer be able to access that area by driving up or down Creelman.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
I wouldn't trust anything 22 year old me would have designed straight out of engineering school. They teach you the basics and the principles but real world aplication doesn't happen till a year or so of screwing stuff up and having a good work mentor.

Reactions: StateCollege

Spotdawg

Feb 15, 2007
Selfish want here. But man it’d be nice to have a great M-Club lounge and seating for former athletes at DWS. I’ve done the current M-Club twice and it’s pretty underwhelming. Unless you’re willing to battle the blue hairs for a seat, watching the game kinda sucks. I’ve left early both times. I’d be fine if it required higher prices for admission to that section to help offset the cost.
I don't think we will recognize the M Club soon. Press box and other officials are scheduled to be moved into the endzone which will take about 2/3 of the present M Club space. (Making room for more club level accomodations on the West side of the stadium) I'm not sure what the plan is to accomodate the promises that were made to us when we "voluntarily" agreed to join with the Athletic Administration but am eager to heat what Selmon has to say...and soon.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I may be the only person who appreciated this

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
... to develop an athletics facilities master plan.

Per Selmon: “We just selected a national architecture firm to do a facilities master plan,” he said. “We’re looking at every facility in our footprint, including out at Old Waverly and Mossy Oak. By the first of this coming year we’ll be able to activate a capital campaign for each of our athletic facilities.”

So what's on your list?

For me:
bowling in the football stadium.

I think we’ve all missed the mark here…
I’d put a cattle gap at every entrance to campus, gravel roads.

Also, Waffle House in the South Endzone …..and if we want anything Athletic related to be built on time within the borders of our State…we need to hire Brett Favre as head of construction resource and rendering collective .
1693031984448.gif

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login