NCAA EA Football - Apologies if German…

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
I haven’t played a video game in years, but I may buy an X-Box for this game.

ll Martain ll

Oct 5, 2014
Maybe this should be a poll instead, but do you guys in your 40s still play video games? I’m not flaming here. Serious question.
Not quite 40 yet (39), but I do, a lot more casually than my past. Married with an almost 2 year old, I usually only play during some naps or after her bedtime, and certainly not everyday. I've migrated from multiplayer FPS with friends online to mostly pausable single player games.

I do plan on playing some NCAA Football.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
Maybe this should be a poll instead, but do you guys in your 40s still play video games? I’m not flaming here. Serious question.
I have an old X-Box One that I bought about ten years ago. Haven’t played it since my oldest was born eight years ago.

Reactions: DerHntr

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006

I do. Rarely get more than maybe an hour or two every other day or so since becoming a parent, but if I had the free time I'd MUCH rather stay in and play a game than go out.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I wish like hell I had the time, I used to love playing EA games, Doom, Knights of the Old Republic, Outlaw Golf!

The last console game I got was Red Dead Redemption. Looked great and was fun to play, but it took me over a year to finish it. Got the Civ 6 game for my computer when it first came out, but never play it.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Rob Van Dam Sport GIF by WWE

Bdog9090

Aug 11, 2008
I do. I enjoy it more than passive entertainment like watching shows/movies. Interestingly enough, the average age of someone that plays video games is 35. I would imagine mobile games have a lot to do with that.

Reactions: Seinfeld

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
I’m not quite 40 but I do play a good bit. I plan to get NCAA EA college football and fully expect to be frustrated at how terrible I am.
My wife said the other day she was excited to try it, which blew me away. She will play some things from time to time, mostly nostalgic stuff like Mario or Crash or Spyro. I never knew her to play NCAA though so I don’t think it’s nostalgia.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I’m not quite 40 but I do play a good bit. I plan to get NCAA EA college football and fully expect to be frustrated at how terrible I am.
My wife said the other day she was excited to try it, which blew me away. She will play some things from time to time, mostly nostalgic stuff like Mario or Crash or Spyro. I never knew her to play NCAA though so I don’t think it’s nostalgia.
She is trying to establish dominance. Better watch out or you’ll be the one in the kitchen making sandwiches.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I do. I enjoy it more than passive entertainment like watching shows/movies. Interestingly enough, the average age of someone that plays video games is 35. I would imagine mobile games have a lot to do with that.
This describes me. It's incredible to me how there is about 100x the TV content compared to 20-30 years ago, yet maybe 10% of the quality of content in my opinion. Over the last few days, we've watched the Sandlot, Independence Day, Remember the Titans, and Friday because no one could think of anything that's come out in ten years that we'd rather watch.

Like you, at least half of the reason that I still play video games is because the story lines are better than the vast majority of shows on TV

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Yes, I’ve got a couple of pc games I’ve been hooked on for years. Also have all my old gaming systems and still play them occasionally - ps2, nes, snes.

Like others have said, I don’t watch tv (other than sports) so I’ll go thru cycles of playing video games - particularly during dead times like this when there’s no college sports or nfl to watch. Just the weekends. During fall or spring I may go 2-3 months without playing at all.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
This describes me. It's incredible to me how there is about 100x the TV content compared to 20-30 years ago, yet maybe 10% of the quality of content in my opinion. Over the last few days, we've watched the Sandlot, Independence Day, Remember the Titans, and Friday because no one could think of anything that's come out in ten years that we'd rather watch.

Like you, at least half of the reason that I still play video games is because the story lines are better than the vast majority of shows on TV
I watch very little TV now. It’s either doing something with my kids and wife, watching sports, or video games. Very little scripted TV.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
No, but like 615 mentioned, I'm fighting a very serious urge to buy a new console just for this game.

I do bust out the old Xbox or N64 and put a whoopin' on my 6 yo son every now and then.

Reactions: DerHntr

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
ETA: This turned into a longer post than I intended.

I was helping move my wife's grandfather into another assisted living facility (they all moved up from Tampa recently) and I remarked that our generation's (Gen X or more truthfully Gap Gen) care homes will be the first with ridiculous wifi and console gaming up and down the halls. Also at 92, that man's faculties are astounding.

I pretty much stopped all gaming a when my Xbox 360 gave me the red ring of death after years of working fine. My wife had a PS4 when I met her. I would always bring up RDR whenever my stepchildren would talk about games as the single best game I'd ever played. One Christmas she bought me RDR2 and I started playing a few hours most nights before bed. It took me a year and a half to beat it at that pace. I was hooked again.

After that on a birthday she bought me a refurbished PS3 and RDR1 so I could play that again. Then all of the God of Wars for another Christmas, now that I had the older console. I played through all of those so that I could play the new to me PS4 GoW. Alas, I have a 17 month old running around and this game is proving too difficult to get into without serious regularity of play.

