National Search

cling84

Aug 22, 2012
Mullen leaves, Moorhead hired. Given two years and stunk up the place. Leach passes away and Arnett promoted. After the Moorhead experience you have to ask -- this is the SEC... Why cant MSU find a good lower level head coach to try it here? There is something wrong with Bulldog football that has not been resolved in a long time (and I graduated 40 years ago)...

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
I agree, and that’s coming from someone who is absolutely not a Keenum fan at all.

It was a dart throw hire no matter who we ended up with. Arnett made as much sense as anyone else that we could have pulled at the time, and was the only one that offered any sort of continuity.
To be fair, how could we possibly have known in 3 days?

Some interested coaches might not have been willing to reach out that fast out of respect.

It would not have hurt to let CZA stay interim until after the bowl game. We should have taken the 3 weeks just to see if anyone we would be interested was interested . If CZA is the best option after the bowl, then you make it official.

Instead, our leadership makes the decision literally days after a shocking and emotional tragedy hits us.

Maybe CZA eventually becomes a great HC. That won’t change the fact that hiring CZA on Dec 15th was rushed and unnecessary

BreckyBratt

Nov 5, 2022
Couldn’t disagree more. I said when we made the hire it was a mistake and I stand by that. Obviously, I hope there are some improvements but it’s hard to imagine at this point. My biggest fear with arnett was he had not been around enough to see how programs should be run. And that’s starting to show. He made a poor OC hire and that in turn is causing everything to break down. The OC might as well be pulling plays out of a hat right now because he has no strategy he’s trying to execute. He’s just throwing s**t against the wall and hoping something sticks. And arnett has no clue how to get the train back on the tracks. It’s been a disaster since game 1. And based on how unprepared the team looks, I can only imagine practice has been a disaster too, lack of experience.

Holding on to a some players or a recruiting class was not worth the disaster that arnett is. 3 games in and he’s in panic mode. If there is not a drastic change, this team might not win a conference game.
Holding onto these mythical players and recruiting classes for "continuity" will kill our football and baseball programs for the foreseeable future. Lemonis should be gone and CZA should still be our DC, if the new HC would keep him for continuity or merit. Seems our leadership is more afraid of making a few mad than doing what's right "for the greater good ".

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Swap out with the entire BYU team and tell them they are on a 5 year mission in Starkvegas.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The only thing that makes me happy is you all finally understand we have more significant problems than just a quarterback. I was tired of hearing about all of the issues being one guy's fault. He has not played well but is not the only person to do so.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Form an engineering perspective the worst thing Arnett did was change too many variables at once. An existing offensive coach should have been promoted to OC. Backfill his position. Hire a DC. Get through year 1. Evaluate.
Well not really knowing offense. But each coach is going to run what they want to run. I think he tried to compromise to much. He is trying to run a different offense with a leach air raid qb. If that's what he was gonna do he should have hit the portal harder. I think he got told no by Briles then scramble to get what he could get at that point it was too late for portal

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
From an engineering perspective the worst thing Arnett did was change too many variables at once. An existing offensive coach should have been promoted to OC. Backfill his position. Hire a DC. Get through year 1. Evaluate.
That’s truth. OCs generally make better HCs than DCs. It was just common sense here. if you have a majority senior team who know nothing but air raid, recruited to play air raid, lineman blocking schemes technique air raid....you are comi g off a 9-4 season...you don’t toss all that in the trash and try to convert into a run heavy scheme guided by a sunbelt Oc with a very shakey resume.

just a clusterf#*$ waiting to happen.

who could not see this coming ? Apparently our rookie head coach.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
The only thing that makes me happy is you all finally understand we have more significant problems than just a quarterback. I was tired of hearing about all of the issues being one guy's fault. He has not played well but is not the only person to do so.
We have issues everywhere but Will is not the answer at QB. We HAVE to move on.

On defense, We need two edge rushers, some speed at the line backing spot, a corner and could use another solid safety. Defensively, our scheme is ok.

On offense, we need upgrades at every single position save a few OL and our two slot guys. We have to transition to a mobile QB in order to be successful against SEC lines. I like the scheme personally but we are botching things by not having an identity, no offensive flow, and countless missed assignments everywhere but running back.

Yea, we suck.

Reactions: dog12

Reunion Doggie

Sep 17, 2023
No AD, a shocking death of a head coach at a not so great time to be hiring a head coach. I don’t blame him for the hire. I’m sure others will feel otherwise and that’s fine but the pool of potential coaches may have not been so great.
Keenum panicked… again…

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
5 and 7 this year at best and then we lose all our veteran players. How do you think 24 is gonna look ? We ordered our coaching staff from Wish. Cheap is never the right decision. Should have done a coaching search or left things as they were for a year to evaluate. Idk. I do know we are trash and this year is gone. Also our recruiting will suffer from this type play. Start Wright and play Parson 4 full games so you get some experience for next year. Or all of them. What 17ing ever. The year is shot. Bout as well be playing young guys

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
My first call would be Willie Fritz at Tulane
Fritz would be a good hire as would Malzahn, need an offensive coach who throws the ball.

Sending this whole staff packing and hiring any number of experienced, legit head coaches like Malzahn or Fritz would be a huge improvement.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
From an engineering perspective the worst thing Arnett did was change too many variables at once. An existing offensive coach should have been promoted to OC. Backfill his position. Hire a DC. Get through year 1. Evaluate.
Yep. We rocked the boat unnecessarily with a veteran roster well versed and experienced in a system far from what we look to be implementing now. Arnett has to be his own man and if he wants to go a different direction long term, that's his prerogative and I respect that. Doing that in Yr 1 is dumb in this circumstance. It's too much change too early and wastes the the biggest reason he was hired in the first place - roster preservation. History may prove him to be a solid HC but I question his program management intelligence. Major red flags here.

Reactions: blitz2Win

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
If we go 4-8 I think it’s possible this is a one and done situation but anything above that and he’s probably back.
I agre. I think it also depends on if we are 7-7 and improving or we get skull drug and look the same as we did today in the egg bowl. Dan went 5-7 and improved. He also didn't have a loaded roster. It looks like our defense is deplete of talent from our recruiting last few years. Didn't sign enough studs on defense. We can't cover for ****. We have no speed at the edge and can't contain. On offense we have talent at receiver but we can't get them the ball. We have good backs but can't get them the ball with space to run. That's line scheme, play calling, and lack of talent at qb to make the defense honest all rolled into one bad offense

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login