TL : DR I stopped playing for 5-10 years. Met the wife, who indulges a few of my bachelor life hobbies. Started playing again. As someone else mentioned, we stream some shows, but generally don't watch much TV other than live sports (and then it's 95% only State). Long games are better entertainment that many movies or TV.

Last edited:

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Nah. There are certain things you just have to give up when you reach a certain age: living in your folks’ basement, narcissism, video games, thinking 90s music was good, fanny packs, etc.************

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I tried to start playing again when we had our youngest 4 years ago. Got a play station 4 from my younger brother when he wanted an x box. I played grand theft auto 5 but after that just couldn’t get back in to playing regularly. I’ll play an online madden game every so often with one of my brothers. But otherwise my 10 year old daughter has discovered fortnight with her friends and she plays way more than I do.

However, I could definitely see my brothers and I playing the new college football game online.

Oct 17, 2023
I'm 40nineteen. I have never gotten into video games. Growing in the dark ages, we had what I think was the very first game, Atari Pong. I was much more into being outside. I raced motocross, played baseball, soccer, ran track and hunted all winter. I was not and still am not able to sit and enjoy playing video games. I would rather be outside doing something or watching a game/race on tv.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I do, but with 3 young kids the time for it is very minimal. I actually finished GoW Ragnarok DLC a couple weeks ago, and was just about to pop in a game tonight (replay of either Midnight Suns or Arkham Knight), but a kid woke up and now I'm here on my phone waiting on another to be out, and by then it'll be too late. Thems the breaks.

The one game I have avoided starting is Civ 6. That way lies divorce and kids who don't know who I am. I'll come back to Civ when I retire.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Y'all getting ready? Here's a really good article that amped me up a lot more that I can download it when I get home tonight.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I do occasionally. My kids are usually playing, but if I have a moment, which is rare, I'll play Madden or MLB the Show. I can't get into Fortnight or Minecraft. I am going to make some time to play NCAA, though.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I do, but with 3 young kids the time for it is very minimal. I actually finished GoW Ragnarok DLC a couple weeks ago, and was just about to pop in a game tonight (replay of either Midnight Suns or Arkham Knight), but a kid woke up and now I'm here on my phone waiting on another to be out, and by then it'll be too late. Thems the breaks.

The one game I have avoided starting is Civ 6. That way lies divorce and kids who don't know who I am. I'll come back to Civ when I retire.
I just leave Civ running on my pc for days at a time and just a play few turns when I can.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Consider the source, which is a 14 year old who says he's an Ole Miss fan on part to spite me and also because all of his friends have brainwashed him, but he made the comment a little while ago while playing the new EA game that "the Mississippi State quarterback is really good". I said Shapen? and he said yes. I hope that translates to real on field performance.

Reactions: eckie1

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Consider the source, which is a 14 year old who says he's an Ole Miss fan on part to spite me and also because all of his friends have brainwashed him, but he made the comment a little while ago while playing the new EA game that "the Mississippi State quarterback is really good". I said Shapen? and he said yes. I hope that translates to real on field performance.
He looked very good in the spring game. Not sure if he’s that good, or our defense is that bad.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Just threw a 60-yard bomb with Shapen. I recognize very few names on our team including the WR that caught the pass

Also, the cheer-leading squad is, let's say, not very representative of Mississippi State.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: eckie1 and mcdawg22

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I don’t very often, but I’ll go through spurts. I love me some Forza, and can get caught up in that for hours.

Outside of that, it’s the occasional NES…. Tecmo Super Bowl, RBI baseball, Contra (#konamicode), Zelda, Metroid, Kung Fu…. Never, ever gets old.

Reactions: dawgman42

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
So far, enjoying it. Criticisms are minor:
1. You could've at least sorted the coach heads by race so I didn't have to go through all 350 to see that there were zero bald guys included. Between the online warning, that, the defaults chosen, the cheerleaders....some things feel intentional.
2. What the heck is the band doing during pregame? No college band is that out of step.
3. Definitely made it difficult to understand what the Ultimate packs/items were going to be about. Had I known, I wouldn't have paid extra for a few days of early release.

Still getting a feel for gameplay.

ETA:
-Going to bump up the difficulty for game 2. Freshman (default) might as well be name your score against an FCS opponent.
-Running game with all the juking options is fun. Running game with the QB seems iffy. Square should slide according to the tips, but it's still a dive.
-Animations on pass defense are better than say, NCAA 2010, but not by much. Still some very odd behavior when a pass gets near players.
-Pieces of the game atmosphere feel really slick, and others, not so much.... Whomever decided to include the band for crowd shots should've noticed how crappy they look, then gotten the person who handled the fan closeups or the pack howitzer to redo them. Oh, and I swear some of the cheerleader shots are verbatim from old editions, just with new skins.
-Be careful on field goal blocks. I pulled up short of the kicker and still got a roughing penalty.
-I couldn't get the halftime "show" to stop. What am I missing?

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgman42
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login